Newcomer and need suggestions on the "edge of blur" for close-up work

Hi folks. I’m fairly new to this community but have been reading a lot of posts, guides and other links here regularly and know the basics and the EndMyopia approach fairly well. (have been following Jake’s videos on YouTube since last 1 year and decided to start my journey a couple of weeks back, sometime in December 2020)

I’m not sure if this has been answered somewhere but when you say try to read or do close-up work at the edge of blur with only a “slight blur”, does it mean the blur level of 2 or 3 (with 0 being the least clear and 4 being the most clear for normal vision, please see image below for reference and ignore the left side “aio” texts)

blur-double-vision-advanced

I work as a software developer, so it’s continuous screen time from 10 to 7 (working from home in India), with very little chances of getting time to take breaks due to the hectic nature of the job and project. But I am trying to do the best possible things I can to at least stop increasing my myopia further and the forum posts are really helpful as I can read everybody’s experiences.

Right now, while working and looking at my laptop from a distance of around 50 cms from the screen, I have the blur level of 2, and sometimes it becomes clearer if I stare at something(or blink and open my eyes wide) and it clears up to level 3 for a few seconds and goes back to 2 (not sure if that is what active focus is :slight_smile: . So is that a good enough blur challenge and “edge of blur” to have while focusing on near/close-up work so that I can avoid ciliary spasm as much as possible? And is this the same amount of blur to have to practice distance vision active focus?

Also, I still haven’t yet found active focus and not complaining since it’s really just been a couple of weeks and also don’t get enough distance vision time. So is doing close-up work with a blur challenge enough to trigger active focus or should I try to read some text/book without glasses at the edge-of-blur to get active focus finally triggered one day? :slight_smile:

PS: I have a full prescription of -2.75 both eyes, and started using -1.5 differentials for close-up work and will soon get a normalized glasses of -2.5 for distance vision time.

Thanks,
Mohan

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

That is all you need. I’d say that is already Active Focus.
Every now and then you can increase the blur to level 1 by moving the chair or the monitor, but that will make your eyes tired and strained long term and you won’t be able to work like that all day. Only do it for twice a day for 5 or 10 minutes, and only if it feels good.
Stay with the level 2 to level 3 blur clearing, that is doable all day long even if you spend the whole working time in front of the monitor. You will notice after a while that you can keep level 3 longer and longer, and also you will be able to gradually increase the distance until you are able to do level 2 to level 3 at 50cm with the next pair of (0.25D lower) glasses, too.

With your eyes being around -2.5D you could have a lot of benefit from spending the first 20 minutes of the day without any corrections, e.g. looking around the room without any corrections while having breakfast. After this you will find you current diff / norms giving you a lot more clarity.
You can hold back on the normalised, and keep measuring at the beginning of the day at daylight and at the end of the day with artificial lights, to see how tiredness and lights affect clarity.
You may find that for the first reduction you can drop more than 0.25D.
For mid distance (when moving around in your house), alternate diffs and full prescription to see what is better for you for every day activities.
But never create constant level 1 or level 0 for your eyes at any distance. This will prevent getting too much tolerance on blur.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the welcome and the detailed reply to all my queries :slight_smile:

And thanks for confirming that what I experience is Active Focus (or at least a mild form of it). It really is motivating to continue the journey with experienceable proofs that I’m getting better each time. :slight_smile:

And yeah, I do have a plan to practice the “Zero Diopter Reset” routine in the mornings once I get my first normalized :+1:

I’m planning to drop down to -2.5 for my first normalized and see how it goes (since I’m currently at -2.75 full prescription powers). But did you mean I can drop down to -2.25 from my current -2.75 (0.5 diopter reduction straight away since it will be my first normalized? or did you mean after a couple of months after the first normalized?)

Thanks again, cheers :+1:

1 Like

Yeh I think Bianca has covered most of it.

I’ll add a few point from my own experience and what I’ve seen of others.

