New here any advice welcome

Hi recently came across EM tho by the looks of it after today and looking about i have Hyperopia i picked up my prescription today from when i got my eyes checked 2019 Decemeber i will post them below, Little back story all my child hood never had any problems out every day active then the last 5 years things changed and i was less active spending hours on end every day on a PC/Videogame im mid 20s now, Anyway my main goal is to 1. get overall better vision and 2. clear the starburst effect i get at night which is really off putting when driving. Any advice or videos to watch on learning about - / + lenses as i will probably end up needing to correct my eyes at some point thanks for reading.
Oh and i have never worn glasses forgot to mention.

Right eye : Sph (+3.00) Cyl (+0.25) AXIS (105)
Left eye : Sph (+1.75) Cyl (+0.25) AXIS (70)

It seems you have landed in the wrong place. We all suffer from myopia, and not hyperopia. It is possible that the methods for reducing myopia could work for hyperopia (in reverse) but we cannot help you here.

1 Like

According the wiki page the Endmyopia method can work for hyperopia, obviously with some changes. But I honestly don’t know about much the topic, and the main site also does not contains any information.
If I see correctly @Dlskidmore wrote the wiki page, maybe she can add some more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks hopefully someone may have some insight on the topic. ashame its different to everyone here.

Don’t know much about hyperopia, but your starbursts are possibly dry eyes. Use a warm compress in your eyes, 2 or 3 times a day for some minutes and see if it helps that.
You’re likely worse off not wearing any glasses because it will strain your focusing system a lot. For you to see sharp at 100m away, you’ll strain as much as a normal eye looking at something only 30cm away.

You also might find this series helpful
1 Like

As you are hyperopic, you should ask the OD to dilate your pupil and paralyze the ciliary muscle for the examination, this is called cycloplegia. Not doing it will give you inaccurate results, because the lens in the eye can “bypass” the hyperopia by focusing harder and tricking the machine into thinking you have less hyperopia

Not really been active lately, but the principle is exactly the same, and even more well studied than reversing myopia.

Google scholar “lens induced myopia” and “near work induced myopia”. If you’re hyperopic, you want to become more myopic, but stop at 0D. This is the direction the body more easily drifts in, if the relative incidence of myopia and hyperopia is any indication.

Pick up a near work hobby. Wear the weakest (lower plus) glasses you can to do that hobby. Your ciliary muscle will have to work for it and your eye can stretch in response. Might get an extra retina health checkup to make sure your choroidal tissue isn’t thinning if you push it too hard. In the myopic defocus direction changes can occur within hours, I don’t know how long hyperopic defocus takes to change choroidal tissue thickness. You might want to move slower than they myopia folk that are thickening their choroidal tissue.

2 Likes

I hope your correction comes quickly, there is no way driving, even in the daytime, is a good idea without it when your numbers exceed .75-1 diopter. While we encourage slight under correction here, we absolutely discourage this practice completely. Edit: upon further investigation it appears you are getting away with it during the day because of how differently the hyperopia works at a distance, than the myopic experience. However I stand by the encouragement to not drive without correction, if for no other reason than to give the right eye the opportunity to participate. And correction should absolutely help with the night driving issues. It is well known that refractive error is more pronounced in low light. Though I wouldn’t discount some night blindness as a possiblity…

YES to this. That wide gap between your eyes will likely to continue to expand if you don’t give the right eye a bit of help, though I expect neither eye is gaining anything with that much strain.

Less yes to this. You already mentioned having more than sufficient near work. I doubt introducing more is wise. Though making it count for more by clearing blur (and with the help of correction just a little blur) should put you on the right track.

I wonder how quickly and easily he could swing the other way… all the more reason to still take breaks and have good vision habits, I should think.

Your well documented journey would be a great addition to our community. :smiley: Even the well beaten path here means a lot of self experimentation and learning on the go. But if you were to lay down some ground work for others that would be a great way to help this community grow.

I think we should not forget that the original poster suffers from hyperopia, and we really have no business giving any advice or suggestions here. It is the astigmatism and not the hyperopia that is creating vision problems at distance. Hyperopes have problems with close vision.The combination of hyperopia and astigmatism is something we have no collective experience with.

Denise’s suggestion is based on the idea that hyperopes should challenge their near point edge of blur, hence the close work. But this assumes that reducing hyperopia works on the same principles as reducing myopia. I would hesitate to make even the wildest guess on how to tackle this problem.

