NottNott Fixes His Eyesight From -5 (video log!)

13 Likes

Bit of a brain teaser. I’ve definitely had huge amounts of close up time recently, and my blur horizon from even OS -3 OD -4 glasses has come back. So I’m fairly confident that I’ve got pseudomyopia again. No biggie, the pseudomyopia wouldn’t appear to be nearly as bad as pre-EM pseudomyopia as I observe good differential habits, and I’ve taken steps very recently to cut down on screen time and get more distance vision. Going to uni again makes getting more distance vision much easier, you have real reasons to leave your room.

Despite getting more and more pseudomyopia, my cms are still higher than from when I started measuring about two months ago (and had no pseudomyopia). Furthermore I still see many eye floaters, most of which show up in the sunlight, which would imply I’m still making improvements. I get the impression that although I’ve given myself pseudomyopia again, the axial change is still happening.

3 Likes

why do you think they are new floaters and not simply the old ones still?

I was thinking about you yesterday that you’ve not posted recently and wondering how you do :slight_smile: Well it looks like it’s time to stop playing that much Classic :wink:

6 Likes

I believe I have more floaters now than I did before to be honest, even when I was getting more distance vision. So I think they’re new floaters.

It’s so much fun though!!

1 Like

HaHAAAA! Cut back on screen time a fair bit and got 37cm and 25cm left and right respectively. Highest measurement I’ve had, and I still think I’ve got some recently acquired pseudomyopia left in me!

Looking into the vision logging tool that’s talked about a lot here :wink:

EDIT: And just like that, my homemade spreadsheet doesn’t seem all that great anymore. Being able to measure with differentials is very good, thanks @Varakari!

10 Likes

Good work! Keep on going

3 Likes

Been using @Varakari’s tool for two weeks now, what sold me on it is how it’s much more consistent and ‘scientific’ than what I was doing before. You can also measure your myopia with differentials on, which lets you see the smaller changes you might not have witnessed before. Very good :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen any gains in the last two weeks, and that means there’s an issue. I’m chalking this up to eye strain, something I really have not been considering correctly since I’ve started wearing differentials. It’s not just enough to wear differentials unfortunately, and pseudomyopia has been creeping back into my eyes for some time now with high amounts of screen time which would explain the stagnation.

Jake recommends a 5 minute distance vision break every 20 minutes of close up time initially, and then moving up to one hour of distance vision after three hours of close up time after you’ve ‘regained your eye strain senses’. However, there’s also the 20-20-20 rule which just says 20 seconds after every 20 minutes will also prevent the strain. Also, my differentials let me see about 47 cms from the screen, so perhaps more powerful differentials with a further back posture would reduce strain further. Just wondering what you guys do to prevent eye strain throughout the day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad you like the tool! I’m interested in how it works out for you. If there’s interest, I hope to find some more time to work on it, maybe add some analysis or more flexible plotting features? :nerd_face:

Heh… I wish it would be like that for me. :sweat_smile: The changes in eyesight I get over two weeks seem mostly random.

You’re in Britain, right? The dark season has begun. Don’t be like me last year and underestimate it… I kinda dread this season after what happened last time. Took me many months just to undo the losses. :no_mouth:

I’m not sure what to do myself, but I’ll try to make use of noon sunlight whenever available.

4 Likes

For me what helps most avoiding straining my eyes is combating tunnel vision. It’s hard, because it’s another habit you need to get or change. What I mean by it is that when I use computer / mobile I try to pay attention not just to the screen, but my surrounding too. And by that I don’t mean taking a break. I mean that literally while I’m writing this text I try to be aware things on my desk (colorful / high contrast compared to the background helps). I found the more I do the less eye strain / ciliary spasm I develop during close-up (usually it means I need less time to clear the spasm after longer close-up sessions).

5 Likes

Funnily enough, it was the sample georg.xml file that you included with the tool that totally got me questioning my progress and got me thinking about eye strain! Your file shows progress for most two week periods, whereas for me it was stagnating (as well as stagnating with my earlier method of measuring myopia).

Up til the 12 August 2019 I was definitely reducing way too quickly, so I wasn’t getting the stimulus I needed and went through a lot of blur adaptation. However, I was getting plenty of distance vision in this time. Between 12 Aug and 23 Aug I did see genuine improvement in my cms, very similar to your rate, but my last shift at work was on 23 Aug and the incentive to go outside dipped heavily, so I stopped getting the distance vision I needed. I wasn’t considering the amount of close up time I was doing, thinking diffs would be enough and here we are. So I had a long period of reducing too quickly, a long period of too much close up, and a tiny period where I did everything correctly :slight_smile:

Yeah, your file shows that your progress stagnated and dipped last winter :laughing: Although the overall trend is on the way up, so everything is working for the long run :grin:

3 Likes

Sweet! I’m going to increase the strength of my differentials and move further from the screen, and consider my peripheral vision as well. A bright desk lamp should help. Do you have a guesstimiate for how long you take to clear spasm after close-up sessions? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My longest close-up is my afternoon workday usually, that means about 5 hours of close-up with only 2-3 of 5-10 minutes breaks. After that currently it takes about 10-15 minutes to clear the spasm. In the past it was 30-40 minutes.

5 Likes

This is awesome! Well, not the stagnating part. :sweat_smile: But this is the first time I see the logging format used in the way it was envisioned! The big strength of a well-defined format is that users can look at other logs and compare with their own.

