Ryuuga's Journey, Things I've learned

Hey all, here to report my gainz.

Its been exactly 6 months since I started EM. First reading on the app was done the day before I went to the optometrist. I started at -5, -5 with astigmatism of -2.00 and -1.75.
Today (yet to be confirmed by optometrist) I am closer to low -3.00, -3.00 and no noticeable astigmatism.
6 months ago I couldn’t even read my phone without glasses. Today I am typing this 30cm from the screen without glasses.

Things I have learned along the way:

• Your eyesight is not a fixed number!!
    as you can see on the chart above, it is not a straight line progress. Some days you will feel like you cant see sh*t, some days you will feel like you have Supervision. This is part of the process, instead of a fixed number, it is more like a progress RANGE. It will always fluctuate, but you need to TRUST YOUR BODY to do its job. Which brings us to the next point:

• TRUST YOUR BODY
    Your body works in mysterious ways, no one really fully understands how it works or why it does, so don’t let your mind worry about it. Learning about EM and getting reduced diopter glasses is the most you can do to help your body(eyes) do its repairing. The rest you need to leave it to your body to heal. I can’t stress this enough, especially on days where you feel like you can’t see sh*t (and there will be those days, maybe even weeks) please just trust your body.

• Get Sunlight
    Jake and many people have mentioned this before, but here it is again. Generally on periods where there are less sunlight (cloudy days, rainy season) I see less and make little progress. But when the sun is shining bright, there is good improvement and my eyes feel better too. How it works is again mysterious and magical, no one understands the sun and how it affects your body, you can read all about it in science journals I’m sure, but that is not going to help your body repair itself faster, it just happens and its great. Speaking of light, I used to HATE sunlight and bright lights and love sitting in the dark (I think it has something to do with my high astigmatism that makes you hate lights), but since starting EM and as my eyes started improving, I have been loving light more and more.
    Note: Due to busy schedules and weather conditions I am not always able to get 2 hours or more sunlight daily as per recommended by others, On average I try to sit outside and stare into the distance (bare eyes) with my coffee every morning for about 20-30mins, shifting focus between close and far object every few minutes, be wary of peripherals etc. I also try to keep my room and workspace well lit, open windows to let as much sun in, occasionally staring outside for few minutes in between work breaks. Bringing us to the last point, (the one you guys only care about)

• My process
    Maybe Jake or someone else will call me blasphemous here, I don’t have Normalized glasses. Due to the recent pandemic I have very little reason to drive or go outside or need for clear distance vision. So I just got Differentials. I use them for work hours only, then take them off when doing stuff around the house.
    At home, I have stuck eye charts around the house, this has provided me a good constant reference point for my vision, 6 months ago I stood at the doorway and could not even make out the letters in the eye chart, Today, I can see the biggest letter its just a little blurry.
    Sticking eye charts around the house also gives me a place where i can stare into for a few moments if i feel like my ciliary muscles is cramping up.

TLDR: I used differentials only during work hours, keep room well lit, stare outside occasionally, stare at eye charts occasionally, eat well(sugar is bad for you), most importantly don’t let your mind worry about your body. Thank you for reading.

10 Likes

Wow! That’s about two diopters in 6 months. I’m in a very similar situation to you (spherical equivalent of around -5 diopters) so it’s really motivating to see someone else improve by so much in such a short time. Hopefully your optó confirms your gains.

Thanks for sharing!

This was also me! Not because of astigmatism but I just felt lights just gives me too much stimulation. But now I really look forward on my sunshine walks!

Thank you for your updates! They’re very encouraging.

3 Likes

Relatable! Now I’m a sunlight junkie. Unfortunately, in my office, everyone else hates the sunlight with a passion, so they close the blinds or leave them only half-open (and don’t even use artificial lights instead). I wish my desk was next to the window so I could veto against the blinds being pulled there :sob:

2 Likes

I don’t know why but I simply love reading posts reporting on this shift / change.
:sunny:

4 Likes

I might be missing something here, but how does focussing far work without any correction? It’s it more psychological/an attempt to try to get something out of the blur?

