Reannon's Journey

I have hesitated to make one of these since my story is fairly well documented on my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHkyr8O-4jeRM2cvAOQKbFw?). But here are the highlights anyways: -4.75 w/ -.5 cyl in both eyes for apx 18 years. currently down to -2.75 without cyl.
If you haven’t already visited my channel and you would like to hear my story in detail please feel free, subscriptions and likes are appreciated. I have even grouped my progress updates on a playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlbTizlgxwwxsrw0n0skzFJSe8BlZ3PcS
Ignore the first 6 seconds of my most recent video, that was supposed to be trimmed :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17 Likes

Glad you decided to put it in print. I had forgotten from where you started. 2 diopters is great gains!

2 Likes

Thanks, and don’t forget ditched the cylinder too :grin:
Still getting some blur challenge and ghosting in the -2.75 but I’m getting close :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ditching cylinder should be a holiday on anyone’s EM journey.

5 Likes

I have 0.5 cyl too. is it ok to ditch that 0.5 cyl at once?
did you feel any change?

Yes, it is ok to drop the .5 all at once (for most people). And yes, I felt a difference when I got rid of the cylinder, it felt good, but the challenge was increased. When you choose to drop it, don’t touch anything else. Square trade out for no cylinder in the same spherical strength. And understand that this reduction (because it is the equivalent of a .25 reduction) Will probably take longer than normal sphere reductions. Maybe not, everyone is different, but typically the visual cortex does adjust a little slower to this change.

6 Likes

Well. coming into my third week with my differential reduction… and the double vision is back again :confused: I know it is a good sign blur-dv-clear but I honestly could stand the blur stage to last a bit longer, it is just never long enough till DV sets back in… still an occasional bit of ghosting on my Normz too, though the worst of it is mostly only following a few days in a row of overcast weather… which has been the case these past few days so come back sun PLZ

4 Likes

That’s stinks. I’ve never had DV with diffs. I have clear vision out so far, then it’s all blur.

Good luck. Hope you get some relief soon.

1 Like

The whole process makes me think of playing Mario. You get to the little toadie boss at the end of the castle and jump on his head enough times to beat him, then instead of being defeated the little brat goes spinning off to the next level for a rematch…

4 Likes

That is interesting, my progression is essentially the same on both levels, introduce reduction, new blur, blur edge becomes DV over time and then the edge starts creeping out till clear with normz or far enough out with diffs I need to reduce or the 100cm I use my computer at needs to be increased…

1 Like

Maybe where my diffs work at 60cm not 100cm. I don’t go through any of the steps like I do with norms. Very different indeed.

I was using my computer at about 3 feet for 5 years or so before EM, was disinclined to change that when I started EM, besides that my stronger diffs work exceptionally well for me in most daily activities. If I try to cook and stuff with my normz I can feel the ciliary lock up. So I wear diffs much of the time, since their stronger I don’t have to worry about blur adaptaion. I can watch TV in them at 15 feet away and read the captions but they are too messy and doubled to resolve so I do switch to Normz to avoid undue strain for distances 10 feet or more.

1 Like

Probably last video for a bit but finally committed to dragging out all the glasses and gettin it done… https://youtu.be/PEKf0-x6vI8
I am cautiously hopeful that I will get to reduce my normz more or less on schedule in spite of the ever shortening days, since they are getting comfortable even night driving, but the next few weeks will tell, I am going to wait it out proper going in to winter…

1 Like

5 weeks in with my diffs and ghosting is improving, getting images to fuse more readily and for longer. Also theoretically only half a centimeter off from smashing -2.75 normz at 20/20, given that it is winter not sure how long that last bit is going to take, but almost there anyways :grinning:

3 Likes

When you get a break in the weather in November and run, not walk at the chance to get out on the water. :grin:

13 Likes

beatiful pics! Jealous!

1 Like

Winter plateau has me frustrated most days. Then I get a clear (clearish) flash during resets and get encouraged… but still not progressing since Sept. I thought I had gained a 1/2 cm, but not usually seeing that either now. So over all, stagnate, and sitting at 20/25 in most light scenarios with -2.75. Been toying with going up again for a week or two to reset my cortex but have decided today to make that plan B. Since beginning this journey I find my eyes more prone to respond to greater challenge and more often than not to see just a little blur as good enough: almost like they figure “why bother?” So I am going to try my next reduction out and see if the new stimulus will shake me out of the rut. So today begins my trial run and by the end of the month/year I will revisit and take a good hard look at if it is working or if back up is the way to go. -2.5 give me a fairly solid 20/32 to 20/40 depending on light so maybe (hopefully) this is what I need. Still getting out as often as possible and Dec even cutting me some breaks with the weather.

13 Likes

I’ve been stagnant at 20/25 with -2.25 for far too long. I understand your struggle.

Great pic, even with the added color! A necessity this time of year.

1 Like

HaHa yeah I don’t need to be mistaken for a deer, having a bad enough year without adding that to the list…
I’ll update in a few weeks which way it goes, so far my eyes do seem to appreciate the change, so hopeful :smiley:

1 Like

I hear ya. Any chance to get outside, especially with sunshine I’m like YAYYYYYYYY

1 Like