Non-lens induced axial myopia OR "permanent" ciliary spasm?

Something that’s been puzzling me for some time and I wonder if anyone has come across any data about it or shares a similar experience, I never gave into wearing lenses, in part it was a bad decision and in part a good one but where I stand today is basically in the -1 range, years of fairly consistent bad vision habits yet my myopia never started going up to -2.00, -3.00 and so on which aligns well with the fact that myopia in those ranges and above are almost always lens induced but this is where I wonder what my actual case might be, did my eyeballs actually elongate a bit over time to make all the near work easier or is it more a case of a ciliary spasm that became permanent over time and won’t resolve easily without a change in habits and positive stimulus.

Simply put, can axial elongation be caused by excessive close up without the involvement of correction? I have no data of my eyes’ axial length at any point and it’s not a strict constant number for everyone that can be called the “20/20 eye length” as far as I know so even if I get it measured it won’t really prove or disprove anything in my case.

Yes, it can, and I suspect that most of us started out that way. The introduction of correction simply speeded up the process. Yes, ciliary spasm due to excessive close vision can induce pseudomyopia, but with enough distance vision this pseudomyopia should resolve. The problem can start when an opto starts giving correction for this temporary myopia. But for those of us not dragged off to an opto at the first sign of myopia, we probably developed ‘real’ myopia that was not lens induced.

As you have such low myopia, having axial length measured now, and when you get to 20/20 may not show a lot a lot of axial shortening. It would be wonderful data for someone who started out with -6 or more and improved to 20/20. If that were due to axial shortening, it would certainly show.

2 Likes

Did they ever give eye drops in an examination? That shows if you have ciliary spasm, your vision would clear up if it were the case.
Axial elongation happens, because the eye is programmed to do that. For example: if the mechanism that governs eye growth is obstructed (like if you permanently covered one eye), the eye grows more than normal; it’s called form-deprivation myopia. It’s not necessarily because of wearing lenses.

1 Like

That makes sense, I’ve had times when I really was away from screens for a couple days or so but it didn’t magically make my myopia disappear, at that point it transformed into real myopia, had we known that it’s not a downhill that can’t be climbed back I doubt most of us would refuse or not care to put some effort to get our vision back early on, I’ve been too stubborn in particular.

True, and it seems like axial length change isn’t all that results in improved vision either, while I won’t have that scientifical data I still hope that if I do succeed my story and experiences will be of value to others treading on a similar path.

They did not, I don’t think I’ll ask for it myself for an eye exam either, I think it’s unlikely the case is still ciliary spasm after all these years but I can’t be certain, regardless of which it is the fix is the same as far as I’ve learned so far, I don’t think I’ve been this kind to my eyes in maybe over a decade and that says a lot…