New to forum but been implementing EM for over a year

Hi My name is Mark.

I found End myopia in August 2019 and thought it sounded interesting and logical so decided to try it. I got my first normalised in October 19 after trying to cut screen time and ciliary spasm and try better eye habits and saw enough improvements to be convinced of the method.

My original prescription was -2.75 L -2.75 R with -0.50 cyl so I dropped to -2.25 for both eyed with the -0.50 cylinder for my right eye. I gradually got rid of the cylinder reducing to just -2.25 in both eyes. I’m currently using -1.5 for both eyes I found that I made rapid progress last summer but things have now slowed down thanks to winter and poor light conditions.

I am hoping to get down to -1.0 by this summer then I’m not sure whether to get lower powered glasses or to try not wearing glasses for everyday activites? When do you get to the point where you can stop using glasses as much I have read somewhere on the forums that you don’t really need to go lower than -1.0 so should I try to reduce glasses use now?

Thanks

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Mark. And congrats on the gains so far.

The last pair will depend on your lifestyle and your visual acuity preference. Some go down to -0.5D some can stop at -1.25D. Obviously, be safe when driving, especially when driving at night. Just keep a pair of glasses in the car so it’s there if needed for safe driving.
Otherwise - once you are at -1 or below it - I would recommend alternating “no correction” days with “full correction” days. If you just drop the glasses you may be able to function in your every day life with a little blur but may miss out on clearing the last diopter, on having clear vision at real distance vision, too. Hence the recommendation to have days when you remind your eyes of what actual clarity is.
You can start this alternating even now if it feels good, just be aware of blur vs. clarity.
Check your eyesight on a 6m Snellen to make sure you are getting closer and closer to 20/20.

Check this out, it’s very well written and is full of useful info and tips for the last diopter

Good luck.

1 Like

Very nice to read of your improvements, and welcome to the forum.

Hey, Mark, I love reading your story, since I’ve now ordered some -1.50 and, like you, have the ambition to be down to -1.00 for summer. I won’t repine if I’m only to -1.25, though, since I used to be 3.50. Man! How I dream of going commando, not having to leave some dratted specs with my clothes when I go for my daily swim (or, worse, wear contacts in the sea)!

Keep up the good work.

1 Like

This is super exciting! I started doing parts of the EM about 6 months ago while watching the You Tube videos. When I went for an eye exam after 2 years with. new optometrist (who does more behavoral optometry)- my precription was down around -0.75 in both eyes from the previous doctor who was all dark room exams:( I had pushed him for a few years on wanting to lower my prescrption- after the visit 2 years ago I didn’t go back.
Just prior to my last visit with the old opto- i had started seeing an osteopath who specializes in brain work/ energy medicine. I had read that some of the work could help improve the visual cortex. Even in the dark room opto office- my prescription lowered by like 0.25 diopter. I was pretty encouraged actually since it has never improved- it had held steady for many many years but never improvement- The dr wasn’t impressed and I never went back… but started researching… a year after that found @jakey on you tube …

I am noticing a strange side affect with the snellen charts- for me at this stage they are ausing some form of anxiety that makes me feel locked up so I am actually avoiding them for now and just lowerd the diopters very gradually and concentrating on active focus and work out in nature. That seems to be the trick for my eyes as I am feeling the muscle memory of the stressful expereinces in the eye doctor for 30 years cause a lock up for me.

Love hearing everyones progress- so encouraging!

4 Likes

oh! and i ordered my first pair of “contraband contacts”- non prescprition in an even lower power than the adjusted one from just 2 months ago- im going down in -0.25 increments and challenging with active focus- im amazed how quickly my eyes are taking to it- so far- the 0.25 lower adjusted almost immediately- going to give each change a couple weeks- AND i feel like i see things differently- not just clearer than my stronger corrections gave me - but things actually look more beautiful is the only way I can describe it:)

3 Likes

Fantastic improvements! Thats super quick!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I have a similar reaction to the Snellen chart, but not out of remembered trauma related to it. It is my visual system taking on the old tricks I used to see better - some squinting, etc. I have to tell myself that this is not needed, relax, and soon enough I do relax and AF drifts in and out. I don’t mind that it drifts out again, as I realise that this is probably hard work for the visual cortex, which cannot be sustained. But it does show me what my visual system is capable of, and that is reassuring.

