Not-EM but coming from a good angle

It’s a nice mixture of relaxing the eyes and training the eyes for coordination with a focus on the connection between balance/movement and vision.
The coordination of the eyes is slightly under-emphasized in EM due to the connotation of the Bates-method but I think some exercises at certain points of the journey around gaze stabilization and shifting are really helpful.

When fitness coaches and personal trainers talk about vision it is always around proper depth perception depending on clear vision. Surely resonates with those who - after a drop - experienced 3D vision (me! for example)
FYI, these guys have circus training. They focus on preserving good eyesight vs. EM on reversing myopia.

I linked a few videos from their channel, they are really short.

AF

Gaze

Relaxation

Vision drills

Vision drills - advanced

6 Likes

You have opened up Pandora’s vase here. I found a couple of nice vision related ones from these guys as well. Here is one on peripheral vision training. They have quite a few on improving vision.

3 Likes

Pretty close to EM as far as the basic principles are concerned.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. The first part of the video from them is here
Interesting thoughts on stress or focusing causing loss of peripheral vision due to the tunnel vision. But this can work the other way around, too. Losing peripheral vision may cause constant stress - affecting movement, emotions and thinking. Also influences speed and balance, of course.
As he points out vision or peripheral awareness is not the same as eyesight, but rather “how well you can see what you are actually not looking at”.
He also mentions that with Alzheimer the first thing to deteriorate is the peripheral awareness, before any other signs and cognitive impairment so often means moving poorly and falling more. So it’s definitely worth working on the peripheral vision!

2 Likes

Interesting thread!
Would you guess that these people know about EM and are tweaking it?
or are coming from somewhere else?

2 Likes

I think there are ancestors in common. EM wasn’t born de novo. But I do suspect the term active focus used by the jugglers comes from EM. Who knows? Does it matter?

In the comments @gemilymez directly asked and he said yes, he follows @jakey :slight_smile: Though not exclusively, just getting ideas from him too. But yeah, the whole terminology for that active focus video is Endmyopia terminology, I’ve never seen anywhere else explained it like this.

2 Likes

That explains it - thanks.

It also explains why I saw the same problem with his theory about the ciliary muscles being exercised by active focus as I see in EM. It would certainly explain improvement in hyperopia and presbyopia, but not the additional flattening of the lens required in myopia.

Yes, that’s similar to what I was thinking about in the other topic :slight_smile:

I would say to prefer peripheral vision promoting activities, and creating environments which promotes peripheral vision (eg.: work with screen in a well lit room having the screen as far as realistically possible vs. dark room where the only light is the screen looking from 40 cm). Initially exercises can be helpful to rediscover peripheral vision (just as you need to rediscover AF). But in the long run habits stay, exercises usually don’t :slight_smile:

Thanks, this completes the picture. Fits in very much with Andrew Huberman’s work.

1 Like

Actually with this one I didn’t mean habit, unless we mean it in the sense that I have hobbies that involve habits of repeating exercises and movements that expand / maintain peripheral awareness.

I have played string instruments for decades, a lot in orchestras, too. I never realised before but having this hobby meant the habit of AF (shared music stand - e.g. Handel’s Messiah is almost 3 hours long so you definitely need to actually read the notes), and while reading the notes also changing focal planes and maintaining peripheral vision to get information from the conductor who is trying to influence the orchestra with facial expressions and waving the stick, from the soloist who goes artistic and changes tempo or delays the start of the next phrase, from my left hand to get the notes right, etc.
So thinking about it I unconsciously did a lot for AF, for balance and for eye-hand coordination that somehow compensated for the poor lights and asymmetrical position.
Good article on musicians in @Kam 's post

If I do it 10-15 hours a week is it a hobby, a habit, work or an exercise? I don’t mind the “work” or “exercise” in this context. :relaxed: I invested a lot of time and efforts regularly in these even if I fully enjoyed doing them.

5 Likes