Setting expectations for correcting myopia and astigmatism

Hello,

Newbie here.

Male, in my 40s. I don’t have my numbers handy, but I know that I am under -1 for sphere and cylinder, and have a small correction for astigmatism.

I work at a screen eight hours per day, and unfortunately, it’s not something I can avoid. I currently wear glasses for screen work only, though I ought to wear them for reading paper books, and I am also getting headaches because I need correction for longer-range vision.

I have not gone down the rabbit hole of EndMyopia’s material yet.

I like to ask a basic question: what are reasonable expectations with regards to daily time investment (and duration of practice, over months or longer) to correct my vision such that I no longer need corrective lenses? And on a related note, once I have corrected my vision, will I still need to commit to a daily practice to maintain the correction?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

No, there’s not really any daily practice required in terms of spending additional time “doing anything”. You basically just work on your habits: when you’re outside or driving try to focus on distant objects like street signs or license plates. When you’re indoors make sure you’re regularly looking up from the screen and focusing on some distant object to give your eyes a break. You also want to try to keep the screens at the maximum comfortable distance you can still focus clearly.

For you, you shouldn’t be wearing distance glasses at all for screen work! If you find you must have the astigmatism correction you’d be better off getting a pair of “office lenses” or “computer glasses” made up with a minimal amount of astigmatism correction and no sphere, or even a tiny amount of plus sphere.

Minus lenses are to help you see clearly at a distance, for activities such as driving, and actually contribute to eyestrain if you’re using them for close-up.

So, as you’re reading through the End Myopia stuff, you’d want to:

• stop using your distance glasses for close-up
  • put up a couple of eye charts in convenient places to keep track of your vision
  • keep your screens at the maximum distance you can comfortably use them
  • practice focusing on street signs or license plates, or whatever you can see at a distance when you’re not working.

There’s no daily time commitment you have to make available.

3 Likes

Maybe I have misunderstood the system, but I thought that this sort of vision retraining required a daily time commitment.

To clarify, I don’t use distance glasses for screen work. I have a pair with the following for screen work.

• OD: Sphere +1.00, Cyl -0.75, Axis 93

So for endmyopia you would generally use two pairs of glasses, one for distance that is very slightly undercorrected compared to your full prescription for distance; and one pair of glasses for close-up.

In your case it sounds like you need a pair of distance glasses, and you might investigate whether or not you could remove a small amount of the astigmatism correction for close up and still see the screens well. Many people find they don’t need as much astigmatism correction for close-up as they’ve been prescribed.

So in your case, rather than going without glasses entirely right now outside (which if I understand is giving you headaches) you need a pair that almost entirely, but not quite, corrects your distance vision. Perhaps right now without glasses you see 20/60. Let’s say you get a pair that corrects you to 20/25 vision instead of 20/20 vision. Then when you’re wearing those (whenever you’re outside doing whatever you do outside) you practice focusing on distant objects through them. After a few months of wearing those and focussing through them you should be able to see 20/20 or better through those glasses, at which point it’s time to remove some additional correction.

So instead of being outside walking around and getting headaches from too much under-correction, you should be outside and walking around practicing focusing on distant objects. Usually after about 3 months you can reduce the correction a little bit more.

The time commitment is really up-front just to figure out what it is you’re trying to do (the stage you’re in now). It’s not like you need to set aside part of your day to “do something” you’re not already doing.

In your case you’d want to figure out what your “full prescription” for distance is, and then start with a little bit less than that to get some focus challenge.

Read up a little here on “blur adaptation” and how to combat that. You’re probably blur adapted from not wearing distance correction.

1 Like