Normalized for Medium Range and Indoors?

I’m brand new, so this might be a totally amateur question, but… how do you pick normalized glasses if you do a lot of medium range work? I’m talking house stuff, like cooking or washing dishes, and outdoor things like raking, dog walking with a friend, etc. The first set of normalized I should be at (1 diopter less than my last, uber-strong prescription) doesn’t challenge me at all in these settings, which seem to make up a large part of my day. That challenge is key, correct? So do I decrease diopters a bit more, or is there a different recommendation in this case?

Thanks!

4 Likes

This is an old video of Jake’s.
He’s changed his method slightly since then but I still really like this video as a guide.

You really wan’t to aim for only two sets of glasses. One Diff and one Norm.
To do this you need to pick a normalised prescription that will give you a bit of blur challenge outside in full natural light and indoors with less natural light.

This usually works for me. A Normalised prescription around 20/40 to 20/50 indoors will mean that I get blur challenge in most scenarios.

2 Likes

Thanks Alex! That was a super helpful video and addressed my indoor/outdoor issues. I’ll definitely utilize my eye chart more and stop decreasing so aggressively. I’ve been caught up in that mindset that if it’s not blurry, I’m not going to be able to make any progress but I’m realizing that’s not the right approach!

1 Like

I wear my Normalized all the time (except for extended close-up). But that also means that I cannot avoid hyperopic defocus all the time. For example if I grab something from the fringe I will be in hyperopic defocus for a few seconds. So I was wondering if it is harmful to be in hyperopic defocus for a few seconds?

1 Like

No.

There are divergent theories about axial lengthening.
Some think hyperopic defcous does most.
Some argue accommodation in myopia does bad and is the worst enemy.

I’d not worry at all about things you write unless you put severely overcorrected glasses in front of your eyes.

Some people have made great progress while wearing contact lenses the whole day. They cannot avoid hyperopic defocus neither. So I guess, it is only important to take off the Normalized for extended close-up work.

I had exactly the same question when I first started out. It turns out (as Jake explains) that changing lenses is actually pretty taxing on the eyes and visual system. It takes time to get used to a focal plane. The brain has to adjust to it and do a lot of fine muscle control changes. So it’s best not to change focal planes too much. Too many changes will likely confuse the brain and this probably hinders improvement.

Jake’s advice on dealing with blur challenge is to change some of your habits. You want to add some regular time for distance vision, and that should help with making improvements. By the way, you’re probably want to avoid any blur when doing close-up work, or you might be risking lots of eye strain. This is my experience, and others on the forum say the same thing.

Also, I’d say be careful about dropping a full dioptre right off the bat. That’s exactly what I did and I lived to regret it. I went down from -2.75 D to -1.75 D (also dropping weak astigmatism and a 0.25 L-R difference). Now I see this was probably way too aggressive. All in all I’ve only seen a 0.25 improvement in about 3 years and struggled with eye strain. Jake cautions to make small reductions, one at a time and I wish I’d listened to him. If I was to do it over again, I would probably drop the astigmatism and reduce by 0.25 while keeping the L-R difference. Then give that a few months and reduce again as needed, by 0.25 decrements.

In one of the Shortsighted podcasts I remember Jake talking about pilots having great eyesight even as they age since they’re constantly focusing near and far, from cockpit to sky.

Second what Markiyan said.
Its too tiresome worring about the details.
Look after the dollars and the pennies will follow.
EM is all about the big stuff, address your big causes of myopia, change habits and live your life.
Don’t stress about small stuff like a few seconds or minutes in closeup.

1 Like

I’m one of those “some people”. :blush:
I worked 50% from home and 50% from the office. When at home, I didn’t wear any corrections in front of the screen and in the house, and put the contacts in when I went out after work. When in the office, I wore the contacts all day for all distances, no reading glasses in front of my contacts for the close up. (OMG, how anti-EM is it?!? :scream:).
BUT!! At the same time I drastically reduced smart phone time, and I increased the time spent outdoors. And always made sure to have the best (preferably) natural lights at my desk, and kept at least 75cms from the big screens in the office (I could read the private messages on the neighbour’s screen, too). Also, I touch type and I keep looking around while typing. So my gaze was never fixed on one point only.
I don’t think you can ruin your eyesight by wearing full prescriptions for any distance above 2 or 3 meters. For anything closer than that, if it is not the screen, actually your eyes keep moving around, not frozen in one position. This is why reading a book is less damaging, especially if done with good lights and posture, because you’ll keep moving your eyes anyway.

So back to @Kali’s question on medium range: if it is really a significant time (comparable to your screen time) you can experiment with wearing differentials for cooking and washing dishes, or you can alternate differentials and normalised, or you can get a second set of differentials for that mid-distance (only if you really spend a lot of time with these activities), but I don’t think you’ll damage your vision by wearing normalised.
Just make sure you also spend time with real distance vision - looking at far away signs and objects, too, while walking the dog, etc. A lot of people find that while they are doing really well on a 3m Snellen, they are doing less than half that good on a 6m one, simply because they limited their distance to just a few meters.

2 Likes

Thanks Bianca! It’s helpful to hear about your experience with contact lenses/screens/habits. And a good reminder to keep looking around, out windows, etc. while doing that close-up work.

At the start of covid, my computer time jumped from minimal (I was in sales and mostly driving to accounts) to multiple hours a day when I switched to a home-based marketing role. All of my good habits that I had worked on while driving and meeting with clients went right out the window and I never replaced them with better ones.

Part of my struggle is that I got really good at pulling FAR distance–like horizons, highway signs, etc.–into focus with low powered glasses due to my traveling, but I didn’t learn how to translate any of that into medium, close range, or indoors. I think I started the process backwards?

Whatever the case, it feels really good to be starting this eye journey all over again with a much stronger foundation. I’m not greart at active focus for close range yet but I can get there, and I’m loving the challenge!

1 Like