Resolving Double/misaligned vision

A guide that some of us Le Meowers came up with:

Resolving Double/misaligned vision:
Double or misaligned vision is something that occurs naturally when you are working on improving your vision. The simplified mechanism behind this is as follows:

Light coming into the eye is always clear. It gets refracted onto the retina and that’s where you receive a clear image. If you can’t get that incoming light refracted properly because of ciliary muscle spasm and/or elongation all that light isn’t lining up properly. Your visual cortex can’t make heads or tails out of this data and converts it into blur, because it doesn’t know what it should be, it’s an unsolvable puzzle.

Light hitting the eye consists of so many images that need proper alignment. That’s why you can see much better in good lighting, there’s more data/images to solve this puzzle.

A visual explanation about this is to be found here: Misaligned (double) vision visually explained.

With EM your visual cortex is thought that there’s another way to solve that puzzle instead of just converting it into blur. It’s slowly getting the hang of what it should be. Combine this with shortening and you get clear vision again.

If you are in the low myopic range (being at around -1.25 and below) this how-to is something you could utilise to teach your visual cortex how to properly align those images again. Some further background coming from the blog can be found here , here and here. Jake has a great video explaining this right here:

To get this to clear/line up you can try the following practice:

• Look at some text (easy clear-cut font) on a computer screen that gives you double vision and than keep staring at it until it lines up. This takes much longer than utilizing active focus. This is because the visual cortex needs to figure out what the image is suppose to be, Be patient and give the brain the time it needs to resolve the image it’s presented with.

Make sure that you go beyond your blur horizon a little (if possible). This will make it easier for other stuff later on to clear up. You can use this slide to practice with. Pick a fixed point on which you are concentrating and wait/keep staring at it to make the text to line up. This can take several minutes. so please be patient.

The above practice can also be used to clear up a little bit of astigmatism. To practice on improving astigmatism you can also use the slide and pick a line that has a little directional blur/double imagery. Stare at this line and blink in a relaxed fashion to make the line clear up. Try to hold onto the sharp image as long as possible and repeat the clearing if defocus happens.

Employ this practice to get that double/misaligned vision to clear, since active focus alone is usually not enough to resolve this.

Some useful tips which you might put to good use:

• Try to fuse the edge of buildings, power lines, trees, anything with contrast basically where you can recognize the misaligned image
  • Yawning while you are waiting for the fusion. It helps relaxing (I had a tendency to tense because I was impatient for the fusion to happen and that’s not the good way to do it). I often get a super clear flash after that.
  • Moving slightly your head up and down, or left and right (depends on where the ghost picture appears). I believe it helps the brain to recognize the real picture and to solve the DV faster.
81 Likes

Thank you so much for the tips! The yawning especially, makes sense. The only think that confuses me is the quote I picked. I thought Jake says to not go beyond blur horizon, on the contrary (I think it was in a video) because it will not help us and we should not confuse it with AF. We should just find the distance were we get misaligned/double vision and stare until it clears up, usually, as you said, after several minutes. I might be totally off-topic, so forgive my intrusion.

2 Likes

If you are in double vision, there isn’t really any blur left. You get a double/misaligned vision horizon. That is much more flexible, you can make out something and line it up at say, 70cm, or 90cm perhaps. That’s why you want to be in that area, to give your visual cortex a challenge. If you are on the edge it’s just too easy and it’ll be worked out too quickly.

Do know that we had this post checked by Jake and didn’t find anything worth correcting. So this guide has his blessing.

8 Likes

Thank you for the clarification, I found the video I was refering to, and I relistened it. Clearly, it was my mistake. Thank you for taking the time to answer!

2 Likes

Well, just a thought, but ponder on this maybe??? When you yawn, your eyes get watery for few seconds (mine does, does yours too???). Maybe you get clear flashes because of the moisture, when you yawn??
Just wondering… What do you feel? @CamillaMas @WxClimb @Laurens
Sorry if I am intruding here, but I am just trying to understand. Thank you.

2 Likes

I can second that, water will make the light refract differently and also have a positive effect.

It does not really matter, what matters is that your visual cortex can solve the puzzle and each time this happens it’s getting closer to normal vision and becoming more used to this lining up. Wether it’s tear fluid that helps or something else, it’s all the same as long as you can line it up.

7 Likes

I’ve found this really useful and have been using the slide attachment.

Relax, breathe, be patient…it works.

Brilliant.

4 Likes

From my own experience, this the most important things : it’s very important to try clearing DVwith these things because you easily know what to see and , if I remember correctly, Jake wrote somewhere in Endmyopia that we should resolve double vision at far distance and this is the case with these objects.

I’ve tried for a few weeks to resolve DV at close-up but I didn’t see any improvment. But As soon as I tried at far distance progress were a lot faster at a point that I can currently clear DV on more complex things.

