New and in need of some direction

Hello all!.

I am brand new member which is coming to terms with the world of change and how to address my astigmatism. I have not worn glasses most of my life but probably should have from late teens, knowing that I am now at a fairly high astigmatism in both eyes…I am here to try and implement change.

My most recent prescription reads as :
sph -0.25. Cyl -2.75 axis 80

L sph -0.50 Cly -2.25 axis 86

So for what I do and don’t know, I have low sph correction available but fair big chunk of cyl. I am back at the opticans today as I find my current prescription maybe a touch to strong but that maybe just me… I say that as feel that most objects are a touch magnified…
Should I ask to try the lesser Cly lens when there ?.

I also suffer from pesky floaters as they are referred to and really do my head in… Just asking people’s advice and experiences. Anything to guide me would be tremendous.

Kind regards

Jamie

1 Like

Welcome to the forum

Most optos correct vision to 20/15 or 20/13 (or even 20/10).
While 20/20 and 20/25 are already considered good vision and enough to read signs and texts as planned (e.g. menus over the counter are designed to be readable by 1 to 5 people in the queue. Ads on the opposite side of the platforms are designed to be readable while you are waiting for your train, etc).
And in most countries it is legal to drive without glasses with 20/40 vision.

You can always tell the opto that since COVID restrictions you spend more time in front of your laptop, your study is well lit and you find your current prescription too strong. They won’t give you differentials, but they will most likely correct you to normal vision only around 20/25 revealing which part of your prescription is an obvious overcorrection.

Have you seen this post yet?
Also @Salt put together a good “Guide-ish” on cylinder reduction

1 Like

Hello! Thanks for your reply. Well my eyes are becoming progressively worse since sitting in my spare room and lack of outside time…even the bright days like today I find myself squinting a touch…

I just don’t want to reliant but what I am finding is the one’s I have make anything in close peripheral vision magnified nuts and out of focus…to the point of to much. I am due there later today and want this optician to see what it is and maybe go for a slightly reduced lens?.
Also does flat lens make any difference ? The current is more curved or so I have been told.

Thanks for your reply

Do you think I would ask what the current prescription gives me in terms of 20/20? And then ask for maybe 20/25 or if it is say 20/10 then ask for 20/20?.It is a minefield.

The opto’s shop is a restaurant with a menu. But it is the opto who chooses for you and they usually don’t like “clever clients” who have already made up their minds on what’s better for themselves.

So realistically speaking I cannot imagine that you can really negotiate on the correction by directly telling them what you want. You can ask what visual acuity their suggested prescription gives you - and then they will most probably tell you the 20/__ number.

Reading the 20/20 line means that a person who doesn’t need glasses can read that text from 20 feet = from about 6 meters. 20/25 means that the same person can read the text from 25 feet, too => so it is a slight undercorrection if you can only read the 20/25 line. While 20/15 means that the same person - who doesn’t need glasses - could only read it from 15 feet distance => you are overcorrected to eagle eyes.

So you can gently and tactfully “guide” the optician towards less correction by saying your current one or the one they measured feels a bit too much especially when looking at the laptop screen.
If that doesn’t work you can just ask for a copy of the measurement and then order from Zenni or other online retailer once you read enough and made a decision how to tweak it. It’ll be cheaper anyway.

It’s because you have been wearing full distance vision correction for a distance less than an arm’s length. No wonder your eyes got worse.

Basically cyl means that you have more correction added to a part of the lens only. It’s like putting something under one leg of the wobbly table. This imbalance is created by bad habits or circumstances as you could read at the link I put in my previous post.

We can give you our opinions but you’ll have to make a decision. And I’d suggest that will start with measuring your eyesight for a few weeks before you order the first non-opto prescription.
Recommended readings: this and this

1 Like

Yeah thanks for your input. I think asking what the current lens gives me then I can ask to see if it could be less magnified… as you say me asking or telling them may just go no where…but yeah I find if I have them on I can only use them for driving but now if I go to my laptop I notice a blur… What I do notice is watching tv which is about 7 ft from where is sit too close and warps the monitor and not comfortable to watch… seems to make one part clear but out of proportion…really random to me.

The starting point as you say is knowing what my eyes are at and go from there… anything else to ask them ?.

I need to dig out on how to measure my sight myself.

That sounds like too much distortion by the added cyl which is usually more disturbing close up.

I linked it above for cyl - which is a bit tricky but @Astigmatism_Assasin’s guide is good. Or some people prefer measurement with the stenopaeic slit method - type it in the search box and you’ll find links to that, too.

Otherwise this is where you’ll find everything in one place:

You can always ask them if they believe in myopia reversal and if they follow Jake :joy:

1 Like

Ah yeah no I think I wouldn’t get a reply lol… I am a bit nervous truth be told…

Just think about it like this:
You will now get a baseline full correction prescription from the opto - eagle eyes for distance vision under worst conditions, i.e. in a dark room with some anxiety.
Many people skip this and later have no idea where they started exactly.
So let the opto draw the starting line for you and all you have to do is to make a note of it.
You’ll report your gains compared to that line.
That’s all. :blush:

Well I tempted to measure using the chart in n the guide and failed… I just used the one online and didn’t print it off…not sure if the image needs to be a set size to measure this accurately.

Well been to opticians and said they are pretty much correct in current state… he said I can see the horizontal but not the vertical that well . I am assuming this is the axis I need hearing about… the weird distortion I see is the way I am interpreting it all. . why do I feel there are no adjustments to be made. He was very institutional by saying put these on “you see better”,"take them off you don’t "
Any diopter drop would do me!! lens are fine or entity I am told

My previous prescription back in 2019 is listed as

R sph -1.75. . Cly+ 2.00 axis 170
L sph -1.75. Cly +2.00 axis 5…

In two years it looks massively different but that is pretty much same as my current? Just written differently.