If you get up in the morning and immediately put your glasses on, you immediately cut off the peripheral vision.
Going without glasses (or with differentials for high myopes if that feels better or safer) for 20 minutes creates awareness about eye strain and clarity. It’s a checking-in point with yourself on how well you are doing actually.
And when you put your glasses on (after the 20 minutes or when the blur feels intolerable) you will feel how the glasses are “pushing your eyes back” (making images smaller) and how they give you clarity.
You’d miss it by just reaching for the glasses from the bed on autopilot.
Before EM, most people don’t even know what they can see without glasses.

It’s a bit like getting off of painkillers after a major operation. The pain may be debilitating in the first days so you numb it immediately before it becomes so strong that it’s too late to take painkillers. But later you will want to start experimenting with taking less or none and staying pain free or if that is not the case you work on awareness on how much medication you need exactly by starting the day without painkillers and seeing how long it stays pain free. How much the painkiller is still needed or not, and what the difference actually is.

1 Like

I do understand the purpose, I was more wanting clarification on what @ryuuga said about focussing on things far away. With -4 I can’t focus more than 25cm away ahaha! I suppose it’s focus in a concentration sense instead of a visual acuity sense.

I started from -2D and even with that I could not bring things into clarity at distance.
But I had my morning coffee most days watching a distant building opposite (at about 50meters and one behind that at 100m) Gradually I could see the windows, then the dividers in the windows, then the tiles on the roof, then the individual bricks of the wall, then I noticed that the scaffolding that seemed to be just dirty white actually had a company’s name printed on it, finally I could make out the letters and also see more details of the tiles and bricks, noticed the ventilation holes disguised as bricks, the curtains behind the windows, too, etc.
When I finished my coffee I walked back to the kitchen sink and I always checked the time on the digital clock of the oven and took note of the distance when I could read it and of the distance when all ghosts, DV and blur disappeared. Not strictly measuring, just vaguely like at about 2 steps, from the end of the kitchen counter, from the dining table, from the door, finally from the living room, too.
These were absolutely tiny improvements, not necessarily translating to improvement with cms or Snellen at the same time, but definitely telling me that my eyes were improving. I did the same with tea indoors and the bookshelf at about 3 meters as part of my evening winding down routine while listening to music.
If you are a glasswearer you can expect even more noticeable improvements by changing from the tunnel vision of glasses to uncorrected vision with the added benefits of peripheral vision.

1 Like

Hi @jamesdeluk
Pretty much almost exactly what Bianca has mentioned.
Yes, obviously at -4D or even -3D, you’re not going to be able to see very much details beyond your elbow, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t even try to look, Try looking at a big object, can you make out some outlines? maybe give some attention to the clouds, where does it end and the sky begin?
Maybe just by looking it tells your brain, “hey look here, theres something, can you make it clear? No?” blink a little and see if it clears up even a little blur?
Also, I am not staring at far objects in the way of staring at them incessantly for long periods. I am instead, shifting focus(attention) between different things.

Look at something big and then something small, look at something far, and then something close, always alternating between them. On top of that, as much as possible being wary of your peripherals.

A real good tip for everyone, I found that staring at clouds can help with being aware of your peripherals. Clouds and the sky is so huge that you can’t really pinpoint an exact spot to fix your tunnel vision onto, therefore I very naturally try to see the whole sky instead. (I had done this before as a kid but it feels like I had forgotten about cloud watching while too busy growing up)

Look around, enjoy the sun, and don’t forget to breathe.
Long story short, yes I am not focusing in the way a camera is focusing, its really more of a mental exercise. Hope that helped

1 Like

Hi! I just have to say thank you for your report and encouragement. I particularly like how you encourage the trust in sunlight and the body’s correction of itself… I like how you pull back from overthinking in this respect. There can be a tendency to obsess about details and your post was permissive for those of us who just want relax with the process… Great job with your results!
Carolyn

2 Likes