I’m looking forward to seeing how your story goes on. And to nagging you for the log and details whenever something interesting happens. :nerd_face::stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Great! Enjoying this progress report. :slight_smile:

I think with a bit more of this and finding a steady progression will be perfect. And then looking back, the retrospective of how it all came together could be a great lesson for others. How to harness enthusiasm, making sense of initial experiences, another perspective on possible expectations.

3 Likes

Curious about this statement… Do you mean decrease the strength? Or do you have a differential strategy for moving back?

I work with computers all day. In one way I’m lucky to work in an open bay. I can take breaks every so often and look at targets twenty to forty or fifty feet away. Every few hours I get outside for a five minute walk, and half an hour at lunch.

What I can’t do is adjust my work area. So, laptop at arm’s length, with monitor above and behind it. My diffs are +2.0 from my norms.

I’d have to say the breaks contribute as much as my diffs to reducing eyestrain.

Increase strength and move further back from the screen are consistent with each other…

You don’t neccessarily need to do that. At least I’m currently about 50 cm from the screen. I think what counts more is what beside your screen: it much better to have good lightning (so no looking at screen while dark in the room) and it’s better to not have the screen right next to the wall (so while your screen is 50cm, the wall and so your peripheral vision “targets” are 1m, or more farther). At least I have much less eye strain in my workplace where I’m sitting in a really bright office (windows along 2 wall) and where my desk is looking to the center of the office (so next wall is about 2m) than at home, where the room is a bit dark even in daylight and where the behind of the screen touches the wall (unfortunately I cannot really change the setup at the moment). It may also explain why I have less eye strain during the weekdays even though I spend less time before the screen at weekend.

4 Likes

This thread kind of sucks in a way for me, as every other post is admitting some… mistake that I’ve made along this journey. It’s not the greatest feeling to invest so much time and effort into “promoting” something as some kind of miracle, yet at the same time making huge fundamental errors the entire time and shafting your chances of success. I really don’t like admitting I was badly wrong about something, and I’m not asking for advice/sympathy with this post. I did say from the start I’d try to give an honest and accurate account of my experience with EM from start to finish, warts and all, in the hopes that other people can learn from my mistakes which have been spelled out to a T. My channel is only just beginning and I plan on making far much more content in the future, but big reasons like this are why I’ve been very hesitant to give advice to other people before I’ve gotten the results myself, otherwise I’m a faker :wink:

My final prescription in October 2018 before any EM stuff was OD/OS -5.75/-4.25. My first ever pair of differentials I bought was OD/OS -4/-3, which had a very close-up blur horizon. As my very high levels of eye strain started falling off, I got excited and started reducing very quickly, from my starting point of -4/-3, which I assumed were the most strong pair of normalised I’d wear, my starting point. After a few months of reducing far too quickly and making loads of lovely videos being excited about EM, on the 8 August I found out I hadn’t been improving that quickly and instead was going through blur adaptation and strong self belief. For some reason I didn’t question whether my highest normalised of -4/-3 was strong enough at this point. Mistake #1.

So I bumped up the strength of what I was wearing and got some genuine improvements while AFing on objects within the blur horizon. But that only lasted for about 12 days, and a short time after World of Warcraft: Classic came out and I stopped giving myself the proper stimulus needed. Fast forward to about two days ago and I figured that eye strain was causing my gains to suffer, and I had falsely assumed that purely wearing differentials with no breaks would be enough to prevent pseudomyopia. Should have read the blog more. Mistake #2.

Cherry on top of all of this is that after cutting back on eye strain significantly, I’ve realised how close my blur horizon with OD/OS -4/-3 (my ‘strongest’ normalised I’ll need) really is in the first place. The only way I’m seeing number plates sharply even relatively far away is with a lot of AF, and it’s easy enough for them to go blurry again moving far enough away. …Mistake #3.

I guess you can also say another mistake is trying to cheat the eye tests by using heavy AF, and that worked really well don’t get me wrong, but those results are actually just innacurate measures of my true level of myopia. So those aren’t real improvements. What I’m trying to get at here, is that I don’t think I’ve made very much progress at all since starting this journey, besides the initial improvements, because the most powerful normalised I’ve worn up to this point has been OD/OS -4/-3 :laughing:

Fear not, now bewildered reader of the thread who wants to see a happy ending. I doubt the happy ending is coming very soon, but I’m assured it is coming eventually. My new pair of normalised will be OD/OS -4.75/-3.75. I got this number from playing around with @Varakari’s brilliant vision logging tool, and measuring my myopia correctly. When you’re measuring edge of blur, you want to move your head back, away from the target, not toward the target from far away. Otherwise you underestimate your myopia (my values basically said I was OD/OS -4/-3) and wonder why you’re not making improvements. This new pair of normalised is intentionally conservative and will let me finally see some trendlines in an improvement direction so I know I’m on the right track again.

So yes, let’s pretend none of this ever happened and start from scratch. My name is Andrew, I’ll be 20/20 one day, and I’ll get to look back on all of this and laugh very loudly :grin:

16 Likes

I see that you used varakaris tool but I am curious why you decided to skip a whole dioptor out of the equation and not say there was a gain??? The starting point of your prescription is either very faulty or your measurement shows gain, or the optimism is clouding the measurement… not saying you’re wrong but I thought I would ask that seemingly important question. Considering the 1 dioptor drop in 1 eye and not the other it seems there is something missing.

1 Like