Presbyopia improves myopia?

Someone I know who is myopic started to need less minus in her prescription since she started to develop presbyopia. Two optometrists explained to her that the more plus she will need, her minus needs will reduce. We’ll this only proves how these optometrists don’t really know anything else but writing prescriptions.
The plus she needs isn’t because her eyeball is shortening but because her lens is more riggid. Therefore the explanation for the reduced minus prescription is her being reading without minus glasses which reduces her Cilliary spasm and for some extant maybe even, gives her the stimulus to shorten her eyeballs. That’s it

1 Like

I think there are a lot of reasons why this happens.

One, probably the main one, is just that people at that same age tend to decrease in myopia/increase in hyperopia. Probably due to tissues shrinking naturally. It really is that simple. It’s been shown to be true in the population as a whole, on average. Ever wonder why very few older people have high myopia versus the rest of the population? That’s one reason. It just decreases more readily at a certain age.

Of course, there are probably other reasons, too, like you said: relief of closeup strain from reading glasses, etc.

Also, maybe previously locked accommodation no longer working as well.

The more I think about it the more I get the idea that the belief must come from the pre-screen era, from the 80s and is something like this:
Phases:

1. school years mean lots of close up time (not much emphasis on good lights yet) => can cause myopia (- lenses);
  2. mid-life: less close up time in pre-screen age (only screen is TV, watched from relatively good distance)
  3. aging eyes mean hardening and thickening of lenses => cause presbyopia (+ lenses)
    Options:
    If someone doesn’t have myopia in school, a) may need reading glasses when retired
    If someone has myopia in school, b) may age back to 20/20 by the time of retirement (plus & minus = 0) or c) alternatively end up with split eyes (bifocals or multifocals)

I guess optos learning this in the 80s just have not updated the story to post-screen age.

Yeah, but the thing is, it does still happen to a lot of people. Optometrists expect people to move toward plus as they get older, generally. Maybe less people, now that more are using screens that stress the close vision as they get older, but it’s still a real thing that happens.

Yeah, that’s a more dramatic case, but not unheard of. I mean, 10 years…that’s 0.35 D per year. Well within the visual change that can occur in someone that age. Most likely, the near vision lens power was consistently just the right amount of stimulus for myopia reduction in his case. He is still nearsighted, though.

And so, they sometimes over-plus and over-minus these people simultaneously as a result of not realizing that the myopia has reduced. That is a bad situation to be in.