Reducing astigmatism strategies for how to make actual progress?

I’m trying my first real cylinder reduction. I had a failed attempt earlier, so I’m familiar with the directional blur, but what do you do when it won’t budge? I thought I was clearing things decently, and then noticed a stubborn line of blur on every single far away straight edge that I looked at that wasn’t changing or moving. What facilitates progress best for a cylinder reduction? Is it just the same stuff as with spherical? What if my eyes flat out don’t want to budge?

You know what, I think I need to wait for better lighting outside - I just realized that’s what changed this frustrated sore eyes feeling with my spherical reduction into an “I can feel it working” thing instead. Any other tips or advice?

1 Like

It’s very non-linear. With declining daylight, you could go three or four months feeling like nothing g is happening and then…BAM! It feels like you’re seeing better every day for a while.

3 Likes

Same here… :wink:
I think I’ve reduced too quickly last time. So driving at night is showing me astigmatic blur. But during the day, I’m fine. So I try to carry my -0,25 glasses along with me for this (I’m wearing contacts as normalized). So far, I only managed the trying part and never thought of them :rofl:

Make sure to read the astigmatism section of the blog - all of it. And use the search function for cylinder, reducing prescription complexity, astigmatism.

Cyl reduction can be way slowert than sph reduction. According to my opto, there is zero reduction in a year. But I say there is, even if it’s only 0,25 - still progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same here, got too excited, reduced astigmatism too quickly, very slow progress compared to my previous rate of 0.25D per month.

But still, making progress…
Jake recommends at least 2 spherical reductions between each astigmatism reduction…

A test lens kit can help here to play with astigmatism and figure out what is comfortable.

Also, Measure your cm for both astigmatism and spherical. This helps me a lot - there is a lot of variance in astigmatism during the day, and eye strain also seems to make it worse for me… so make sure you are taking extra breaks…

1 Like

Thankyou for the encouragment and comments! I have a few more questions.

First question, is it even possible for improvement if my eyes can’t active focus completely, except on rare ocassions that I’m outside when it’s extremely light out? (And then even then, I have to close my right eye for my left to active focus?)

Second question, I naively tried to reduce .5 in my left and .25 in my right (I partly didn’t beleive the eye doc based on previous prescriptions - oops), didn’t make any progress and could barely active focus even in summer, went back to my previous glasses with the shperical reduction and made sure that was complete, then tried these again. I actually ordered glasses that are just .25 reduced in both eyes, but the frames don’t work for me. Is it possible to reduce astigmatism with your nondominant, slow improvement eye having more work to do? It seems like it increases the tendency of my right eye to take over. Should I spend more money trying for .25 in each eye again (I’d rather just switch to a spherical reduction if I’m buying more frames)?

Third question, can I change my mind and try to reduce spherical instead (it would be my second and last spherical reduction in both eyes, but I’ll have a lot of equalizing to do in the future) or do I need to stick with this if I’ve started? Will it mess with my eyes a ton to go back? I’m kind of thinking I juat want to see progress and not feel stuck, and maybe I’ll have more momentum later for tackling astigmatism.

In this situation, what course of action would bring about the fastest progress?

This is asking us for diopter specifics, you do know that this is not allowed. I won’t lock this post because of the other questions you asked, but this one is a no go.

Please allow me to clarify - I’m wondering if its possible to reduce one eye more than the other with astigmatism and have any success, since I made a mistake with the glasses I have now.

Vision improvement process is trial and error. You can change your approach when one plan of action proves unsuccessful. Much has been previously posted on improving active focus and reducing astigmatism that may shed light on what others have done but everyone is individual with varying degrees of success.

1 Like

Hi there, I understood from the videos and blog that first you reduce spherical, then get rid of cylinder. And only then once you have done a few reductions and no astigmatism is left, then you start equalizing. Have a nice weekend!

2 Likes