1 Like

Astigmatism measured at .25 by an opto is negligible to say the least, even by their own standards, which is why they don’t correct it with contacts until over .5 (though I am not positive of that threshold, I just know when I had .5 in my glasses they didn’t have it in my contacts). Therefore the issues with distance vision are the result of refractive error (on account of the shape of the eye) and how the light is focusing on the retina, or in this case behind it; as far as I can tell.

I believe the prevailing theory is that it would work the same… though seeing it put into practice and documented would be a great data point for future hyperopic members. Furthermore advice given here should always be considered as a suggestion based on a limited window of someone’s situation and the individual needs to apply their own judgment and experience going forward. In that way this is no different from a fellow myopic member.

You’re right. I had to go back to the original post, as I was left with the impression that there was more astigmatism than that (and had assumed so from the starbursts). This would not explain starbursts. My suggestion to the original poster would be to get the eyes rechecked in case of measuring error. The problem could also be night blindness, the reason I am very reluctant to drive at night

I have no problem with that, although it might cause major renaming and rebranding issues. We might as well throw in presbyopia while we are at it. You might want to check out this idea with @Jakey :thinking:

Fair point, though I think, and expect Jake would agree, we would need a lot more data to get to this point. A few cases are a great starting point but to rebrand as a complete one stop shop for all your refractive issues would require a fairly massive data pool (such as we already have for reversing myopia). Not to mention we are a newly registered trademark! That was hard won, so maybe adding branding rather than rebranding, were we to gain that data pool…

1 Like

Yea. It’s really too big of a topic - at least for me to have the ambition to start all over. Myopia fixing is pretty easy at this point, but there was a ton of trial and error along the way. It’s all simple and obvious in the proverbial hindsight.

Looking at the to-do list just for myopia, I definitely don’t have the bandwidth. Also it’s a lot less common, and given the tools here someone could definitely figure it out on their own.

Presbyopia might end up as a side bar here. It’s kind of unavoidable to address a bit especially as there are a fair amount of participants old enough to have been sold into reading glasses.

1 Like

That is what I thought too, but the WHO puts astigmatism as the most common refractive error, followed by hyperopia and then myopia.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320080240_Global_and_regional_estimates_of_prevalence_of_refractive_errors_Systematic_review_and_meta-analysis

We would need a Jake-like reversed hyperope to start an Endhyperopia endeavour.

1 Like

Wow, thats… weird. I mean how come then that we don’t see a lot of people running around with plus lenses?
Though as I see for children hyperopia was defined as > +2.00 D, but for adults it’s only > +0.5 D. I assume for children because of the large accommodation it simply doesn’t case any problems, and for adults it may be closer to +0.5 then for higher numbers. That way they practically can be without glasses, especially if they don’t do ultra-close-up (like closer than your usual book distance).
If my assumptions are true, then there is no real reason the end hyperopia, because they are practically asymptomatic for most of the time. If my assumptions are not true, then back to my second sentence :slight_smile:

This would be my guess too, although I know a hyperope who would not be able to function without glasses - he earns his living at a screen. He wears contact lenses, so does not walk around with big bug eyes.

As presbyopia makes hyperopia worse with age, it might still be interesting for hyperopes to resist progression of their hyperopia.

Thank you for this i will give this a watch later on.

Thank you i got my glasses today and hoping to get the right eye involved so are you saying with my being above 0.75-1 this could be a likely cause on the light effects from cars maybe also night blindness as you said not looked into that but i will give it some research.

1 Like

Low level hyperopia for sure, but I personally know 4 hyperopic people who are high enough that their distance vision is also impaired. Though I am learning now this doesn’t occur till a much high diopter than we as myopes relate too, and it is additionally age related. For instance: a 14 year old with +3 still has 20/25 for distance vision whereas a 30 year old is 20/40 and at 50 would be worse than 20/70 not to mention the presbyopia.
Also it is pain to not be able to see right, so if it a reversible pain then I certainly see cause to fix it.

I didn’t have the best understanding of plus when I dropped those numbers (they are with minus consideration) and I still don’t know a ton about it, however I would still anticipate your diopter requirement as well as the ratio between them to be a player in that night time effect. And we are not equipped here to address any kind of eye health issue, night blindness for instance is above our pay grade.