• Diffs main intention isn’t to get you back to 20/20. Its really just to minimise further myopia, ciliary lockup. So I never really stress too much about my diffs and being on edge of blur just as long as there is some blur. This means I’m reducing the risk of bad ciliary spasm.
  • I improved over the course of 3 months without finding active focus. At about the 3 month mark I found it and it was a good addition. But for me it didn’t stop my improvements
  • Some people have made comment that they spend considerable amounts of time 10+ hrs a day infront of a screen and have still made improvements. It is possible. Having said that definitely not the aim.
  • Whole goal of EM is to reduce nearwork --> increase outdoor distance vision. Simple as that. Everyone will then try and do this to the best of their ability considering their lifestyle. Everyone is different. As I’ve heard Jake question before something along the lines of “If you spend all your time infront of a screen and your happy with your lifestyle then why do you need to improve your eyes?” Provocative, I know, but important.
  • My only suggestion in regards to considerable time infront of screens for work is regular breaks. 20/20/20 or whatever. I use the http://eyeleo.com/ computer app as well as a lock on my phone.
4 Likes

Thanks for your points and experiences :slightly_smiling_face:. And yeah Jake is right in a way because we ended up in this place because we did ignore or not respect outdoor time as much as we did close up work/activities.

I’m trying my best to cut down my habits of close distance screen time and to get some distance vision time. So let’s see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t need to wait for your normalised. You can practice it from tomorrow - before using your diffs or full prescription. But definitely do it before trying out the new norms.
Zero reset in the morning also means avoiding (smart phone) screens during that time.

If you were overcorrected by the opto and wore your glasses all the time, but now you change habits and reduce smart phone time, increase outdoor time (at least to 7 hours per week, preferably an hour a day), and use differentials with the laptop / desktop monitor for a few weeks paying attention to keeping good distance and posture, you may find that your eyes will be perfectly OK with a 0.5D drop (and maybe the 0.25D drop won’t give you a blur challenge at all).
Obviously, I don’t know your eyes and habits, but with the first drop it is very common. I’d suggest practicing good habits for a few weeks, and getting a 3m Snellen (6m even better). If you use your full prescription and without any effort or gazing you can immediately see everything sharp up to the 20/20 line and can read the next line, too, then most probably 0.5D drop is a very safe bet.
Just an idea. The decision will be yours.
If I understand you correctly your eyes are equal and you don’t have cyl. So worst case you place an order for the -2.25D now and if it doesn’t work, those will be your second norms :sweat_smile:

Focus on cutting down on the smart phone screen time. That’s the most important.

1 Like

Thanks for your tips. Started with getting some zero-diopter time from today morning and will definitely be measuring my vision improvements from time to time as well as to get some outdoor distance vision whenever possible.

And I don’t get time to see my smartphone due to my hectic nature of work in the weekdays (but I wear my differentials to reduce ciliary lockup), so only spend few hours in the weekends (I’m trying my best to cut-down that too). Only bad screen habit I have is playing PC games in the weekends, but I’ve started to wear differentials for that, and reduce that time too and will see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your tips. Started with getting some zero-diopter time from today morning and will definitely be measuring my vision improvements from time to time as well as to get some outdoor distance vision whenever possible.

And I don’t get time to see my smartphone due to my hectic nature of work in the weekdays (but I wear my differentials to reduce ciliary lockup), so only spend few hours in the weekends (I’m trying my best to cut-down that too). Only bad screen habit I have is playing PC games in the weekends, but I’ve started to wear differentials for that, and reduce that time too and will see how it goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

PC games don’t improve vision, but actually if the monitor is good quality, big enough, and the gamer sits at a good distance with good posture (and it’s not just completely motionless staring at one point), then it seems to ruin the eyes less than smart phones or tablets watched at shorter distance than the arm’s length. You can always compensate this screen time with breaks spent outdoors.

1 Like

yes, bigger screen further away will reduce the harm.

Saw this on the FB group that I thought was funny and relevant to this.

3 Likes