So my “advice” would therefore be to :

• Clearing DV at far distance
  • Looking at straight lines at the begining and when you’re more “experienced”, you can add some difficulties
  • Squinting if your not certain what your eyes have to see (That’s why I think it’s very important to begin with things like these )
  • Waiting and blinking…
16 Likes

Here’s something that has worked really well for me: for background, I practice mindful meditation on and off, and I recently started using a technique where I meditate with my eyes open, blinking as needed. The reason being that in my practice, i’m trying to increase my mental focus more than relax, and closed eye meditation makes me tired, to where I fall asleep sometimes. And in the morning, I’m going for more of an aware focus. And keeping the eyes open keeps you aware and outward focused. Anyway, when I do this I start to get a tunnel vision effect, where only the thing I am looking at is clear, and everything else gets kind of milky as my mind slows and stops processing extraneous things.

For the DV technique: if I stare at the object long enough, and allow my mind to shut down like when I meditate, I start to get the tunnel vision. Right after the tunnel vision starts, the DV clears. My presumption is that the my visual cortex is no longer bogged down by processing all the peripheral information, and can throw all it’s energy on the DV.

17 Likes

What a great resource, thank you! I realize that much of what I thought was blur is really double vision. Time to go look at some license plates :blush:

4 Likes

I’m definitely at this step. I was really perplexed when I looked out the window with my differentials and I could even make out faintly a store name across the street, yet at the computer I can’t see anything fully clear either. I see the double ghosts of a clear word (number 2 of the picture in the “Double Vision visually explained” topic linked above).

That’s also why I believe I have trouble with cm measurements, I can’t really tell where actual blur starts with all the DV in the way! This was really helpful, Jake’s video too. I seem to have a hard time achieving it though, I still haven’t merged anything…

Couple questions: is this actually the same as astigmatism/astigmatic blur?? If not, what differentiates them? Also, reading Lacsap’s advice, I take that it is better to clean DV with normalized rather than in close-up with differentials then? Thank you!

2 Likes

It’s not the same type of blur/DV. To differentiate between the two you should look at that radial astigmatism dial that is to be found elsewhere in this forum. Looking at it you should get greater misalignment/blur at the axis where the cylinder correction is needed. Moving the dial closer should resolve the overall misalignment, but leave some unclarity on that axis once again.

Another way to differentiate between those two is looking through some glasses without cylinder, but with the appropriate spherical correction. There should be no unclarity due to DV, just unclarity related to astigmatism.

Resolving DV with normalized or differentials doesn’t really matter, both are proper stimuli for you eyes to adapt and move in the right direction.

You can use this practice to work on astigmatic misalignment though, it’s (again) proper stimulus for the eye to move back to the proper shape.

5 Likes

Ohh, so DV is actually related to spherical and not cylinder! Good to know. Will do, thank you for the response!

1 Like

I had a remarkable experience after watching this video. I looked at a word with my R eye, which gets double vision (ghost underneath a real word). I changed the font from Times new roman to Arial. I just kept watching it and suddenly, the darker bold letters above started to physically MOVE DOWN towards the 2nd word, and the 2nd (ghost) word got fainter and fainter! I couldn’t believe it! I blinked and tried it again with the same word and it happened again!

I’m still only a little more than a month in on EM and have like -4 / -6 in my eyes (plus uncorrected astig), so not low myope, but it still worked. Wondering how often to work with the (great!) chart in the link. And why it is called a slide?

This is a wonderful guide, thankyou!

9 Likes

So I have I have only been getting the double vision for about a week and only on small txt during active focus. My experience is that the ghost txt is almost always clearer than the actual txt. Is this normal?
Side note: yesterday I was able to realign a license plate and read it as a single image, felt like it took forever but it was probably 5-8 minute to resolve. Fighting the urge to hard blink away the double vision is probably the worst part. (Because that hard blink frequently totals the active focus :persevere: ) still new to this obviously, active focus only come to me readily on sunny days, seriously hard put in low light and artificial light. Looking forward to it coming easier in more settings…
Edit : maybe scratch that bit about the ghost image being clearer, after resolving the double vision and holding for that once this hasn’t happened again.

2 Likes

All of the tips unconciously done and proven… thanks a lot…

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

The video is not publicly available anymore. Is there any additional advice that is not explicitly mentioned in the post? Just by staring at text I can notice movement of the double vision but it rarely to never “clears” up completely. My take on it is to use a prescription that is high enough to keep DV at a very small but noticeable range, although blur wouldn’t happen even at lower prescriptions. And how long does the DV phase usually last for you (“blur > DV > clear image > reduction”), is it longer or shorter than the “blur” phase?

Thanks.

1 Like

Maybe on endmyopia wiki?

This video is not available - Anywhere else I could find it?