New here and a bit stuck

Hi there, I’m Tink from New Zealand. I discovered Endmyopia about a year ago, and subscribed to the 20/20 course, however life has been somewhat overwhelming since then with chronic health issues (mine and immediate family), I’m 49 and perimenopausal which currently involves insomnia, so I’m a bit low on puff at the moment. The main thing I’ve been doing is practicing my distance vision and taking 20 minute breaks from close up work. However, my presbyopia is now advancing to the point where I feel like I can’t put up the trip to the optometrist much longer. My myopia - at last check, via optometrist about 18 months ago - is -4.75 in the left eye and -5.50 (with an astigmatism) in the right eye. I’ve no doubt that if I go to the optometrist now, I’ll be prescribed progressive lenses and will then be on that slippery slope. I would be hugely grateful for some helping in a starting point. Many thanks.

3 Likes

Welcome!

The more outdoor time and distance vision you get the better off you’ll be. For near work (on the computer or reading) you’d want to make sure you’re not wearing your distance glasses. When you’re looking at anything close up you should be using a weaker pair of glasses, you would probably want to wear those for your indoor time or whenever you’re reading or on the computer.

A rule of thumb for your close-up glasses (“differentials”) is to use about 1.25D less correction in each eye.

I think that would get you started, you want to make sure that you’re holding whatever close-up stuff you’re working on as far away as you can (before it gets blurry.)

I would only get progressives or bifocals made up if there’s some particular task you really need them for that you can’t handle by switching from your close-up glasses to your distance glasses.

1 Like

Progressive are a very slippery slope, and would seriously complicate your journey for no reason. If you absolutely need the extra help up close get it in a separate pair of glasses for sure. Also I expect if you got them a little under corrected you could still make use of a bit of challenge and prevent progression. At least that is my understanding. As a back to 20/20 member though you can run your thoughts past Jake in that forum

1 Like

Fully agree.

If you follow the official back to 20/20 program, click on Support link in the second row between course list and Log tool (not on the Le Meow Forum in the first row of links) and write your question there. Jake will get back to you within 24 hours typically.

Here in the forum you will get personal opinions only from fellow EMers.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback. Just to clarify, your advice is to get a pair of reading glasses for indoor time etc and wear distance outdoors? Basically, at the moment, if I try and read something without glasses I have to hold it about 20cm in front of my face before it gets blurry… Just trying to get my head around the logistics. Does it essentially mean wearing two sets of glasses (e.g. one on a string or one on my head :slight_smile: That might be a ridiculous question…

Thank you! I’ll definitely post on the 20/20 forum too :slight_smile:

Brilliant! That’s super helpful! Thank you. I’ll post on that forum shortly :slight_smile: