Newbie intro & questions about getting started

Hi everyone, I am Lucy and I am a Chinese living in the U.S. I just learned about endmyopia last week and I was very excited to see so many progress posts.

I have had myopia ever since first grade. I remembered for the first seven or eight years, every time I went to the optometrist my prescription went up by -1 and soon followed by cylinder increase too. I was terrified thinking that I was going to go blind, but also feeling hopeless since my parents searched for everything they can be found nothing that could help improve my eyes. Fortunately, my eyes stabilized a bit after middle school, but they still gradually grew worse. The latest prescription I had was from 2019:

Right eye:
Sphere -8.75 Cyl -2.00 Axis 175

Left eye:
Sphere -9.00 Cyl -1.75 Axis 172

I am currently still absorbing and exploring all the information we have. I am honestly a bit overwhelmed - considered joining the paid program but I didn’t meet the minimum age requirement :frowning: - so I was hoping that the community could give me some help in getting started on the right track:

So far from the 7 days newsletters and some info on the forum/site, I gathered the notion that to improve our eyes we need to 1) constantly practice active focus, 2) get differential glasses for close up, 3) try to develop good habits like the 3 hr rule, and 4) keep track of our measurements daily. Is that mostly right? Please let me know if I am still missing something important.

In addition, if anyone also has high myopia, I would greatly appreciate any sharing of tips/experiences as well

Thanks you guys :slight_smile:

Lucy

4 Likes

Welcome Lucy!

You seem to be on the right track. I too became myopic around first grade. I’m curious how long you’ve been myopic because your recent “prescription” is very high. I’m not a high myope but I’d like to give you some input.

• I’d say keep track of your measurements as much as possible. Personally, I only measure my eyesight three times a week because my measurements are usually the same day to day.

Also I really recommend checking out these guides, if you haven’t already:

I don’t want to overwhelm you with a lot of information as you are fairly new so I think these guides are a good place to start.

Good luck,
Jj

2 Likes

I keep on forgetting these useful Where to Start guides when responding to newbies. They are pinned in the topic, but a confused newbie might not think of looking at this topic. I certainly do not remember finding these guides at the start of my journey. They may still be overwhelming for a total newcomer, but I am not sure what one can do about that.

What it does tell me is that there will always be a need for a forum member with more experience to give some carefully adapted suggestions for newbies.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response and the links Jj! I found the second link particularly helpful since it’s not just a guide to where to find resources but a guide to progress and common questions along the way.

I’ve been myopic ever since first grade and now I just graduated college - so around 17 years. The most rapid worsening time was the first 8 years though (1 diopter increase every year - very scary :frowning: )

Hey, I am kind of new here but I was wondering is differential sufficient for indoor use?

It depends a lot on you / your eyes and on what your indoor distances are.
There were various discussions about it on the forum, thought I could easily point you to one but couldn’t find them as they were mixed in other threads…

So basically if you mainly get work / study in front of a screen and use the same screen (or distance) for watching movies, too, and the rest is mainly getting around on autopilot, you can wear either pairs of glasses when moving around indoors, choose the one that gives you some blur but not too much blur.
However, if you e.g. cook a lot then you may find your normalised too much at arm’ length and prefer differentials. On the other end if you watch TV and the big screen is at a good distance, and you can’t read the subtitles with differentials, then you should use normalised otherwise you just get used to having everything blurry around you.

Quoting from an earlier post
At the beginning it is enough to enjoy close-up in differentials and everything else in full prescription. At a later stage you will introduce norms and first those are OK to be worn for TV. As time progresses and your eyesight improves, most likely you will prefer your differentials when indoors for all distances. When your eyes without corrections become your differentials and your norms are below -2D, you will need proper distances to keep improving, simply because mid-distance will not give you enough challenge anymore. This is assuing you want to have clear vision over 20m, too, and be able to switch between distances dynamically.

(Edit:)
Found this from @jakey describing what corrections you should wear, in my view this is applicable for both differentials and normalised
As long as they can recognize their friends, find their toys, don’t get any anxiety (and do active focus)…

3 Likes