Not a cult? (more rituals needed please)

From Facebook:

Not a cult? I was totally taken in by the beard. So much for studying for the priesthood…

3 Likes

Why do people keep insisting that this isn’t a cult?

5 Likes

My anthropologist friend got concerned about me when I reported the cult had accepted me as one of their own.

8 Likes

cult

/kəlt/

noun

1. a system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.

“the cult of St. Olaf”

• a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

“a network of Satan-worshiping cults”

Similar:

sect

religious group

denomination

religious order

church

faith

faith community

belief

persuasion

affiliation

movement

group

body

faction

clique

• a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.

“a cult of personality surrounding the leaders”

I don’t think this is religious nor is my admiration excessive.

re·li·gion

/rəˈlijən/

noun

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

No, not religious.

You’re going to have to crank up your supernatural beard powers more to count. It is the long beard that is also not a long beard? The clean shaven long beard? Anything else mystical about it?

1 Like

I mean … you have guy claiming that he’s a guru. Not just that, but the last living one, of all the wholey eye gurus.

And an interdimensional, mystical beard. To which various wisdoms are attributed.

I think that’s at the very least concerning.

3 Likes

Cult? Deffo
:popejake:

3 Likes

I think you need to make sinister announcements of apocalypse if you want to be taken seriously as a cult.

If the world doesn’t reach the last diopter by Feb 22, 2022 at 20:20 the true End of Myopia through eternal fire will consume all but twenty of twenty.

This whole “go outdoors and practice your distance vision with slightly reduced correction” doesn’t inspire people enough. It’s also too specific.

when the last eyeball
has shortened
and the light is focused
the end will come

4 Likes

I don’t think Jake runs a cult.

Guys, I’m afraid to say this isn’t good enough.

When people think of EM, the very first thing that comes to mind should be that:
A. this is a cult
B. we have weird rituals
C. we’re actively recruiting new members

Everyone loves a good cult, it provides people with a sense of togetherness and fellowship, united under the vision of one megalomanical leader. Bates method guys are so and so on their cultness level, but we really are failing in this regard. Eye exercises are pretty wacky, I’ll give them that, but what we really need are some rituals that will take it to the next level. I’m talking:

• Names for the Active Focus deities
  • Weird flute songs that we play slightly off note
  • Denial of all clinical studies that go counter to what we want to believe (yes optometry ‘scientists’, you don’t have a monopoly on this one)
  • Dress code
    Jet_Set_Radio_characters_dancing_around
  • It is now spelled 几ㄖ尺爪卂ㄥ丨乙乇ᗪ

Still feel like we’re falling short. This discussion was brought to you by the wrong priorities club

5 Likes

:clap: Cult :clap: review:

• The group is focused on a living leader to whom members seem to display excessively zealous, unquestioning commitment. :man_shrugging:
  • The group is preoccupied with bringing in new members. :white_check_mark:
  • The group is preoccupied with making money. :x:
  • Questioning, doubt, and dissent are discouraged or even punished. :x:
  • Mind-numbing techniques (such as meditation, chanting, speaking in tongues, denunciation sessions, debilitating work routines) are used to suppress doubts about the group and its leader(s). :x:
  • The leadership dictates sometimes in great detail how members should think, act, and feel (for example: members must get permission from leaders to date, change jobs, get married; leaders may prescribe what types of clothes to wear, where to live, how to discipline children, and so forth). :x:
  • The group is elitist, claiming a special, exalted status for itself, its leader(s), and members (for example: the leader is considered the Messiah or an avatar; the group and/or the leader has a special mission to save humanity). :x:
  • The group has a polarized us- versus-them mentality, which causes conflict with the wider society. :man_shrugging:
  • The group’s leader is not accountable to any authorities (as are, for example, military commanders and ministers, priests, monks, and rabbis of mainstream denominations). :white_check_mark:
  • The group teaches or implies that its supposedly exalted ends justify means that members would have considered unethical before joining the group (for example: collecting money for bogus charities). :x:
  • The leadership induces guilt feelings in members in order to control them. :x:
  • Members’ subservience to the group causes them to cut ties with family and friends, and to give up personal goals and activities that were of interest before joining the group. :x:
  • Members are expected to devote inordinate amounts of time to the group. :x:
  • Members are encouraged or required to live and/or socialize only with other group members. :x:

Guys what the heck. It’s over before it began :brokensob:

2 Likes

Hey, I think I was recruited under false pretences. I joined up because of that mystic ritual described in the propaganda where initiates solemnly change their glasses every few months with lenses specially made by an ancient Chinese priesthood of the god Zini, with suspiciously low charges for their ministrations. If this isn’t a real cult, I want out, not believing the outsiders’ claim that apostates always meet with some fatal “accident.”

6 Likes

More and more signs triggering my suspicion.
No video rants against mainstream, reducing number of profile photos with kittens, no secretly coded meowing message at the end of the videos, Le Meow replaced to EM and registered trademark is added… and then a topic on razors?
The last straw was the high street opto confirming I was right not wearing my glasses as I didn’t need them anymore by their measurement either.
This is not a cult. It’s turning totally mainstream. Totally normal.

1 Like

Warning loud noises

3 Likes

To be fair, I was told this wasn’t a cult when I told someone that palming wasn’t and EM method, but it wouldn’t hurt if they wanted to try it.

Give us half credit on that one. We do generally think we’re smarter than the average sheeple. It’s pretty standard conspiracy thinking.

Half credit there too. We do tell people to have less book and screen time, which may lead to giving up a particularly addicting screen activity.

Also half credit. Not every member is expected, but that is how one gains prestige within the group. Gainz reports excepted, the amount of discussion and research is important in group standings. Before we went full public on the forum there was even a tier system enforced by the software based on post volume.

3 Likes

I nominate Dirk to write an article in Category:Joke articles - EndMyopia Wiki We need a proper cult pamphlet.

2 Likes

Ya’ll have to pick one of those. I’ll gladly contribute the very illustrious beard, but definitely not any leader bits.

Ouch.

Time to go buy some props and make some cult-ish videos.

3 Likes

Definitely need to do lots of Satan worshiping and pray for more people to have worsening eyesight so that our cult will rule the world.

Hail Satan!

This video has waylaid me online, and it tells me what Jake’s videos are sorely lacking:

Scare tactics
Emphasis on how controversial his message is
A persecution complex that says that the video will soon be censored
Introduce a warning that God wants you to follow his advice

Clearly Jakey has a lot to learn.

2 Likes

I think you’re confusing religion with conspiracy theories. (Although they’re not far apart.)