Near esophoria associated with high myopia

After some time of monitoring my cm measurements it looks like I found what creates more and more myopia in my eyes: the enemy comes at night, because I clearly see that my cm measurements are much worse at morning after sleep: the mean numbers are 0.25 more sphere, but sometimes it goes to about 1.25 more sphere than in evening or right after long distance vision trip. For example, 2 days ago, when I looked at nose for a long time, about 3 hours maybe (because I was done enforcing my eyes to look straight, at the next day vertical lines were very blurred at 12.5 cm (that corresponds -8, a usual sphere value for right eye). I put test image closer and closer to eye, and the result was: 10.9 cm, that’s about -9.25! After about 3 hours, it went back to -8. As well, it was hard to look in contacts: there were two images, each blurred like I see without correction, really! Yes, maybe 20% less blur, but it was hard to read big enough (5 cm) text from 1 m.

I remember myself that right after waking up, even a long time ago, the first thing I seen was my (single) nose. I used to see a lot at it, it was very comfortable for me.

Yes, basically my eyes think I look very very close nights and nights for ~10 years? Sometimes my eyes look rather at sides than at each other when I sleep, though, but I don’t know how much they do first and second. There’s no need to do first for long, because even 30 cm close up worsens distance vision enough (immediately after it). Shortening of internal rectus muscles (convergence) turns on accommodation (if extreme convergence, then maximum accommodation), no matter I need it or not.

@Dlskidmore, perhaps you’d really want to seriously look at it, because my opinion is that I am not the only one person who has such things.

@FMR, I can really have “high myopia ciliary spasm” you talked about - you see that in fact I used accommodation a lot due to this?

1 Like

It sounds as if you should have had vision therapy for esophoria at a much younger age. But I think you are still young enough to benefit from it. It would seem that close vision is more harmful for you that most other people, and you should perhaps make a very strict rule for yourself to alternate even 10 minutes of close vision with a long enough middle or far distance vision break. I know this is likely to be very irritating when you are concentrating on your work at screen distance. Also, perhaps do not measure your eyes first thing in the morning - give your eyes time to adjust before you measure them. You don’t need any more discouragements than you already have. :grinning:

2 Likes

Is vision therapy at older age not helpful?

I’ve done a lot of diverging exercise: look at your face in a mirror and make third eye, pushing eyes one from other as far as it is possible. Perhaps 30-300 times per one round.

It has been shown to be effective in adults as well - but it may take a bit longer. I did have a look for this quite a while ago, but don’t think I linked to any articles. I am sure you can find them.

I found this for a start - pretty encouraging.

If I am not mistaken @Bigkittyqueen is undergoing vision therapy for vergence problems. Sorry if I got this wrong.

It is now better enough after exercise I wrote you about - I can even look down without double vision.

But, I can’t look left or right, because I immediately encounter double vision (it’s the most terrible in left gaze, along with not so slight rotation of right eye’s image in left gaze).

Perhaps this is also the cause/factor of astigmatism I have. Because right eye seem to rotate more than left and turn up - some problem with oblique muscles or vertical rectus pair I guess.

I will try to find a similar vision therapy where I live - but due to current Covid and family relations issue I can migrate to one dumb town later for some time, it’s unlikely there’s any vision therapy there. So I wonder whether I can have something portable like @kem has. @kem, do you know what they use for equal binocular esophoria?

Bernell tranglyph. It’s a plastic device with red and green tinted holograms on a sliding frame.

Are you sure this is for eSophoria and not eXo?

Buying at the Bernell site is available only to professionals…

Yeah, they’re like that. You can get a prescription to buy it yourself.

Depending on which way and how you slide the holographs, it works both exo and eso.

1 Like

So, eventually I figured out what are the causes that deteriorate(d) my eyes:

• Esophoria (it enables 3 D and more of accommodation all time I relax/close my eyes, thus worsening my myopia over time, as it was found even just before/after sleep, so maybe in sleep). It was incredibly simple, since morning = more myopia and evening = less myopia -> Divergence exercise and figuring out what’s wrong with superior oblique oculi muscle and CN IV nerve, since I lose control over it after a few seconds using it to see far while my gaze is down or see far with posteriorly bent head
  • Teeth, cranial alignment (due to this several extraocular muscles work tighter as they must appear shorter), muscle patterns (causing my spine to curve and vertebraes rotate - bad blood and nerve communication while neck has a curve and its vertebraes slipped/rotated) -> Starecta, mewing, PRI
1 Like

This is true at least in my case since I have high myopia (OD -7.5 and OS -6.5) I also have 12 prism diopters of near esophoria which turns to esotropia if I am tired or stressed. I also have esophoria/tropia at distance but not as much. They recently found out that I also have severe accommodation and convergence issues. My myopia started to rapidly increase (3 diopters in 4 years) in my mid twenties when I started studying in university and got an office job. I’m quite sad that they never checked my convergence issues until now…

1 Like

Thank you for sharing.
Do you have cylinder/astigmatism?

I’d say you can get more pronounced improvement as there could be a ciliary spasm (however it can be much more hard to get over). It can be slightly more than 2 D.

1 Like

Yes, I have mild astigmatism OD -0.75 ax 70 and OS -1.25 ax 50. I thankfully found and optometrist who prescribed me close-up glasses that are OD -6 and OS -5. She also said that because of my condition I should never have been prescribed with overcorrection since it will only accelerate my myopia and make my esophoria worse. So she also prescribed me slightly undercorrected glasses that are about 20/25. <3

I use prism: 5 PD OU for laptop and 10 PD OU (with +1.5) for phone/book.

Although I am on contact lenses. I have high myopia: OD -7.75 cyl -2.25 180 OS -8.25 cyl -1.25 170. And esophoria/tropia (can’t look maximum sideways without double vision). I fix that using biomechanical treatment (Starecta and moving to ALF or OSB / Sodis.a.p.f.), mewing and prism glasses.

So I use contacts for astigmatism, Air Optix w/ or w/o HydraGlyde were the best for me. Biofinity is perfect if you don’t need cylinder - I tried it but I need like -7.5 (I don’t want that much as it will mean -9 for distance and full correction) to comfortably read laptop and I’m not satisfied with right eye vision, mainly in the distance with additional -1.5 glasses. You can even sleep with any of these (however I don’t or that would be not at night). So no problems and it seems a dental splint has lessened dry eyes to a minimum - jaw alignment strangely changes such symptoms, thus it does not bother me even without drops.

I think that I might have lot of ciliary spasm because I used to be farsighted when l was a kid. I even wore plus lenses. And now I’m high myope…

Never heard of hyperopia translating to myopia. But yes, ciliary spasm sometimes happens independently of near work or overcorrection.