New here - my "short" intro from the UK!

Hi guys – long-time lurker on the FB page, thought I’d better show my face here and say hi !

My story is massively long, so I’ll try and summarise it here as best I can – hope to be able to share the full version one day !

I first got glasses at school ~1989. It was cool – my friends had glasses, and now so did I ! Actually, I forget what they were, but roughly -1.75’s

By around 2001 I was wearing contacts, and I’d saved up just over £1,200, which was enough to get Lasik on one eye at that time. I was planning to try and save the same again and then go for both eyes together, and get the clear vision that I so desperately wanted. Around this time I was at a friend’s birthday and mentioned my plan, and my friend told me that someone they knew had read a book about improving your eyesight.

BOOM – this was the start of my journey ! I’d never heard of the idea before, but I was intrigued !

Anyway, I bought lots of books, ebooks, even went on a 2-day course in London, I read as much as I could – It was all the usual Bates stuff, along with loads of biology about the eye and a mix of diet and vitamins etc. Not one of these books talked about changing vision habits, and most never talked about measuring improvement. By this time I’d stopped wearing glasses, except for driving, and it was sending me crazy. I couldn’t see very well (couldn’t make out faces, couldn’t read the screen in meetings at work, couldn’t enjoy the view on holiday etc etc), but I knew that glasses would make my vision worse (I don’t think I understood how, at this point).

I was fed up of not seeing improvements (luckily the odd clear flash now and then proved to me that my eyes weren’t broken … but I just couldn’t maintain the clarity for more than a few seconds !). I decided to take some action – what I was doing wasn’t working – I hit YouTube and went in search of the next “method”. I didn’t realise that I would stumble upon the only “method” I should have been using all this time !!

So, this was April 2019 – I got the 7-day email guide, understood active focus straight away, but I didn’t follow the steps properly. Yes, I said it, I didn’t follow the steps !! I am definitely the worst advert for EM ! The thing was, I really wasn’t wearing any glasses (years back I’d ordered some really weak ones to get me through being able to drive, but that was it) – and all the advice on EM was geared towards people who were wearing full strength glasses / contacts. You know, reduce your prescription by a ¼ dioptre, or whatever – I couldn’t face going back to wearing “strong” glasses (it was a mental hurdle I’d created !), and as a result I didn’t make much, if any progress.

Cut to mid-2020, stuck at home during lockdown, and I finally saw the light, and am pleased to say I’m now making progress. I put it down to 2 things I heard recently, and they really helped me. I can’t remember where I heard the first one, so apologies for no credit to the owner :

1. Go for the highest strength of lens that you can, that still allows active focus. (I was trying to do it with really weak lenses, and it wasn’t working). I’ve fixed this.

2. Jake’s interview with Nick (the guy that takes his dog to work, and stares at the mountains on his break – so cool !). Nick said that he spent evenings reading the subtitles on the TV – this really helped me, as it showed me the level of AF needed for improvement. Previously I’d been staring at the trees in the distance and thinking “hey, this is going to help”, but there’s no substitute for actually clearing up text, since it’s either clear or it’s not.

So now I’m wearing -0.75 lenses, able to see 20/20 with AF, and am on track to reduce to -0.50’s around January time. I’m enjoying being able to see again, and noticing the gains that I’m making. I’d hoped for 20/20 in 2020, but I guess it’ll be 2021 now. That’s fine with me !

Oh my word, I can’t believe this was the short version – I’m so sorry guys, but thanks for reading to the end !!

Chris

8 Likes

Hey Chris, welcome!! I think I said that first point :memethinking:

2 Likes

@NottNott - I think I said that too :stuck_out_tongue: but we agreed roughly at the same time. *steals credit (at least partially) :smiley:

my words were wear the strongest glasses that are still a bit too weak / leave some blur to active focus

4 Likes

For me, i get that point from Jake’s video. you just need to really understand what is “a little bit of blur challenge” means. :rofl: sorry for taking away some of the credits from you guys and put it back to the one and only beard eye guru :star_struck:

3 Likes

Who needs kids, when adults can squabble like this ?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

you are so right, grandma :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Well I was misled by Jake’s old videos about seeing at least 20/50 or 20/40 with normalised. For me a little bit of Blur is a less than crystal clear 20/20 or at worst 20/25. Took a while to figure out what I need to be happy with the process

2 Likes

it’s hard to say, somebody might be seeing 20/40 or 20/50 and still can easily do AF and gain progress, somebody else might be getting blur adaption at 20/40 or 20/50 and unable to do AF at all then 20/25 or 20/30 might be the ideal blur challenge. you have to experiment for yourself…

I still struggle with this. working out the perfect amount of blur.
I also struggle with the difference in light conditions. I can easily have 0.5 difference in my eye strength depending if Im indoor or outdoor/ sunshine or no sunshine.
If I do the smallest amount of blur then in full sunshine I get no blur challenge.
If I go a little more blur, I get some blur challenge in full sunshine but in other less lit conditions its way too much…
Whats your opinion on this?

