Reducing normalised

Hi there. I’m just looking for some advice about when to reduce my normalised. I’m only on my first pair which I’ve been wearing for 3 months now and I was hoping to reduce around the end of September.
I can see 20/20 in good light on my Snellen with a tiny bit of ghosting. I am finally getting the hang of making AF a habit when I’m outside and I can read car number plates now at around 25 metres, albeit the letters kind of swim around a bit for a few seconds until they seem to settle and I can read them properly. I feel like I can see really well outside. My night vision however is not as good and I can only get 20/50 on my chart in dim light. So, how far should I be seeing outside crystal clear before reducing? I don’t want to reduce too fast and have to go back up again but I want to progress a bit before the dark nights arrive!

1 Like

You should ride the current normz out till the ghosting is gone. Night vision should improve in time as well. Reducing too soon tend to come back 'round to haunt you, so take it from one of many who knows first hand this is a great time to be patient and wait.

1 Like

You should have some “check text” and monitor its clarity over the time. I think snellen is not so easy, more letters would be better. The time of clearing the blur will be very short when you have improved.

1 Like

I just failed at this. Check my blogpost. Its very important to do your CM measurements and put your Snellen chart in a well lit room with no natural light. Only have this one setup where you do your readings. You should be able to read 20/20 indoors before you reduce. If you take readings in different conditions you’ll trick yourself into thinking your improving faster than you actually are and slow your progress.

2 Likes

The reason why everyone is advising you to hang on to the current glasses a little longer is that if you carry over residual ghosting or other issues to the next glasses and then you do it again and again, at one point that will all add up to a lot of issues. So I’m going to say the same.
But I won’t say night vision has to improve to clear 20/20. However, it would be ideal to reduce it under / well under 20/50. Also, I’d put focus on working away that initial “swimming around” on the number plates.
So I’ll say a good reference point to reach before reducing is if you can confidently read number plates without the “swimming” at 6-7 cars’ distance on a bright sunny day and 5 cars (= about 20m) in gloomy daylight. Doesn’t have to be super crystal clear at the max distances I mentioned, but should be very clear at two-third of the max distance. So on a bright day at 4-5 cars’ distance the number plate should be nice and clear immediately. And at the max distance you should be confident about differentiating the P and F, the C and G, the O or 0 and D, the K and X, the M and W, etc without any waiting or focusing time. Without blurring back after 5-10 seconds or after the first blink.
Hope that helps.

3 Likes

This is really helpful, thanks :blush:

1 Like

Hello Mam i want to ask you some questions.

Question 1
How people on Endmyopia see double vision on Snellen chart because you can’t see double on Snellen chart because there is no contrast there. what I noticed about my double vision I only see double on my computer with white text on black background.

Question 2
What i have learnt so far is that there are two kind of active focus firstly you have to clear the ciliary spasm and then you have to work on the retina part of the eye. When you do active focus at a distance a small part of the retina come forward after that you have to check on snellen if you are seeing the 20/20 line then you have to resolve the double image. Am i correct i am asking you because only experienced members of the community can help you if you have doubts or you understood the concepts fully.
And if i am wrong please help me.
Thank you.
@BiancaK

You can have double vision with anything. Have you ever crossed your eyes or got properly tipsy? Then you know that it is possible.

Apologies but I avoid getting bogged down in such details as it is bound to result in analysis paralysis. When it comes to EM I’m more a (gentle!) doer than an overthinker. Even the best polished theories about eyesight are nothing without taking action.
With EM, you don’t “HAVE TO” do anything. There are various recommendations to follow and try.
OK, there is only 1 thing you HAVE TO do: listen to your eyes and brain.

1 Like

Could you tell me how much progress you have made so far in this journey?

2 Likes

It means you only have the ciliary spasm which you have released.
Am i correct

No.
I don’t agree that -2.00/-2.25 for almost 40 years is ciliary spasm.

1 Like

In how many months you drop down from -2.00/-2.25 to no glasses.

Everyone’s eyes are different, so don’t expect your eyes to behave the same as others’.
There is no other way but kicking your journey off and learn your lessons about your eyes.
There is a point where collecting more examples from others no longer increases the knowledge that you will need for your journey.

I wore left -2.25 right -2 (and -0.5D cyl) for over 20 years. It went up to -2.5 and -2.25 at one point but dropped back again.
I significantly increased outdoor time in 2018. Significantly means that I have completed a 3000 km walking challenge with the -2.25/-2 corrections.
I found @jakey and started my EM journey in mid-2019 and because of the good habits in the years before I was able to get to 20/20 with no corrections on sunny days within 3 months. The opto didn’t confirm this result at the time and I needed glasses for the evenings. But within 3 months I had a range of need for correction from zero to -1D which was very much dependent on the lights.
Kept the same habits for another 1.5 years and the vision further improved. With no corrections worn at all now and “no glasses needed” now also confirmed by the opto.

3 Likes

it means outdoor walk is very much beneficial.
I really love your answers. Your answers are to the point.

Thanks for your reply.

2 Likes