I enjoy trying to clear up 3-dimensional things in nature a great deal more than the boring Snellen.

1 Like

I think my eyes were just super eager for the “first jump” as ive been learning about this and wondering about my eyes improving for quite some time. I do want to explore. more of the mind connection in the visual cortex and how to best heal that from a mind healing side as well. There is a neuro scientist Caroline Leaf that has a lot of amazing research on the brain and power of the mind.

1 Like

Ditto. My first diopter or so went very quick. But from what I’ve read there may be a bunch of reasons. Ciliary release, optometrist over correction, overly optimistic with CM measurements. All of which apply to me.

1 Like

Hey GretaHancock,

Enjoyed reading you! I’m wondering how you picked up Active Focus. Maybe you’d have some illuminating pointers for me? I’m one of the less fortunate ones in this respect, since I can’t seem to get it. Hence no improvement. I also can’t seem to shake ciliary spasm properly. It comes on real fast when I switch from my differentials to my normalised. I seem to be a natural at relaxing the spasm when using my differentials at my computer, but the moment I use my normalised (I see fine once I put them on and look at a distance) to look at things around the house, i.e. closer than at a distance, the spasm pops right on and I can’t shake it again! Unless I put my differentials on and do it at a reading distance. Is this odd? I’ve never heard anyone else mention this. Everyone seems to be able to relax ciliary spasm during distance view. I can walk around town focusing on things in my normalised but unable to shake the ciliary spasm. I feel stuck…

But congrats on your progress!

1 Like

Have you tried a short zero diopter reset between changing glasses, and/or closing your eyes for a while? It may be that your change in vergence is slower than in most people and what you are experiencing between changing glasses is the result of initial insufficient divergence of the eyes when changing to distance vision, rather than ciliary spasm. You have full relaxation of your ciliary muscles at the edge of blur with your diffs, but also at the edge of blur with your norms, so it would surprise me if your ciliary muscles suddenly went into spasm. A very rapid change from very close vision where your ciliary muscles are in full contraction, to a distance where they need to be fully relaxed may well create a temporary ciliary spasm. But a ciliary muscle that is fully contracted is not by definition in spasm - that is what it is supposed to be able to do, but also to be able to relax fully and easily. Only when it is unable to relax fully and easily can we talk about spasm either temporary, or in some rare cases permanent.

It is not a good idea to assume that if you cannot find anything that looks like AF you are not able to improve. Perhaps time to drop that belief, which could be a self-fulfilling prophesy.

What most people experience at the beginning is that they are doing well close-up with the differentials, but once they use their normalised or full prescription with distance vision they cannot return to the same clarity with differentials at close up on that day anymore. That is the real ciliary spasm triggered by using the higher corrections.
I don’t think you actually have ciliary spasm at distance vision. It sounds more like you have a comfortable manageable challenge with your differentials and something else with the normalised. Maybe you have too much clarity with the norms (too strong so they don’t allow your eyes to focus and clear blur) or you have too much blur (and you strain your eyes trying to clear it in vain).

By the way, “doing AF” is not needed for improvement. Just move the monitor to the furthest point still clear when you do close up, and wear the normalised that gives you the smallest but clearable blur. And make sure you have a good range of motion with your eyes, i.e. you are not just stuck in the zero to 6m distance zone all day, from screen to TV, from close-up to getting around in familiar rooms at home.

Hi! @emmakatarina, here is an artucle that might help I was reading today…

I am just slowly reducing my diopters in contact ,lenses I ordered jn decreasing increments of -0.25 and going a lot by feeling when i change to lower diopter… ,letting my eyes step backgradually… trying to be patient😭

I try to read at least one article daily and am doing the back to 20/20 course i highly recommend as it consolidates the info into daily increments…

Keep in touch with progress and issues! Nice to have others to discuss with!