yeah but by NO definition is seeing 20/40 a “little bit of blur”. Sorry, I don’t think that’s up for debate :stuck_out_tongue:

well it’s just my opinion of course, but I will not reduce until I can see 20/20 consistently for a week in indoor evening light (that is the most consistent I think - dark outside, a fixed /constant light source (your ceiling lights) and not unrealistically dark, but far from ideal vision. Of course it’#s not by any means a standard set of conditions, but the main thing is it’s on a universal scale quite bad light and the main thing is it’s constant for you, to measure progress

1 Like

yeh thats great. thanks for the advice

I simply accepted that the LUX differences can easily cause a 0.5D difference anytime.
I’ve never had issues with using 2 types of normalised: one for daytime when outdoor with full sunshine in the summer, and one for evening when going out and typically ending up in poorly lit indoor places (e.g. dinner in a restaurant and then going to the theater for a play reading faces from the second balcony).

You may find this interesting - I use it to reassure myself it is normal, nothing wrong with my eyes :sweat_smile:
https://community.endmyopia.org/t/what-is-the-definition-of-poorer-lighting-conditions/10887/23

1 Like

Wow. Bianka that LUX testing deserves it’s own thread!

That is very cool. If you have time do you mind elaborating a bit on the “two normalised” you do? I’ve toyed with this a bit but have been unsure and usually just keep one. Is it a staple for you? or a sometimes thing?

My general concerns with two normalised are potential issues with switching focal planes, practicality (carrying around multiple glasses), when to “switch” etc. Any thoughts on those?

Have you checked this journey yet? Pretty detailed report with LUX added. :blush:
It was @Humble who got me thinking about LUX measurement more seriously.
https://community.endmyopia.org/t/jenik-humble-journal-from-3-5/6098

I have to admit I represent a minority here. I don’t have glasses and actually I’ve never had glasses. I had been wearing contact lenses only, but non-stop (12 to 16 hours a day). So for me switching between corrections was even less practical as you can imagine. But on the plus side: I have always had naturally adjusted PD for all distances. :wink:
My method with multiple normalised was not overcomplicated at all:
I had 2 Snellen charts in the flat. One that was near a big window that got the sun most of the day providing about 750 to 1000 LUX most of the time at 6 meters, and another one in the hall without windows with about 150 to 300 LUX lights at 3 meters.
So if I expected my day to be mainly in an office, I quickly looked at the Snellen in the hall and went for about 20/20. It may seem to be too much of a correction, but this chart was at 3m and an office day for me often means classroom style arrangement or meeting room with presentation at 10m. I had to be sure I can read the figures flashed up on the screen.
Same method if I was going out in the evening. Though an evening means less distance to focus typically, but more faces moving which are always harder to clear up…
If my day was planned for outdoors, I looked at the Snellen near the window and depending on the program went for 20/25 or 20/30. More allowance for blur here, because that Snellen was at 6metres already, which is better than the 3m one + daylight is more likely to be well over 1000 LUX, especially if sunny.
So all in all it meant 10 seconds to think about my day ahead, 10 seconds to look at the Snellen to get a first idea what correction I’d need, 10 seconds to insert contacts, 10 seconds to check if they are OK, 10 seconds to change them if needed, 10 seconds to confirm I got it right = 1 minute.

1 Like

Fantastic.
Yes also very interesting because you use contacts not glasses. Definitely needs more planning.
Of course a bit more flexibility with glasses.
I’ve been inspired and I think I’ll give it a go, tweaking it for my own situation.

@BiancaK so you’re not worried about changing focal planes alot?

I find when I do a reduction for the first few weeks/months I’m getting enough blur challenge in all situations. But then obv. on full sun outdoor days the blur challenge disappears quite quickly. I just see that as wasted time, having these good quality outdoor sunshine days without any challege. Sounds like an extra pair of normalised may help with that.

Thank you.

When I spent the day outdoors in sunshine and the evening at an indoor event, I changed contacts between the two parts of the day.
When I spent the day mainly outdoors in sunshine with occasional close-up work, I wore the same normalised contacts for close-up, too. (close-up = mostly laptop, not smartphone)
When I spent the day indoors with low artificial lights and my eyes were challenged there enough, then I just didn’t worry about wasting the short time of AF opportunity when stepping outdoors in the same corrections (e.g. for a lunch break). I just tried to practice distance vision more than just looking at the people around me. Enjoying 20/13 clarity.

Anyway I take EM as a rehab process, and I believe in restoring the full range of motion. On a day when I don’t work 8 hours sitting at my desk in front of a monitor, I should be able to have the same corrections (preferably zero corrections) for all distances and be able to change distances without any accommodation issues, just like an emmetrope would do. And this is how I walked the EM walk, too. Compensating for this EM tailoring by drastically cutting down on smartphone screen time, keeping good distance from the bigger screens and increasing the time spent outdoors.

1 Like