NottNott Fixes His Eyesight From -5 (video log!)

I think one variable here might be related to the problem of accurate measuring, example:

Person A and person B both wear -5 glasses. Both reduce by 1dpt. Person A improves their eyesight, Person B does not. One possible explanation might be that Person A was overpresribed and actually reduced way less than 1 dpt, while Person B was on the verge of actually needing a even higher prescription and thus reduced at least 1 dpt, if not more. Both people state they “started out with -5 and reduced by 1 dpt” when acutally there was a difference in myopia that they subjectively did not notice/report. When it comes to these things we really have a problem of valid data and thus comparability. I would say that using the -0.25 reductions is a conservative rate that allows for such differences to not take a huge toll and enable gains for most people.

2 Likes

On this bright and sunny day, it’s -3.50/-2.75 time.

A few notes, didn’t actually get much distance vision at all in past 10 days. I’m following the ‘wear less correction if you can get away with it’, holistic approach that Jake’d recommend for low myopia with this one. So, at least for today I can wear less correction. I reckon probably in bad lighting too. On this sunny day, it’s feeling fine, and just like where I’d reduce for my last reduction.

I’m getting a comfortable 26.5 on cm in my right eye, which is 3.77 diopters. Time to drop by 0.25.

That puts the previous reduction of -3.75/-2.75 in at 40 days, from 5 Nov to 15 Dec.

Also, reduced my diffs today finally, from -2/-1 to -1.25/-0.50.

7 Likes

Today was terrible sunlight and raining, but -3.50/-2.75 still held up. There we go, those are my norms

#gains

5 Likes

Congrats !

1 Like

I recently watched a painter explain how imitating another painter is an impossible task even if you have exactly the same tools as them, simply because the way you paint depends not on what you use but on the way you think, the way you see the world, the way you move your hands, … Basically, the way your brain works. While the mechanisms of our eyes are essentially the same, maybe the answer to this difference is in knowing why we do what we do, why some brains decide to push for improvement in a given set of circumstances and not others. By which I mean, how much AF we do subconsciously, while our main focus is something that is not the blur. And alternatively, how much strain do we add to ourselves out of habit.

I have not been able to improve for quite a long time while wearing an undercorrection and knowing AF. Admittedly my phone use time was nowhere near 0, but I got back into EM specifically because of a time I lost my glasses and started going out without them (without any extreme change in habits) and by some point, I noticed improvement. I have no idea what prevented me from improving before that, and to be frank it annoys me because whatever it was, it was happening on a mostly subconscious level so I have no way to pinpoint it.
I have noticed though, that I tend to strain more when I wear glasses. During my first years wearing glasses, they used to give me terrible, terrible headaches and I had to push through and to “get used to them”. I associated being “mindless” of my body with wearing glasses no matter how undercorrected. As a result, unless I am intentionally being mindful of my surroundings, I tend to zone out and stop challenging my eyes if I have glasses on until I remember to do so. And so, maybe I would get 10 minutes of doing AF in a 1 hour walk? Meanwhile, I suspect that not wearing glasses gives my brain a cue to do AF on autopilot. A “no glasses so there is blur” cue so that the blur gets cleared even while I am somewhat lost in thought.

It is purely a theory, but I suspect that the “cue” for everybody is different. In all likelihood, it is a state suspiciously similar to when the first reduction/improvement was noticed. Some people forget to clear blur if there is too much of it, other people forget to do it if there isn’t enough of it. It is not so much about how much blur there is as how much blur your brain associated with the habit of continuous active focus.
Maybe.

2 Likes

Maybe my newest pet theory could explain all of those? :slight_smile: (beware: wall of text) Horse Riding insight on eyes

tl;dr: just wearing glasses promotes “tunnel vision” mode, and chronic tunnel vision is straining the eye (which I can imagine lead to headaches). AF is possible in “tunnel vision” mode, but it may not or just slightly contribute to improvements.

Wow, holy shit!!

