Program to make graphs/charts? - ODS Template!

I’ve seen tons of charts and graphics around the blog (like this one here), how are they made though? I’d really want to make one with my measurements and stuff.

Anyone knows what program can create such graphs? Thanks!

EDIT:

2 Likes

I’m using OpenOffice http://www.openoffice.org/ as a spreadsheet and it has graph options like Excel.

1 Like

I used Microsoft excel and my chart looks just like the one you quoted.
Pretty easy. Create the rows/ columns with the numbers to chart and then follow the wizard.

1 Like

I use Libreoffice Calc’s linear curve matching. It’s not just a graph but also finds the mathematically closest line between a set of numbers i.e. your improvement average at any given date and over the whole month. I didn’t find Libreoffice very user friendly. It would be a lot easier to use if I could post the Libreoffice ods file that produced the pdf below. A user could then just replace my spreadsheet data with their own and get immediate, relatively hassle-free results. If you would like that let me know and we’ll ping an admin to let us know how to proceed.

Here’s a sample result (click on the link to get the full width):

centimeter_chart_libre_calc_2019_04.pdf (37.8 KB)

1 Like

You can just use Google Sheets for that. There’s some graphic functions there and it’s easy to learn, just google it and you’ll know what I mean!
:grinning:

The bonus part of it is that it’s all online and mobile-accessible.

2 Likes

My plots, like the one you can see in my latest update, are created with a custom program I am developing.

If you are interested, you can help with testing it soon. I’ll start a thread as soon as the first version is ready for download. There isn’t much in terms of features yet, but if more people start using it, I could try to improve it over time.

3 Likes

Thank you all for the replies. I think I will try all three OpenOffice, Excel and Google Sheets to see which one I like the most.

@Varakari Oh how interesting! I think there should be a mobile app or something dedicated specifically to eyesight improvement, with measure, record, and graph options at any time and on the go. That would be a dream come true xD

I have one called Peek Acuity but it’s really cumbersome as you need another person to help you with the test and it doesn’t really get precise results imo…

Right now, I’m only focusing on Windows, since that offers the best tools to make quality logs for now. But if things work out and there’s interest, maybe one day, adding mobile or web could be an option.

Though I’m skeptical about doing focus reach measurements on the go with a smartphone. The conditions vary so much that the results would be very noisy compared to a PC screen test. It’s important to catch changes early, to learn what works to improve. Even with careful measuring, there’s easily a lag of weeks between making a change and the time when you’re reasonably certain that it had a lasting effect. So I think precision is key.

Smartphones can be cool for a spontaneous acuity test. The Android Snellen Chart can give you randomized Snellen or Landoldt C tests. But it also needs an extra person to perform the test.

I would advise against Google Sheets. I used it for a while both on desktop and iPad. The graph options are limited and as the sheet grows in data it crashed a lot - out of memory. On mobile the app just ended without warning and at times work was lost.
In addition Google have a habit of just ending support for it’s products. Many products withdrawn even when best product in it’s market(!) including Google Reader, Google Talk, Google Sites, Google Cloud, Google Questions and many more https://killedbygoogle.com/

1 Like

Hmm I see…

What about an empty sheet layout as a free public resource? That would be a great addition to the blog’s tools, no?

@Johnn , could you please post your template? Or however you may want to proceed with it. Yours looks really nice and complete (also congrats on the upward lines), maybe just a couple formatting things in the table to make it easier to understand, but I quite like it! :smiley:

Another Option: LibreOffice. Free and open source. Because it´s a fork of OpenOffice you can do the same stuff mentioned by @Johnn

OK I will see about how to post a template on the blog. The LibreOffice Calc file type is ods and the blog takes only a handful of graphics files, not ods. I just sent email to @Jakey asking how to get around that.

I believe our template should be just my sample data as I displayed above that produces a known-good, functioning Chart. A blank template will not show any graph and therefore would be very confusing or unreadable to anyone working with it the first time.

Thanks @MaK for reminding me that I meant to say LibreOffice in my posts above – NOT OpenOffice. I use LibreOffice and corrected my mentions above to reflect that.

Hi I am happy to test it. Wich coding language do you use to make it?

1 Like

Cool!

Languages used: C# and WPF’s XAML for the frontend, F# for the backend, and XML for the log format, which is specified via an XSD schema file.

1 Like

I just granted permission on ods files being uploadable to this forum. Give it a wirl if you like :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK thanks Laurens. Yesterday I sent a copy of the ods and pdf to RodMD for him to do a first test (“does this file open”). Once confirmed that it does open I will post to the blog, probably to this thread, to solicit test opening by other readers, then see about posting to the tools thread or wherever the admins want it. Also I wrote a simple Help/Explanation for it. I will format and post that with the ods also.

2 Likes

Thank you Johnn,

I can confirm that the template opens fine in Open Office, Libre Office and Excel. The how-to explanation guide is really helpful, I give the baton back to you for further improvements. :+1:

Thanks to Laurens too for allowing ods files to be uploaded.

Q: What is the purpose of this chart?
A: To identify whether your CM measurements are going up or down over one month’s time.

Q: Where is further explanation of the chart?
A: At the bottom of the thread in a Johnn post

Let’s confirm the *.ods upload works:

centimeter_chart_libre_calc_2019_04.ods (62.0 KB)

That seems OK.

Now…calling any and all LibreOffice users!

Please download and try opening the above one-page LibreOffice Calc (.ods) file.
When you open the ods file you should see what the pdf shows:
Spreadsheet, chart, legend.
Updating the spreadsheet values should automatically update the graph.
Please post your success or failure and your LibreOffice version.
Mine is Version: 4.2.0.4
If failure, also please post the description (file just didn’t open, truncated part of the display, didn’t update graphs etc.).

Key to the fields and abbreviations:

Spreadsheet:
R = right
L = left
B = both
am = A.M
pm = P.M
leftmost column = days of the month: 1…30
The rest of the spreadsheet (6 columns) contains the indicated CMs

Chart:
The legend at the bottom of the chart shows the color keys
There are two types: inputs and outputs and they read horizontally L to R in the legend
Inputs: Ram Rpm Lam Lpm Bam Bpm
Outputs: the (generated) line that passes most closely by the set of associated CM points for the month
Outputs example: the upper left of the legend begins “Ram Linear(Ram)” both in blue
Ram is daily right eye am msmts
Linear(Ram) is the derived “average” every day for the month.
To revise the Chart headings, grid, legend, graphic features etc. you generally have to be in “chart mode”. You get there by clicking either once or twice on the chart background. If you made the *.ods file read-only to prevent clobbering it then this will not work. You will have to close the file and make yourself a writeable version.

I hope the file works first time for you – let me know.

4 Likes

@Johnn Here it is opened in OpenOffice. I have re-added title and linear trends.

2 Likes