Myopia stabilizes as you age?

When I was of age 13 I got my first pair of glasses of -1.25 and -1. I was super excited as I didn’t know it will cause more problems.I regret getting them.My father asked the optometrist if I could get rid of my glasses.

She said,“No,Only when he becomes 20,his eyes will become fine”

Is it true?I am 16 now.Tired of wearing the glasses.If it’s true,then should I wait more 4 years?

I don’t my teenage to go waste.Wanna try new things but these things on my nose make me believe I can’t do risky or adventurous things.
Wanna meet new people but feel awkard talking with these glasses.

If it will stabilize as I age,then should I waste more years or improve my vision??

If you ask us, of course we’re gonna say you should jump right in and not waste any more time with optometrist BS. Everyone starts out unconvinced, then they try vision improvement stuff here and there, find it works, gets an eye test or two confirming it works and then they continue on.

Did your ancestors 50,000 years ago find that their eyes ‘aged’ and became more myopic over time? No. Glasses didn’t exist either, there was no profit incentive for big companies to induce eye conditions in people’s eyes for money, etc.

Buuut, read loads of stuff and come to your own conclusions :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks.I will try this out.:blush::slightly_smiling_face:

simple answer is “no”.
why would 20 be a magic age/number?

if you spend a lot of time outdoors looking into the distance you COULD get rid of your glasses at age 18 or 22, or whatever, who knows?

1 Like

Not true. But did she agree to provide all future glasses free of charge if it doesn’t happen? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

No,I will ask :joy::joy:

1 Like

Thank You :slightly_smiling_face:

It’s not clear to me whether by “stabilizes” you mean “reverses” or “does not get any worse”. Also where has your refraction gone since the first one at age 13.

From my reading and experience: yes most myopes have an increase in myopia through teen years or into the late teens or early twenties. Then it stabilizes, meaning stays nearly the same for many years. Ditto for a slight improvement in vision, spontaneously, in the late 20’s. So IF you defend your eyesight against getting any worse and it’s only 1 D or so by your mid-twenties then possibly you would “age out” of needing glasses then…and that’s a lot of “IFs” but it has been done and not so rarely.

My brother had about -1.00 D in late teen years – did a pretty casual eyework for a couple years – completely outgrew glasses and hasn’t needed them for 40 years.

1 Like

Obviously collecting such evidence requires decades of observation, so such “stagnation” is typically observed about people who most probably grew up without screens (excluding TV which is not true close-up), but screen usage has changed a lot just recently.
I think “stagnation” was true before “screen age”. When people did a lot less close up work once finished school - less reading / writing. It stayed about the same even when PCs appeared - as they were not immediately available to everyone and companies took care about building proper work stations.
But I don’t think it is still true in the “smartphone era”. With the small screen and the social media widespread, there is no longer an age-limit for constant close-up. Though can be still true for people not working in offices if they are not glued to their smartphones (drivers, chefs, people working in shops and restaurants, farmers, just to mention a few)

Edit:
Hans Rosling used to say that what you are told/taught by a middle-aged professional is often likely to be something he or she learned while studying in school and it was the fresh knowledge at that time, but may be easily outdated by 20 or 30 years by the time you hear it from them. (Respectful exceptions are the ones who keep learning and questioning, even after practicing for decades.)

1 Like

You’re so lucky!
At such a young age you should be able to reverse your myopia very quickly!
Start now!!!

1 Like

Sure,I will.

Thank You :slightly_smiling_face: