No glasses before starting

Hey guys. I am quite new here. I started just two months ago. I need your advice badly. So before finding endmyopia I was not wearing glasses for many years because I believed they were ruining my eyes though I am approximately-5 ( yeah that was insane). But I was blur adapted and never attended optometrist ( childhood trauma). So I got tired of seeing nothing and finally got my " subscription" which was - 5 the optometrist didn’t tell me the exact number saying only that I could see nothing. So I asked her to under prescribe me because I was not used to wearing glasses and she kindly prescribed- 4. So the question is Is it Ok to start like this ? Or my cortex needs first clear vision? Because I jumped from huge blur to 20/50. - 5 glasses will be too much. Now with my normalized I see 20/ 25 on sunny days or 20/50 on cloudy days indoor. I am afraid that I won’t improve because of this situation. What is your suggestion guys?

2 Likes

If I had 20/25 in sunlight I’d try to spend as much time as possible outdoors and get my clarity there. How long have you been wearing these?

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, Kevin. I have been wearing them for two months now but I don’t see any improvements so I am afraid if I won’t even see any because my brain perhaps doesn’t even remember what full clarity is. But I will stick with them I suppose for more time. I was wondering may be anyone had the same situation or it was discussed here but I failed to find such a topic

20/25 is pretty good clarity. You should see things very clearly at something well under 20 feet. Are you measuring on 6m or 20ft Snellen? If you are using a 3m chart then that could be a problem.

1 Like

I think you’re on a good track. Probably not seeing sudden improvement because unlike most of us you’re not starting by releasing ciliary spasm. Have you found active focus? The journey takes time, don’t be discouraged and keep up the good habits!

2 Likes

You should have a clarity reference up close to you, no matter how myopic you are. Look at things near and far and try to find where that edge of blur is for you with your new glasses. When you can discern the edge of blur, then you can active focus to push that bubble out slightly.

I am -17, and I have perfect clarity if I bring something close enough to my face. My husband is only -3 and gives close inspection tasks to me, as I can bring it closer to my eye it’s much larger for me and at that close distance I can see very clearly.

At -5 your distance to blur without glasses would be about 20cm or so. If you’re 1 diopter under-prescribed, you’d have a distance to blur around a meter.

3 Likes

I’d personally say that’s a bit low acuity. Only 20/50 in indoor light… I would increase the normalised a bit by 0.25 or 0.5 D but also get some differentials, see my how to guide for power or very roughly 1 D less than your normalised

1 Like

I faced the same question as you when starting with habitual undercorrection. That’s not a case often talked about, as the premise for most advice here is that people start with their full correction as their only focal plane. You could up to your full prescription, get used to it, and start from there like the average person. That is not what I did. This is how I would summarize my experience:

1. Undercorrection (or lack of correction altogether) does not release ciliary spasm. Active focus does. I made initial improvement long after I removed all overcorrection, so it is possible that you too still have ciliary spasm and can experience better clarity simply from releasing it with adequate outdoor active focus.
  2. Being used to 100% clear vision is not a requirement for improvement. The requirement is a little bit of blur sensitivity, so that you know to use active focus and make the text clearer.

It is all a matter of comfort: if you want to go up to your 20/20 glasses and then reduce .25D at a time to experience good clarity at all times, then by all means go ahead. If you feel better with the clarity, do not deprive yourself because the lack of it won’t necessarily make you improve quicker. If you like your current correction, don’t want to change it, and are only concerned that it is impossible to improve in it, then I’d say there is a good chance you’ll get to where it is if you get AF and practice it well. It is just not what most people would prefer, perhaps unconsciously addicted to clarity.

If there is no safety concern for you, you can first focus on getting differentials and active focus. Once you’re completely comfortable with that, assess again and decide.

4 Likes

Thank you guys for your reply. I feel quite comfortable with these glasses, also I got normalised -3. I have 3 meter snellen but I am going to get 6 m one which is better. But I feel quite relieved if I really can improve like that so don’t want to jump to higher prescription because I took so much time even to get used to these ones. Concerning AF yes I found it and practice but not as much as I should I suppose. Some days I think I improved slightly, some days I think I am fooling myself. )) So thank you for your support, I will write when I improve :v:

2 Likes

I feel this way about AF. Some days it works great, others almost nothing.

The -3 you mentioned, are those your differentials?

3 Likes

Yes🤓my -3 are differentials but I think they are too strong. In one word, I am a woman and I have one million doubts every single day ))

1 Like

If they are a little strong, just increase the distance until you get a little bit of blur when you can. You’ll figure out when it’s more trouble than it’s worth and then reduce.

For what it’s worth I doubt myself daily.

1 Like

Do you use differentials when you read a book? If yes then I have to put it too far to get a little blur or I shall do it with no glasses at all? Hope you are not tired of my questions.

1 Like

I’ll go without glasses to use my phone if it’s only a minute or so. Anything longer I try to use my differentials. I think the extra convergence of very close work causes too much strain for me.

I would use the differentials for now even if you can’t get to edge of blur. Just having the book at arms length would probably be better for you than holding it close enough to read without glasses.

Don’t take anything I say as the right answer. You have to figure out what works for you. I’ll gladly answer questions and give opinions to help you along though.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help, highly appreciated. And the whole community is amazing.I will then be in my differentials but hold the phone as far as possible

1 Like