Please I am a 13 year old and I am finding it difficult do understand everything

Hey @NottNott and all my buddies I have a -1.25 sph in the left eye with -0.5 stigmatism and -3.5 Sph in the right eye with -0.5 astigmatism.This means that I have low myopia in one eye and high myopia in the other right?So,should I consider wearing differentials.with a -1.5 correction in the right eye and no correction in the left?.Can I ignore the stigmatism in the differentials(If i wear)cuz its just -0.5.Do I have amblyopia.If so can you tell some endmyopia method to fix it.PLEASE HELP ME .PLEASE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.And should I do active focus separately with my right eye???

relax I will create soon a youtube channel for newbies about my how I do it. Hopefully it will make it easier for newbies to have first success.

Active focus with one eye is a very bad idea. It causes so much headaches, it is unnecessary. I tried it for some months, because I thought only one eye can focus at a time, but that was wrong. Both eyes can focus at the same time, it just takes more time until both eyes do it. Mostly only one of them starts to do it and it takes some time until the other one activates too.

You just need the right lenses for both eyes so both can focus and clear up the blur.

Nobody can help you with choosing the right lenses. You can buy a test lens kit to figure them out for your distances or go to a glasses shop and use their test lens kit to find it out and to order new glasses. Just take a printed paper with the right test sizes to the shop and buy very cheap glasses in case you took the wrong diopters.

For close up your left eye does not need correction because it should see clearly until 80cm (100 : 1,25 = 80) but for right eye you need a correction (100 : 3,5 = 28cm).
You should definetly buy glasses without cylinders because astigmatism is lower than -1. You can improve astigmatism later, first improve only sphere.

3 Likes

Anyone writing this in all caps probably needs to slow down a tiny bit :thonking:

Your differentials sound about right if you’re close to your screen, maybe. I made a video about distance to blur calculations here

2 Likes

^ This :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

When you have trouble AF in both eyes, you can either flap your hand between your eyes left and right quickly and see if the focusing picks up the pace… or, if one eye is being particularly stubborn, cover the other lens partially so you have a zone specific for the eye having trouble to see and train. If both eyes pick up the pace you can remove the strip.

A small strip of paper should be enough, you want to just reserve a small area for the struggling eye, while still having plenty of space where both can work at the same time.

I used these tricks to help my weaker eye in equalizing when I could feel only the dominant doing all the work. Now I no longer need to do so.

1 Like

I remember trying that too but it gave me definetly headaches. I think all one-eye things will cause headaches. Just use the right lenses and dont care about what eye focuses. They probably both focus but it is changing all the time and we dont notice, but we notice a more clear vision if both focus. I usually keep blinking until both eyes focus and then I stop blinking for a while so the stimulation can be more effective. Every blinking makes eyes wet and vision again more blur, so you try to prevent that disturbing blur. Light blinking is also a good option.

As @NottNott said, slow your roll! You posted to every format in a highly demanding way, that is not how this community works. Since you are 13 years old you need to get a parent or gaurdian involved here to help you make decisions.

This is a question for your opto

There are many resources available intended to make the method clear, please avail yourself of them with the help of your parent or gaurdian. Best wishes.

5 Likes

We can absolutely not knowingly advise minors.

Imagine the fury of parents when their kid tries some Internet thing, gets advice from random adults, then gets run over by a bus because they put on some glasses they couldn’t see it. It’s already risky enough telling any kind of people that maybe they could make their own decisions and accept responsibility. :face_with_hand_over_mouth::wink:

Need to add something to the forum signup for an 18+ thing.

6 Likes

The eye doctors should be forced to say to the parents “The minus lenses will cause higher myopia. Your child needs to do reduced lens method.”
But they only tell “Myopia will increase, because you are growing.”
I will never forget that stupid day.

3 Likes

User has assured me that his parents are involved in the process.

2 Likes

I think children are too young to grasp these concepts properly, and even if parents are involved they can’t ‘see’ what the child is seeing so no chance they can help with diopters etc. Took me long enough myself to figure it all out and it’s still a learning curve.
Unless the adult has done EM successfully themselves!

1 Like

I’m sure. Still too big of a risk to be advising minors. If they expressed that they are, we really need to not do that. I have a three page comment from the lawyer in all the ways we will not exist on the Internet at all if that becomes an issue.

Imagine if you take your kid to the optometrist, optometrist find some, whatever issue, and then you find out that random strangers on the Internet have been telling your child to mess around with their eyes.

It’s a great way to really piss people off. :confused:

(I still need to figure out how to add some 18+ disclaimers.)

2 Likes

Yes, Jake is right. The solution to this are interested parents.

Sadly my parents still do not believe in all that, when I tell them about it.
They will, when I reach 20/20 but this will take 5-10 years.
Hopefully endmyopia hits the mainstream as soon as possible.

18+ disclaimer added. Along with the usual CYA of educational purposes and not medical advice. Thanks to @NottNott who somehow knows how forums work.

1 Like

No, no, no. I’d make an age limit of 16. This is how our neighbor countries limit the access to pharmaceutical resources; and on this forum is even no any of such.

16+'s are generally capable to take care what’s going on with their health, including eyes. After all, do you really think EM derives more responsibility than consent, drinking a beer/wine, driving a two-wheel motor vehicle, or a car (let with a supervisor)? :open_mouth: I found EM at 16, I was at a very pityful situation and in 2 years I could have been possibly gone to an uncommon myopia range (10+ diopers) with serious difficulties to find affordable and good-vision lenses.

Also, that’s still the age of revolution and these also could possibly involve their parents to EM.

So, as an 18 and above, I seriously vote down. :-1:

EDIT:Oops, I went too late :frowning:

2 Likes

I hear you 100%. But the problem isn’t 100% on the internet person either, note I did strong encourage parental involvement here. But there is a large responsibility element to lay at the feet of parents who allow their children unrestricted, unsupervised internet access. There is far worse they can and will come across than EM. The disclaimers are a good idea especially with the CYA stuff but ultimately the internet is not a child friendly place, and while I fully understand your concerns as a parent myself, I also know the activities “children” tend to engage in and I have to agree with @miffiffi’s points:

The fact is; this kid found us instead of the pee drinkers and morning saliva types, that is actually a win in my book. If we bar them from EM they aren’t going to stop looking, they are just going to seek answers elsewhere and then real harm can be done. Or else they are going to lie and we will have minors flying under the radar that we don’t know about. If I were the type to allow my children to troll the internet, they could do much worse than EM…
Recently my friend’s daughter procured a self piercing kit and pierced her own nose, my friend had no idea till after it was done. Just saying caution on our part is no substitute for diligence on the part of parents.
So where is the line? Are we not allowed to tell a child that full correction for close up is not advisable? Or does that constitute danger zone for us? I don’t think I “advised” this kid in an objectionable way, but where is the line that doesn’t cause problems for you @jakey? I certainly don’t wish to do that. Does is have to end with “you’re 13 I can’t talk with you” or can we say “share this article with your parents”?

1 Like

They can look and read all they like. We are not advising them, as far as somebody coming here saying “I’m 13 what diopters should I wear”, and us giving that child (who is the responsibility of a legal guardian for a reason), specific advice - big difference.

You really don’t want to do that, it’ll very quickly get us in hot waters if parents disagree with our notions and speak up about us telling their kids things that their optometrist disagrees with. I’m not taking that responsibility and since I’m responsible for these destinations, we can’t do it here.

For sure. And I do that often. It’s the legal guardian’s task and responsibility to decide what the child can and should do in those cases.

2 Likes