Myopia and Presbyopia

Planning on doing a video explaining the interactions of myopia and presbyopia and how to sort out both at the same time.

It’s a bit of a complicated one and on the long list of things I keep dodging. :dizzy_face:

Planned for this week though laptop just went kaputt so we’ll have to hang on and wait for this one till the hardware is back online. Stay tuned!

16 Likes

I will definitely stay tuned for this one! My husband is presbyotic and keeps asking me how to solve this.

Ah, I think this is what I need. Hopefully it’s available soon.

May want to check this one out…

2 Likes

I’m also getting somewhat closer to the release of an actual mentored BackTo20/20 For Presbyopia program.

Wasn’t going to, been saying already too busy with just myopia for years and years. But … people smarter than me finally convinced me that if we were to sell more stuff (like things that are requested frequently), we’d be able to afford more professional help with endmyopia. Like developers for the logging tools I keep talking about, and phone app to measure myopia, and PR stuff and even just proof reading all my terrible rambles (maybe even better videos with visuals explaining things).

I do worry that this is just going to be making it ‘worse’ as far as time spent in front of screens for me, but … at least will give it a shot.

Long story short, at least for a little while there’ll be a structured approach, with support from me, for presbyopia. :hot_face::wink:

4 Likes

2 Likes

This would be really great. I’m really struggling with knowing how to approach my presbyopia and work on myopia at the same time.

1 Like

Is there a video for this yet or is it still in the works? I’d love to know since I’m starting to experience some presbyopia while I begin my EM journey.

I think I posted one a while ago on our Youtube channel. Also a few things in the blog.

(Paid) presbyopia program may be live as early as next week. Send me a quick e-mail if you want in on that - it’s going to be very much in ‘beta’ for a while, so if you do expect various hiccups and ongoing improvement.

Side note: Just yesterday one of the members of the FB group posted code for an app to make the front facing camera on Android phones do the diopter / centimeter measuring for you. Super cool, now we have that option both for (some) iPhones and Android. But also back to the issue that somebody has to have time and skills to support these things on an ongoing basis. Hence … I really have to find more balance between free and paid / supported stuff so we can keep making more good things happen.

2 Likes

Ok. Saw the videos on myopia and presbyopia. Thanks, Jakey!

I used to just go to the optometrist and get glasses. I had no idea what my prescription was. Sigh… Well, I’m not like that anymore.

I’ve had progressive glasses for several years now (I’m 53), and I started to develop recurrent headaches and neck pain; like every two weeks I’d get a headache that would only be resolved by a chiropractor adjustment. I finally figured out the cause was a combination of forward head posture and tilting my chin way up to see through the bottom of my progressive lenses, especially if using the desktop computer or looking at stuff on a shelf in a store. I worked on my posture, but the progressive glasses were forcing me to continue the tilting my chin up, or hold the glasses up with one hand to see. Ugh.

I saw my ophthalmologist and got separate glasses for distance and near vision. My new distance glasses are
R= -0.75. -2.25/003
L= -1.00. -1.75/176

For near
R= +1.25. -2.25/003
L= +1.00. -1.75/176

I also, after discussing it with the eye doc, removed the vertical prism correction, which was R= BD 3.5. L= BU 3.5
I want to see if I absolutely need it. When I first got the prism correction, it was because I found that in the evening I tended to get double vision while watching tv. At that time, over 6 years ago, I was on multiple prescription meds and was drinking a lot and smoking a buttload of ganja; that might have contributed to the double vision…ahem. I’ve been off meds and not using any intoxicants for about 6 years now. (For as long as I can remember, when I’d use binoculars I’d get two images. When I have something blocking the eyes like that, the left eye drifts a bit, an ophthalmologist finally observed.)

I got my glasses from Zenni last week. I’ve been wearing them for almost a week now. My eyes are adjusting, but clearly get tired by the afternoon. If I’m driving, I take my old glasses with me in case I start having trouble getting a single image. I can wink my right eye and get a sharp single image, but that’s tiring.
I figure it’ll take a while to get those muscles accustomed to working together on focusing again.

So, between the astigmatism and getting my eye muscles back in shape, I don’t really have a point where I see perfectly clear without glasses, so I’m not sure how to do cm to blur measuring. I put up the three meter Snellen chart and have been working with that, noting any changes through the day and day to day. I’m trying to do active focus on both near and far print.

I have found that if the distance is less than arms length, the distance glasses are too much, and the near glasses are really just for stationary near work. In fact, I found that just removing the distance glasses for doing stuff closer than arms length that isn’t reading print smaller than 12 point font is fine.

I’m reading the Endmyopia website blogs, watching videos, and coming here to learn as I work on improving and being patient. I’m keeping a journal, noting my observations on when the double vision is there and how clear things are and when.

If y’all have any suggestions, please suggest!

2 Likes

No case specific advice from me in this forum, but clearly on the right track. Untangling artificial focal plane complexity is always a great first step.

Also bad posture and progressive lenses, something I hear about quite a bit. Not natural, having to look down to read, seems to tweak up posture for some.

1 Like

Nice vid Jake, nice sharp focus with this camera and very limited rambling :slight_smile:

So this is what I take home from the video and some follow-up questions:

1. I get from the vid that there is a logical relationship between your degree of myopia and your ability to see up close. I assume that a more elongated eyeball needs less lens-flex (so ciliary doesn’t need to tighten as much) to get a close object focussed on the retina as a rounder eyeball would. Is that indeed the mechanics of it?
    In my case, distance blur currently varies around about 27cm and close-up blur varies around 12cm. Question: is there some kind of guidance available somewhere what a “normal ratio” between these two blur-points might be (ratio commonly decreasing with age)? Example: my (distance blur / close-up blur) is 27cm/12cm = 2,25 and I am 40 years old. Would we expect another 40 year old who maybe has a distance blur of 50cm to have close-up blur at 22cm (this being equal to 50cm/2,25)?
    [edit:] I guess I’m referring to amplitude of accommodation here, just read about it, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplitude_of_accommodation

2. From the vid I hear Jake talk about the habitual challenge concept we use to reduce our myopia applying similarly to presbyopia - and I think he specifically refers to the fact that when we use minus lenses and look up close, we’re adding extra close-up challenge that therefore helps to counteract presbyopia. Question: would the challenge we’re introducing have an eyeball-elongating effect or would it have a positive effect on lens-flexibility? The latter would be the real winner in terms of counteracting presbyopia, right?

I would love a tiered option for the “Back to 20/20”, and I presume there would be much more paying user (especially from outside of USA / Western-Europe) if it would be implemented. I presume the biggest cost in the program (for you) is your time. As far as I understand (let me now if I’m mistaken) in the current program you provide full support for the users. So if they have any problem you will check it and answer it as many times as it’s needed. So I presume (again, let me know if I’m mistaken) if you would give less attention then you could lower the price of the program. So maybe call the current program the “unlimited Guru attention” or “personal Guru” version and add some limited version(s) too. For example you only give case specific advice once per month per user. Or the users can request case specific advice 5 times a year. Etc. Or give a totally unsupported version (which only gives the text / video content of the program) and users could buy your time as extra when they need it. In this way not just users with less money could access the program (which means more income for endmyopia) but you could also plan your time more (because you know how much request will you have at max. in a timeframe)

2 Likes

Yes currently any paid participation has unlimited support from me. Which … definitely not sustainable for more than the few invites I do per month.

Been thinking about doing something like what you say, like ‘metered’ amount of support inquiries.

3 Likes