Optometrist Confirmed Improvement

Hey guys,

So I started my journey with -1.75 left and -2 eye from my optometrist with 0.25 of cyl. After learning about Endmyopia a couple months ago, I decided to go with -1.25 both eyes. I kept this normalized for about a couple months before visiting the optometrist today.

I went to a different optometrist today, so when I walked in she asked me my prescription and I decided to tell her I am -1.5 just to give her a baseline. So basically after all the tests, she told me my uncorrected vision is 20/70. The auto refractor read me at -2, but after doing the vision tests I was able to see 20/20 even 20/10 actually with -1.5 on both eyes.

She decided to give me a prescription of both -1.5 both eyes for contacts and glasses and even told me I don’t need astigmatism! So big improvement from my last prescription!

Moving forward is it a good idea to drop to -1 on both eyes as my new normalized?

Also had I not mentioned -1.5 as a baseline do you guys think the optometrist would have still corrected me to -1.5 as my “full prescription”. We tried -1.25 but I think it did not correct me to perfect vision, but she decided to go for -1.5.

I’m starting to not trust some optometrists as my previous one tried to give me -2.25 contacts. But this optometrist seemed very helpful!

10 Likes

Hi Doctor, I’d like a second opinion. I’m not sure about this diagnosis.
Well, what did the first doctor say you have?
He said I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.
Yes, now that I see you here in my office I think you have Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Certainly so!

Hard to say. I think part of it is they’re actually listening and doing a good job and notice that you see very well with -1.5, so from their point of view -1.5 is working well, so why change it? At least they’re not mindlessly obeying the autorefractor when you can see 20/10 with both eyes at -1.5!

If everything has been going well with -1.25 and you don’t feel like you’re getting any focus challenge for a few weeks, that sounds reasonable to me.

It’s pretty interesting that the -0.25 of CYL has just vanished, along with half a diopter of SPH from your right eye!

That really sounds like over-prescription. I think part of the problem is that optometrists are so used to patients getting worse all the time, that if you’re -2 now they assume you’ll be -2.25 or -2.5 by the time you come in for your next appointment.

1 Like

Yes it was a very interesting experience. I can now say that auto refractors are not accurate. I am starting to believe in EndMyopia even more after this experience.

I think I will keep -1.5 for occasions where I need full correction and drop my normalized to -1.0!

I hope soon I can I have another optometrist give me another confirmed correction of -1! I will be sure to post that one to the Facebook group!

Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

No.

I’ve been at -1.25 for about 3 months. I can see 20/20 with them on a bright sunny day on the snellen outside.

1 Like

In that case, yes.

2 Likes

Our numbers are remarkably similar (although I have had the same “prescription” for both eyes). I’m having some puzzling issues (no angst, just things to think about) at the moment between -1.25 and -1.00. After a little more experience of it, I’ll share about it here to gleen the gathered opinion about some questions that I have.

Also since I was told my I uncorrected vision is 20/70, doesn’t that mean I should be -1.25 “full optometrist correction”?

I googled a chart which shows that 20/70 is -1.25 diopters.

1 Like

Correct. That’s about -1.25 in opto correction (but without the “night time driving in rain” overcorrection)

This is merged from several slightly different conversions I found
20/200 = -2.00 to -2.50
20/100 = -1.5 to -2.00 (sometimes marked as -1.75 to -2.00)
20/70 = -1.25
20/50 = -1.00 to -1.25
20/40 = -0.75
20/30 = -0.5
20/25 = -0.25
20/20 = plano to -0.25
Interestingly this is what I found for the other lines
20/15 = plano
20/10 = plano (zero)

1 Like

Why does the autorefractor not verify my improvement?

I feel like that the photoropter tests are very subjective, when they ask is 1 or 2 better? Sometimes they look the same.

There’s something called instrument myopia. It happens to people trying to look through a microscope, for example. You see the target in the autorefractor is a few inches from your face so your eye wants to focus up close instead of far away.

Problem with autorefractor from some blog…

2 Likes

For some reason, autorefractors lower my actual diopters, even astigmatism. Sometimes they overestimate astigmatism.

2 Likes

So do you recommend I have a dilated eye exam before using the autorefractor for an accurate result?

I personally just prefer to use the eye chart at home since that’s closer to “real world” conditions. Someone who is good at doing dilated eye exams can probably do better than the auto-refractor. There is something called “objective retinoscopy” that they can do with loose lenses and an retinoscope but I’ve never seen anyone do it on me in real life, it has a little bit of skill involved.

2 Likes

Even optos know that the autorefractor overmeasures and even they don’t convert the results straight to prescription.
My personal experience with opto checkups since EM is that the autorefractor lags behind. I.e. autorefractor readings are higher than the optos measurement and then the optos measurement is higher than my own measurement. But with time, all 3 keep going down nicely.

2 Likes

Is there benefit to going to a ophthalmologist versus a optometrist for an eye exam?

Or will it be the same subjective tests “is 1 clearer than 2”?

They’re medically trained, and maybe less likely to sell you glasses but more likely to sell you LASIK. I don’t know if they would do subjective refraction or not: “is 1 clearer than 2?” If there is anything medical going on with you, one hopes they’d be more likely to pick up on it. Unfortunately I think it really comes down to whether you run into a good one or a bad one (just like car mechanics, or dentists, or … almost everything else.)

Objective refraction uses loose lenses and a retinoscope to see what lens causes your eye to fill up with light. Ophthalmology - Retinoscopy (Part 1/2) - YouTube

They also might be more likely to have fancy machines that could tell your axial length measurement.

It will be the same. Only exception is that typically they don’t earn their living by selling glasses directly so some of them are less motivated to give you extras not needed.
Don’t worry about the machine’s measurement, it will reduce slowly, too. Even optos use them as guides only and when they check you with the test lenses they prescribe you less than what the machine measured.

This thread is curious… I am quite curious why you didn’t tell the new opto that you were -1.25, and am curious what your indoor measurements with them are as this:

is not a great rubric for measurement. I am also curious why you ran back to the opto so quickly. Are you uncertain of your own measurements? i think it would be good to learn to trust yourself a bit more, it is very important for this journey. As has already been stated it is not a great plan to put too much faith in the autorefractor and for that matter the opto measurements should be taken in stride too. Vision is highly variable, the most accurate measurements you will ever get will be from tracking the trends in your vision over time, through proper measuring practices.

For the most part the ophtalmologist is the one that is recommended for eye health exam, but regular eye health screenings is a good idea and if you have a preferred opto go there. As for their measurements… most of us just add them to our data and leave it at that.