6 Likes

The forum devotees

3 Likes

Welcome to the very elite club of devotees. :smile:

4 Likes

I would be curious what and how many days I’ve missed :smiley:

Here you go @halmadavid The Endmyopia Forum
Not sure what to make of the information. As Yourself and @NottNott had 365, yet @Ursa had got 366. :woozy_face:

1 Like

I seem to remember that it took a few days after 365 to be granted the badge, so David might be getting it soon. I wonder who gave it the name devotee - it smacks a little too much of cultism for my liking. :wink:

These are built-ins in the forum, not custom made.

1 Like

I thought as much, and it doesn’t really bother me.

1 Like

You might want to change …/c/NottNott to just youtube.com/NottNott

By the way, you made interesting videos.
Your days as myope are numbered :slight_smile:
And yes, some stores don’t offer quality ophthalmic or contact lenses with 0.25 increments after -8, -6 or -5. So sometimes it’s even about sacrificing the clarity by reducing 0.50 for lens quality in high myopia is OK IMO. Guys like FMR seen to think high myopia reduces faster. But there is no reliable data for this.

2 Likes

I wasn’t even looking for it really this time. I thought I’d reach out from under my dark cold rock and check out my eyesight thanks to @gemilymez’s recent vid on Active Focus.

Full disclosure, I’ve been a complete turtle these past 73 days, next to no daily distance vision, almighty habits in the trash can. With that said… still wearing my differentials obviously. And… it’s time to reduce!?

That’s right baby, no distance vision and yet all the gains. I haven’t been doing any of that print pushing junk, just using my monitor at a good edge of blur distance. Haven’t been consciously thinking too much about what, mostly newcomers, think they need to constantly think about either, like ‘zomg am i doing my active focus?!?’. I guess at this point I just do it, because it’s a thing normal people do. In three months I will be celebrating my second Endmyopia anniversary though, so all of the trial and error and refinement over two years should be taken into account here. If you wanted a test subject for ‘give someone the maximum amount of screen time probably possible over 73 days and see what happens to their eyesight’ that’s probably what just happened, seriously. I think this is kind of an issue given that distance vision is super lauded, and I totally promoted it in my beginner’s guide video and everything, this could get really dicey.

In response I can say it might have taken longer to improve my vision without distance vision (maybe?). Or, actually all of the time I spent walking around the house with my normalised was actually what put me over the edge, that’s not insignificant. Or, what usually seems to be the case, this is just reducing too quickly or fake results or something etc you know the drill. I checked the cms, they line up with improvement and the Snellen looks really nice with -3.50/-2.75, with not much blur challenge.

So the last pair of normalised was -3.50/-2.75, an equalising pair down from -3.75/-2.75 previously. My next normalised that I will be wearing is -3.25/-2.50. A full reduction feels so much better than equalising as well.

My enthusiasm for all of this spikes on a long-term and well deserved reduction such as this. I kind of have to process that new diopter number as well, it’s mad. I was wearing like -4/-3 not too long ago. I get all the same thoughts I got when I first found out about this stuff, like, you’ve got to be kidding me. They didn’t really go away. Just wow.

-3.25/-2.50

^ That number is actually really hard to believe, it seems like the beginning of low myopia to me. I came from -5.50/-5.00.

8 Likes

Congratulations on the new reduction. The core of the EM method is challenge and response, and you seem to be able to do this without all the trimmings.

3 Likes

Well, technically if you’re using differentials you’re still using distance vision. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, congrats on your reduction!

I’ve also been improving despite near-zero outside time, but I do have a good setup with windows behind my screen and a bright LED lamp. I’m now attempting to lose the glasses for the screen, might not be fully there yet but I want to see how my eyes respond.

4 Likes

I get the feeling pure screentime won’t work well when I get to low myopia.

2 Likes

More background information. To be honest, my more myopic right eye has acuity of a joke. Even on my previous normalized it can barely see the Snellen in artificial light. In good natural light it can see 20/20 fairly well, but artificial light destroys it.

I’m learning that reducing just based off of your Snellen results isn’t totally wise. There seems to be some kind of hardcore double vision distortion thing going on in bad light. Different lighting conditions affect the result, and you have to take other factors into account.

Measured my highest ever cms: 40.5 in my left eye and 28 in my right.

3 Likes