1 Like

Sounds like you’re timeline is similar to mine. At this stage I have experienced some difficulty in dropping but a lot of it is probably more related to the day the world stopped but I am nack on track with -1.5 -1.25 Not sure yet if I will be doing an equalization next round or just drop the 2 together. My left eye doesnt like sustained progress… or doesn’t progress without the right.
I go without glasses a lot of time in my weekend days. I go outside and stare at the neighbors house numbers then blink and get a lot of clarity. Strangely this is the best place for me to start but it is super encouraging to make the world clear with my own eyes.

thanks Greta, for the article. Sadly I seem to be blind as to how I should apply the content of the article to my situation… impressed by your scholarly capacity if you do!!

Yes I’ve noticed that doing EM has to be a priority in one’s life. When I started I was giving it a lot of thought and time and using my first normalised worked in the very beginning. There were moments when I could clear blur and felt excited. I guess I kind of lost heart when it wasn’t becoming something automatic, which I was expecting it to. Rather I stepped backwards into fog. That had to do with the seasons changing to darkness up here in the North. We don’t have adequate light conditions for a good half year and it makes optics suffer. Feeling my vision go backwards in the dark months was disheartening.

And now that I don’t focus on daily routine I can still use those same normalised but I don’t see clearly anymore and have been accustomed to blur. It seems like I should start over from scratch, if I still believe I can do this. I guess it’s important to get that first 0,25 diopter shift, to build confidence. Since I never got it I don’t believe I can…

This article has been linked to before on the forum. The only thing I found of immediate use in it is that it is perhaps not the best idea to try to equalise the eyes or to eliminate small amounts of astigmatism if small errors help the autofocussing process…

A second point, which I have only thought about now, is the fact that if the visual system is so good and fast at detecting defocus and accommodating accordingly, why would it let itself become so blur tolerant? I suppose it is a question of making do with what is at one’s disposal and getting on with life

That depends on what one means by automatic. Yes, for me the clearing has become automatic (although it takes its own time) but only when I measure and pay attention to it. I think it might be counterproductive to think that the attention also becomes automatic, at least initially. It is very easy to fall back into old habits. Measuring every day reminds me to pay attention.

Hi@emmakatarina! This can be a very complicated frustrating process! Have you joined the Back to 20/20 group where it is daily organized lessons? That is really helping me so much.
I also have found personally that there is a lot of emotional stress tied up in my poor vision. “Curses or bad energy” so to speak I feel were placed on me by my parents as my father has very poor vision. I can remember clear memories from childhood of this fear and negativity placed on me expecting me to also have poor vision.

I have an interest in energy medicine as I have utlized this in my family’s health for the past 15 years with great sucess. I recently found a book called “The Memory Code” that is helping me tremendously with some of the emotional stress I feel has affected my vision.

HI Jenn! Yes I agree is it so fulfilling to get that moment of clarity! It encourges me to just keep on with the habits! The stresses of this year for sure have probably slowed some progress so stay encouraged!

1 Like

Thx for your thoughts. Hm! What you write sounds logical. Yet let me give an example and ask you if you still think the same way.

After being on my computer with my differentials I can switch to my normalised and look out of my window at the numbers on the building across from mine. My vision is not perfect, so my normalised aren’t too strong, but I can read the numbers on the building. One of my eyes, the right one, is about 0,25 diopters weaker and in this state of non-spasm I can sense how the vision is uneven. I wear my normalised at -3,25 both eyes. I sense that my left is seeing clearly at this distance but the right eye is not, hence the image is clear but not for the right eye, making the overall picture not blurry but a bit uneven - maybe you know what I mean? there’s a clear image on top of a blurrier one.

After this I walk into my kitchen, make food and eat food (in my normalised) after which I come back to the window. This time my vision is in complete blur. I can’t sense any distinction between left and right eye, the numbers on the building across are just blurry. And I can’t get that blur to clear by looking at that building, blinking, trying to focus on those letters. There seems to be nothing I can do to clear my vision at a distance.

I sit down to work at my computer in my differentials and work to relax my eyes at the edge of blur, after which I put on my normalised and look out the window. Again, I see the numbers a lot clearer and sense the difference of focus between the eyes.

Should I perhaps get normalised in which my left eye was corrected to only -3? I’ve been expecting the right eye to catch up, as it has to work in these normalised, but it seems to be staying put, not catching up at all. So that when my ciliary is relaxed it’s my left eye focusing, right eye just being accustomed to blur. Odd, is that possible? To have one blur-accustomed eye?