New to Active Focus

Hi, I am an 18-year-old, hoping to start active focus successfully. I need help with picking up the correct pair of glasses for my normalized.

my normal prescription: right and left at -3.75

I have not been wearing glasses at all, for a very long time (even for long distance)

I had a old pair of glasses at about -2.75 for my normalised, but i don’t find an area of a blur, at the distance where I am using my laptop (everything looks clear). Should I reduce the prescription to about -2, to create an area of blur for my normalised? Someone please help! thanks a lot:)

Welcome to the forum @smitni. From the very short description you have given, any one of us would suggest you need to spend some time reading, researching, and understanding the concepts of EM. Unless you pay for Jake’s course, this is mostly a do-it-yourself endeavor. the members of the forum will help if you still have questions after reading and doing your best to understand, but will not give diopter specific advice. We are not doctors.
You will have to be the best judge of what works for you best, and try it out.
Just on the comment above on lack of blur at the laptop, you can either push the laptop further away, until you do start getting a bit of blur, or look into lower strength glasses. How low - it really depends on your personal circumstances.
Play with it. You will be surprised what you learn about your own eyes.,

2 Likes

Thank you @SeeTheLight for the invite! I have been following up on the research since January as well as tapped on the 7 days free guide offered by Jake. I had requested to sign up for the course, but I was advised that only 25 years old and above could sign up for the paid course.

As of the question, I was a bit skeptical to reduce the power of my normalised glasses to more than -1 diopter as Jake had advised in one of his articles that reducing it more than 1 diopter could cause problems. I was already about more than 1 metre away from my laptop as well, there is no way I could move a bit further behind :///

Than it is possible that your full prescription is overstated (stronger than needed), in which case going 1 D lower from that is not going to give you the appropriate edge of blur for close up work. It is also possible that you may have made a bit of progress already. Your cm measurements, if fairly correct, should give you an idea what your full strength glasses should be, and then you can go from there.
Hopefully you can get access to cheap glasses that you can buy and continue this process. Being 18 can be a challenge from a financial resources point of view.

1 Like

It sounds to me as though you are confusing “normalised” correction and “differential” correction. Dropping more than -1 diopter for your normalised is rarely the right idea, but for differentials - glasses you wear from close up - it is usually more than 1 diopter below your full correction. Make sure you are familiar with the two types of glasses you need for the EndMyopia method:

2 Likes

Thank you for catching that. Yes, clear understanding is needed as to what is normalized and what is differential.

1 Like

I don’t know if the age restriction exists for Le Rough Guide you could try that: Rough Guide (Not For Sale) – Endmyopia Courses It would be a worthwhile investment.
However if it does have the same restrictions; hopefully this can help you navigate: Introducing the EM Chatbot - YouTube

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum
As the others pointed out, there seems to be a bit of confusion around terminology and the different glasses.
EM calls the distance to laptop as “close-up”. Recommended distance is at least an arm’s length. For this distance, it is recommended to wear “differentials”. Differentials = glasses that are enough to see the texts on the laptop clear without struggling too much with blur, but it’s not their aim to give clarity above the laptop distance. For further away than the laptop, EM recommends spending enough time with real distance. It is not enough just to swap the laptop to the TV screen, or look at something at 3-5 metres at home. To teach your eyes to change distances while keeping clarity you will need a wider range and that’s why normalised glasses are recommended. Normalised = distance glasses slightly lower than your opto correction.
Every person is different and should measure and observe when making decisions on the diopter drop, but the very general rule of thumb is to drop 1.5D from the opto prescription for the differentials, and 0.25D for the normalised (but with the first normalised drop most people get away with more).

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for advising me and clarifying on the different terminologies. I hope to get my hands on a cheap pair of glasses soon!