Rigid gas permeable lenses and active focus

Anyone here wearing rigid gas permeable (RGP) lenses, what is your experience with

• RGP lens itself: how fast you have got used to it? Is it comfortable and vision with it was extremely sharp and the sharpest possible as they claim, that even clock masters use them to do their work?
  • Do you have astigmatism? If yes, perhaps it goes automatically corrected with spherical RGP?
  • Has your myopia stabilized as they claim RGP lenses themself slow down myopia progression?
  • Did you find active focus even when using them?

Rigid gas permeable lenses slow down myopia progression at least in children:
https://www.myopiainstitute.com/types-of-myopia-control/gas-permeable-contact-lenses-and-myopia-control/

@Ursa For me it makes sense since I consider to try Ortho C myself to see whether it will free me from ciliary spasm. I am near -9 in my real spherical equivalent and having about 8 diopters of accommodative range. That’s incredibly small for my 17 years of age, yet alone 20 years of age. So I believe I might be at -7s or even at -6s with some persistent accommodative spasm due to eye’s altered biomechanics. Feeling my front side of eye heavy and tightness feeling with accommodation more than 1 D might be an evidence for this (as well as long recovery after even short periods of accommodation).

I’d like to seek at least one positive reply about RGPs as main corrective aid on this forum.

@kem I know you went too bad with this kind of lenses. Might you want to talk more about?

It’s dumb like wood. Many cyclopegias, zero difference. 0.5 D at most.
Even with 1% atropine, nothing at all has changed. 0.00, literally.

But if you suggest I can’t have spasm due to no difference from cycloplegia + I never wore full correction (this might be not true as accommodative loop due to near esophoria might be times stronger and equal by time with regular screen-staring using full correction, then I can’t get a thing I have so few amounts of accommodation.

I remember Yee saying lens is bulged at high myopia independent of the ciliary muscle.
The evidence of this is ciliary being thicker in myopes, as well as myopes difficulty to accommodate.
So Ortho C brought an improvement of 2-2.5 D at one high myope he treated.
But due to bad habits of former (I suspect) her vision almost returned to starting point after years.
John Yee stopped to answer me by email when he said he will not guide me in treatment since I have esophoria and too much astigmatism. And he usually does not treat high myopia.
So I can either make a fake email or dig into his book how to use Ortho C. If I will get normal treatment of strabismus (vision therapy or/and surgery).

“My prescription is -8.5 in my right eye and -8 in my left eye. After those few minutes of wearing these lenses, my vision now is -6.”

-8.25 glasses = -7.5 contacts
-6 glasses = -5.5 contacts

Her final reduced script was -4, but it was hugely reduced to 20/60 and basically it’s 1.25 D down.

Then, her eyesight improved by 2.25-2.5 D: 2 D instantly and 0.25 D every 3 months or so.

Ouch, -6 are contacts? Then by 1.75 at most (1.5 at speed and 0.25 after).

Accommodation range by age

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/33/Duane_(1922)_Fig_4_modified.svg

According to, I should have at least 9.5 D. I suspect I am average with 10-12 D.

My eyes do excyclotorsion when I use accommodation, so I guess there are definitely oblique muscles also involved. Maybe only in myopes, but emmetropes could use solely the ciliary muscle.

I get

Accommodation with convergence:
Upgaze -> excyclotorsion
Downgaze -> incyclotorsion

So I conclude oblique muscles act with accommodation and not vertical rectus muscles, as if the latter it should have been to be in- at up- and ex- at down-.

Don’t forget that images move in- = eyes move ex-.
Images move ex- = eyes move in-.
If you want to repeat the experiment.