Reannon's Journey

Here’s my variation:
I agree with the progression @Alexbreedon1111 described, but there were a few times when I decided to delay the reduction, to make sure the clarity was real, and then DV came back again and only got resolved when I reduced. This may explain @Jenn’s experience…

One of the reasons why I introduced alternating corrections. Quoting from another post:
My example: first I used the stronger / previous / current corrections on most days until I got to around 20/20 → 20/30, then I introduced the next norms 1 or 2 days a week => challenging my eyes on some days and letting them enjoy clarity with less effort on the other days (that can really boost the confidence of the ‘weaker’ eye, nudging it in the right direction). Then I gradually increased the number of days wearing the lower prescription until reaching 7 days a week with them. Then I got that stabilized and then I started introducing the next lower pair with the same alternating method.

4 Likes

Pretty sure my DV was resolved by getting blur again and neither eye sought clarity but had to focus on blur. My slight astigmatism also caused some of that DV and the left eye always does what the right does. Plus it clears things up slower. But I am a bit stuck in that dioptor on a bit of a roller coaster so good days bad days. Still better at 1.50 than 3

2 Likes

Full disclosure I tried it this way to, but it seems that i just end up paying interest when the DV returns.

Luckily it has never come back for me as of yrt anyways.

1 Like

Celebrating the victories and keeping things in perspective, in my new video: Perspective is paramount - YouTube

2 Likes

This is super interesting thanks Bianca.

I’ve been following alot of your posts quite closely and they always have some very interesting stuff in them.

So maybe we’re back to the great “when to reduce?” question.
I know that you have a few tactics similar to the one you outline above.
For example I was inspired by some other post you did, can’t rememeber exactly. I went back up 0.25 for a week to give my eyes some clarity that they needed. This seemed to help when I went back down 0.25.

Lots of anecdotes of people having 2x Norms, or easing in new pairs of norms like yourself.

I know that Jakes hesitates on switching focal planes regularly.
What are your thoughts? Have you tried both waiting it out and switching it up? Or are you one of those people that seems to be fine with regular focal plane changes?

This is my general path as well. Though I always cycle between DV and clarity for what seems like months before I settle on clarity and then finally reduce. This is actual where I spend most of my time.

I was making good progress earlier in the winter when we had cold clear days. Now I can’t recall the last sunny day here and I feel all progress is happening very slowly. Dark winter days are challenging.

Hang in there Reannon. Sunny days should be there soon.

2 Likes

Ugh same!

Yep :frowning:

Thanks! You too. Looking forward to them sunny days and the warm weather. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right now I have decent clarity much of the day. By late evening it’s mostly gone and everything past a certain distance is DV again. Then for some reason it will clear up again at 10-12pm some nights to daytime levels.

Do you experience anything similar?

1 Like

To some extent I guess. I get a lot of DV all the time at the moment, but there are times in the evening I will have more clarity than expected in artificial light. This most often occurs if I got a good amount of good natural light that day, but sometimes it just occurs without traceable cause.

1 Like

chatbot boss :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

That was Jake! I laughed too when I saw it :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Im currently trying out a daytime set of normalised and a nighttime set of normalised. Going to see if this reduces my DV. I’m the same as you here. During the day no DV, at night really bad.

2 Likes

Yeah, kinda the tack I am taking too. I wore my full correction for two evenings this week about an hour each time and my eyes seem to have responded well . I’m going with the theory that after so long in plateau my visual cortex needs that clarity reference. i am thinking if I do this a few nights a week, it might help me finally kick this DV. Too soon to be sure, but here’s hoping.

2 Likes

I’ve resisted the temptation to go up . 25 just to read subtitles at night. I have moved closer a few times.

Some days I can AF enough to clear things at night. Some days it happens with no input from me. Other days it’s hopeless.

The further I progress in this correction the better my evening vision gets. In a month or so I should be mostly DV free with random periods of bad vision.

Hope you bust through this plateau soon Reannon. I have no idea at this point what my full correction is by opto standards. Or are you talking about previous norms?

1 Like

What’s interesting is that I never thought I was doing things differently from other EM students :joy:
But thinking about it now, maybe how I interpreted the EM recommendations was different from the majority?
@jakey is responsible for what he said in the course not for what I understood. I fully believed I was following his advices :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The usual way seems to be deciding on the correction and sticking with those corrections whatever the clarity is with them - maybe 20/20 on a sunny day outdoors and 20/40 on another day or in the evening indoors. So you fix the glasses and that’s what you mean by not switching focal planes regularly.
vs.
What I did was to always wear the corrections that gave me the same clarity. So always correcting vision to 20/20 or 20/25. So maybe this was -1.00D during daytime but -1.50D when going out with friends. The 20/20 to 20/25 clarity was the fix part that I didn’t change, and to achieve this I kept changing the corrections (with moderate! rotation though…)
You can say it is different. You can say the first method requires more from the brain to process different blur levels in images, and the second method requires less as the clarity of the image is always the same. Saving my brain for other tasks or from too much frustration :rofl: I never looked at it this way.

How I interpreted the “focal plane changes not recommended” was that you should not wear -1.00D to give you 20/20 and then -1.25 to give you 20/30 or -1.50 to give 20/40 or 20/50 within the same day or week. At least one part (glasses or the clarity) needs to be fixed otherwise you are parallel expecting different efforts from the eyes and different effort from the brain to process the 2 images.

5 Likes

Full correction by my standard of 20/20 in reasonable artificial lighting. Opto standard of 20/15 in a poorly lit or dark room makes my head want to split open.

I have never even seen the courses, but I have certainly misinterpreted a time or two as well, to realize later, whoops I had that wrong. It happens. As long as you didn’t have adverse effects from it, no harm done right?

2 Likes

haha, very interesting.

Yes, cool that you’ve taken this interpretation, are running with it and it works.
I’m trying a nighttime set of norms atm in the same vein as what you’ve outlined above.
Lets see how it goes.

1 Like

Hi Reannon - can you please explain more the symptoms you have with double vision? I have had it for 4 months. It is not noticeable at all during th day but in the evening or looking at anything with white words and dark background. I get side shadows and shadows above and below works. Driving at night brake lights are glowing above and below as well as ghosting all around street signs. Is this similar to your experiences? What are tips to resolve? TIA

Yeah this sounds about right. Though you should make an effort to determine in you are dealing with the DV we are discussing of if it is astigmatism causing yours (if the ghosting always appears on the same angle it is probably astigmatism). DV can really hang in there for a while, which slows you down, but should be fully resolved before reducing again. The only resolution method I am aware of is the fixed gaze to resolve repeated over time, till the visual cortex sorts it out.