Self-introduction

Hi everybody,

I found EndMyopia around August 2020 when I was experiencing eye strain from too much screen time with work, meetings, and entertainment all moving online due to the COVID-19 pandemic. When I was searching the internet how others deal with this, I landed on an EndMyopia page on the use of differentials for closeup work, and I kept reading to learn more about the EndMyopia method.

I started wearing glasses around age 10, and my myopia got a bit worse every year until it stabilized in the -3 to -4 range in my 20s. It hasn’t changed much since then; I am in my late 40s now. My last prescription before starting EndMyopia was left -4 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 150 degrees, right -3.5 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 10 degrees.

In early September 2020, I started with differentials for close up, while using my usual glasses for distance. My first differentials were left -2.25 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 150 degrees, right -1.75 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 10 degrees. This gave me some blur challenge during closeup work, and seemed about right. Using differentials instead of my full correction solved my eye strain issues I was having due to heavy screen use during the pandemic.

In November 2020, I went to a optometrist (chain store in the local mall) and had my eyes measured using the autorefractor. This gave left -3.5 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 152 degrees, right -3.0 SPH -1.50 CYL @ 8 degrees. Increasing the cylinder value on my right eye didn’t seem to be a great idea to me, also because all previous prescriptions for the past 15 or so years that I could find had -0.75. I managed to convince the salesperson not to increase the cylinder value, and left the store with left -3.5 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 152 degrees, right -3.0 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 8 degrees. Subjectively with these glasses my left and right eye give similar clarity, so I think that keeping the same cylinder value was the right choice. Although I did not ask for undercorrected glasses, it turned out that these glasses actually are somewhat undercorrected. Outside in sunlight my vision is 20/20, inside in poorer light conditions I am measuring 20/50 for each eye separately, and around 20/30 using both eyes. So I consider these glasses my first normalized ones.

Since November, my distance vision has not improved much. This may be due to winter conditions and poorer habits when it’s cold outside, and I am hoping to start improving again now that the weather is getting better.

What motivated me to improve my vision? Well glasses suck in every possible way. They make me look bad, they make me see bad, they cost money, they break, they fog up when wearing a mask, they fall off at the most inopportune moment, they cause myopia, they need to be replaced when myopia gets worse, they can’t be used for swimming, they are obnoxious when exercising, they get lost, and they make me look bad! Contacts are a bit (just a bit) better but not good for your eyes for extended wear, and LASIK is out of the question because of its inherent risks. I have tried Bates’ method in the past (teenage years) but I don’t think it ever got me anywhere.

What motivated me to try EndMyopia in particular was the following:

• While I’m sure there is some genetic component to myopia, the explosion of myopia especially in East Asia over the past couple of decades for sure cannot be explained by genetics. Genetics does not change this much over such a short time. So there must be an environmental contribution that causes myopia.

• The centimeter measurements. When I first tried them, for each eye the diopter values I got matched exactly those of my prescription (factoring in the cylinder values by half). Perhaps more importantly, it allows me to check progress in an objective way. It’s too easy to fool myself if I had to rely on a subjective evaluation of vision progress; I’d probably end up living in the blur and tell myself it’s 20/20.

• Most importantly, reading and viewing the experiences of EndMyopia practitioners here on the forum and in the podcasts. Hearing from others about their progress convinced me that the EndMyopia method works at least for some people. If it works for them, then why wouldn’t it work for me too?

• Lastly, EndMyopia relies on changing habits, in particular reducing screen time. I believe Jake says in one of his videos that people who spend excessive amounts of time looking at screens don’t have a life (paraphrasing it crudely here, sorry). I tend to agree with this and i do think screens are addictive and can take precious time away from real life. Then if EndMyopia encourages me to spend more time outside, that is beneficial in itself, and even if in the end for whatever reason EndMyopia did not cure my myopia, it still improved my life.

Active focus was pretty easy to find, though I don’t have much control over it. Either it happens or it doesn’t happen; it happens easily in good light conditions and it almost never happens in poor light conditions. I haven’t experienced clear flashes in distance vision (my myopia is still way too high for that), but I did experience something like clear flashes in closeup vision. It’s different from active focus where I consciously try to clear up some text. With my closeup clear flashes, suddenly everything in closeup range clears up, with a better clarity than active focus. The closeup clear flashes happen at arbitrary times, without me aiming for it, and when it happens I can push back my screen much further away (maybe 20-30 centimeters further) and the text still stays perfectly clear. When that started happening regularly, I decreased my differentials to left -2.0 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 150 degrees, right -1.50 SPH -0.75 CYL @ 10 degrees. Probably I should drop the cylinders on the next reduction of the differentials.

Sorry for the long introduction. Thank you Jake and everybody in the community.

7 Likes

What a great intro! I so totally agree with your reasons/motivations to get rid of glasses and contacts.

Right on!