They wrote your 2019 prescription in plus cylinder, the minus equivalent is as follows:

R +0.25 SPH -2.0 CYL axis 80
L +0.25 SPH -2.0 CYL axis 95

https://www.aclens.com/positive-cyl-converter

So your current prescription is stronger than it was in 2019 (makes sense if you have been wearing the glasses all the time for near work when they’re not helpful for you.)

No the thing is I didn’t wear my glasses at all during this period.

vs. the 2019 correction (with pos cyl converted)

Your new prescription is a lot stronger on the SPH and the left eyes axis is significantly different.
I guess your biggest discomfort comes from the changed axis of the cyl. At 86 now you are corrected by more than -1.5D vs. the previous +0.25D. At 95 degrees you were corrected with about -1D and now corrected by -0.5D only. (I’m saying about as there is a gradual change between sph and cyl) And these 2 changes are within the same eye!
Plus all other parts of both eyes now get corrected by an extra -0.75D…

If you got this new prescription confirmed by 2 different optos, then it is possible that actually this should be the correct opto correction if you are playing in the subscription game. It doesn’t mean you will have to accept them or train your eyes to get used to them
To start the EM game, you will need measurements. I’d say first of all you should decide which pair of glasses give you better vision, what acuity they give you on the Snellen exactly. Which one gives you blur, which one in which eye gives you DV, etc.

Yeah I am guessing the prescription is fairly correct even though I feel. Yeah I ain’t had the email on how to measure correctly… I tried yesterday and didn’t seem to get it right… I will need to try this… Bloody frustrating from having no glasses to these and the magnification difference. I hope and pray I may be able to lessen my dp with the aid of some differential glasses…once I do my measurements ?

Because you have almost no sph and a significant amount of cyl, I’d really focus on your environment and habits trying to find out where the difference within the eye is coming from. Basement flat with high window? Roof window? Spot lamp from the left? Looking down to the laptop screen? Tilting head? Main monitor on one side? Driving a lot in strong sunshine with various solutions of shielding? Watching movies from the sofa always taking the same position side ways? Current glasses cutting your vision in half? other?

Because you have almost no sph and a significant amount of cyl, it will be a bit more challenging to measure diopters for yourself. But despite the difference in sph and cyl, actually your overall correction is still quite low. So bit of a wild card for the start, instead of cm measurement, I’d focus on reading Snellen at 6m without glasses, with old glasses, with new glasses. And observe what you can read effortlessly, with a bit of awareness/blinking/pushing and with trying hard. When it’s blurry is it fading away greyish or is it same black just bold letters overlapping? Is it blurry or is it double vision (2 sharp images not aligned) or ghosting in a certain direction (1 sharp and 1 blurry image not aligned)?
Then walk close to the Snellen chart without corrections / with old glasses / with new glasses and measure how far you can walk from the Snellen before you can no longer read the 20/20 line.
When you look at a Snellen at 3m, at 6m and at 1.5m (yes, I know, this is a non standard distance) do you see the different parts of the Snellen chart differently especially when you do this without corrections? Which part goes greyish first before all goes unreadable?
If you take a book, can you read it without glasses? at what distance? Do you have a max distance for books with your glasses or is that way over your arm’s length?

A note on “what can you read”: it can be a bit blurry or with a bit of DV, but you have to be 100% certain that the O is not a C, the P is not an F etc. Don’t cheat to get better results. :wink:

These are needed to be observed in my view to be able to figure out if your left eye’s axis is 86 or 95. Though if you wore 86 for years and that used to give you clear vision (did your old glasses give you clear vision?) then most probably that is a good axis to work with.
By the way, if you drive: what are you wearing now for that when your new corrections are too disturbing/distorting and the old ones are not enough?
I don’t know about your habits, but have you worked on reducing smart phone time? screen time? have you found an outdoor hobby to get you distance vision time?

Depending on your observations, you may not need differential glasses. You may be able to work in front of the monitor without corrections. Or may not. You’ll have to make a judgement on old axis vs new axis. The observations and measurements will suggest what to drop from cyl, what to convert to sph maybe.

1 Like

Wow alot to process…first off my job is ICT…so stuck on a computer for years, approximately 15… interestingly to note that my vision massively changed (I think so) from changing role and stuck sitting in front of a screen for longer periods,less breaks. Prior i was in and out of the office more frequently and less so in the last 8 years.
Luckily I am changing again and I think it is going to be in and out more frequently again! So maybe great for vision.
Yeah well I moved into my house a year back and my office is to the back, it gets moderate natural light I am looking to middle and right as I use two screens.
When I watch TV mainly with lights off or lamp on and to a seat which is slightly angled to the TV. I also find myself more twisted most of the time in my posture, I tend to not sitting in direct of the TV really.

I must admit I don’t have my old glasses, broke so not worn them for a few years at all…I think I been straining my eyes for some time. So I have no real guage on my old glasses tbh so there we go… but with not having the sph to off set it how is the reduction possible, sorry if you explained it above but there was a whop of text.

I have a very basic Snellen chart which I have and yeah I can try and use that to work out my starting point. I can buy some cheap cheap lesser lens then I don’t mind trying this as a point.Just not to the point of making my eyes worse.

Then do the above suggested measurements and observations without glasses.
Do you have any glasses now? Do you have the new glasses or just the prescription?
If you have the new glasses, do it with the new glasses, too.

You can print a correctly sized Snellen from here, instructions on the second page

Yeah I have them and using them for driving… I see a sign outside my house at night which is all blurry and must be astigmatism,never noticed it before