Retinal tears/holes with higher myopia and shortening the eyeballs

Hello-- This may be of interest to others and a good reason to keep working on reducing diopters/shortening your over-long eyeballs. A recent visit (finally!) to the optometrist revealed several “tears” in the retina of one eye. Optometrist explained it was from the thinning of the retinal tissue due to higher myopia, something we’ve read about here in Endmyopia. The tears have apparently healed over, and optometrist said that it is better to have them at the bottom of the retina as gravity will help them heal better than tears at the top. But, of course, no indication that there was anything I could do about this…

Am interested in your experiences with this, such as what happened to your tears as you progressed to lower diopters/shorter eyeball.

To place in this in perspective, I’ve worn glasses for 50 plus years so the retinal condition took some time to develop; my correction now is -6, -5.75, with astigmatism. I plan to double down on nutrients and head into myopia reduction, which I delayed until I got into see the optometrist. Full steam ahead! But am very interested in what you may have found in this realm.

Thanks for reading!

1 Like

Some retinal changes could be reversible; but to recreate lost photoreceptors with more serious retinal degeneration something out of natural order should happen.

Myopia-related fundus changes can be found starting from low myopia (also emmetropia):

Markiyan, thank you for this information. It seems to be that retinal tears from thinning/elongated eyeballs may heal over, but that part of the retinal tissue doesn’t recover completely. And if the eyeball becomes less elongated with myopic reduction, the retina doesn’t necessarily recover to a former state. It may be that the best to be expected is reducing the chance of future tears. I suspect nutrition plays a role, as well.

I plan to dive deeper into this topic in the science literature. Appreciate any comments or resources!!

1 Like