Should we see crystal clear with normalized?

It has been 10 days since I am wearing my norms
reduced by -0.75 in L and -0.50 in R from -4 and -3.75. This is my first normalized.My left eye is the weaker eye.But I reduced it by -.75.Don’t know if I did right.I wanted both to be equal.

So I am using -3.25 right now.In the morning when I spend 30 minutes everyday without glasses and after that when I check my eyes with the norms on the Snellen,it is nearly 20/20. But as there is less light it goes back to 20/50 in evening or 20/70 at night.

Since I have reduced more than 0.25,will it take longer for me? My last full prescribed glasses were blue-light-blocking glasses.I compare my vision with these as well as norms.With the blue-blockers I can see crystal sharp 20/10 and more.

Does this happen bcoz it blocks blue light? When will I know that it is time to reduce my norms?I should be able to see 20/20 even at night on snellen?

Also,one of my friend has -2.50.Today I wore his glasses for sometime.And suddenly my eyes were relaxed.I felt more confident.Though they were giving me a lot of blur I could clear the blur more easily and in relaxed manner more than my normalized.With my norms sometimes I strain to see to make the blur very clear.

I don’t expect magic results just within 10 days.But will it take longer for my eyes to adapt to my norms?

Sry for so many questions ans long post.:grimacing:
Pls help…

You don’t say whether you reduced from a commercial “prescription” or from the centimenter measurement. If the latter, your reduction may not be any more than mine was (which I would stand by as a success). The distinction between the two standards seems crucial in Endmyopia—i.e., between one that is driven by the need to sell things and one based on an actual observable, measurable standard.

1 Like

No its not because of the blue light brother.
Its just higher prescription . You reducing the normalized is correct start and when you can see 2020 with normalized you reduce by 0.25 again. This should be around every 3-4 months . Try your friends glasses and see if you can see snellen 20/20 if you can then you should reduced your normalized somore. Its not reccomended for norms to be super sharp clear like 20/10 which is actually bad for eyes.Good average is around 20/20 when you confident your normalized can see 20/20 then reduce

2 Likes

Yes and no.

Yes if you see crystal clear using Active Focus.
No if you get this without any challenge or change.

If you don’t need to rely on Active Focus to see 20/20 with normalised on, it’s definitely a time to reduce.

1 Like

When I started EM for the first months I needed “booting up” time to get to the day’s best vision (20/20 or 20/25) and by the end of the day I also dropped to 20/50 or 20/70 indoors with artificial lights.

I’d say stay with your norms and observe how it changes over the next weeks. Do you need less time to boot up for the best vision? Can you maintain best vision longer and longer? Is the drop decreasing at the end of the day?
If you always wore your glasses for all distances before, you can get away with this drop for the first reduction. (The later ones should be 0.25D only) You know you increased the challenge by combining it with equalising. So it may be slower at the start as this requires efforts from the brain, too.
The first drop is all about learning how your eyes and brain react to changes.

Note: due to the different LUXs it is normal to have around 0.75D difference on Snellen from day to evening - this is about 3 lines on Snellen, i.e. around 20/40. Everyone takes the drop in distance vision normal when walking into a bar or restaurant, compared to daylight outdoors or well lit offices / schools.

Do you have differentials? I’d assume your differentials would be around this strength and be perfectly OK for you to clear blur on screens and within 3m distance.

Thanks! I am getting a lot of double vision nowadays.In the first 2 weeks I only experienced blur.Now DV is often hard to resolve.During AF do we need to hold the clarity for sometime? At the beginning when I did AF I used to just clear the blur and not hold the clarity.Now When I try to clear the DV I am getting frustruated.I stare at it but the image fuses temporarily.

Sometimes my vision seems totally better and sometimes it seems worse or where it was before. At night it is 20/70 or sometimes 20/50.
When I first experienced DV I thought I am doing something wrong.But now after reading the blog and posts abt DV it seema it is actually a sign of progress.Is it?

Should I put in more effort? Thanks for the support.:slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks😊.And Sorry for the late reply. I have my exams going on so I need to study a lot😅

Did you get a set of differentials?

1 Like

No.I won’t able to.My father won’t allow.But I do practice print pushing with naked eyes.My blur horizon is at 32 cm.Do u want to say I won’t improve without diffs?

Only if you use the full strength lenses but you can get away with it if you remove you glasses.

1 Like

Many people have the pattern of blur => DV => clarity
DV is there before clarity because your eyes improve but your brain is not there yet to accept that the 2 inputs are now different. Indeed the feeling of having 2 sharper images but shifted can be more annoying than the original blur. I’ve been there too!!!
I think instead of more effort you should put more patience in it (I know! :crazy_face:). One thing that you can try in front of the Snellen is not to push more but to relax more. Relax you shoulder, neck, face, jaw. Move your head a bit around while you keep looking at the Snellen. Take a deep breath, hold it in a bit, and relax into it as you exhale. Note your peripheral vision. Look at something further away and then back at the Snellen. It may be that you are not even aware but actually you are creating the DV by trying too hard.
Also if you are unsure about the improvement, walk closer to the Snellen until DV disappears and then just step back one stepor half a step. See if you can increase this distance over time.

You will improve I’m sure. One thing though: when you practice print pushing try to avoid tunnel focusing too much. The peripheral will be blurry of course, but don’t lose it completely while focusing in the text in front of you. If nothing else, roll your eyes around every now and then. Avoid “frozen hard eyes” while practicing.

Keep up with the good work! :blush:

2 Likes

Thank You So much for ur Support😄.I am not sure abt the improvement but damn sure it isn’t worsening😉.I sometimes feel I reduced too much.Next time I’ll just reduce by 0.25.I often become impatient bcoz I want to experience the real world out there and don’t want to waste more of my teenage.So many things with these glasses are next to impossible(risky things).And the most frustruating thing is awkardness I feel when I meet new people…

Maybe not all experience this but personally I do.

Thanks!!:slightly_smiling_face:

I feel like it’s not reasonable to expect perfect clarity with any glasses. It’s just not realistic. You can get close, but it’ll never be perfect for most people. You want it to be close, yet comfortable as well. You want to be within the 20/20 to 20/40 range in good light on average. It’ll fluctuate.

As far as differentials, they might not be necessary for everyone. Over the years, differentials have caused me trouble at times…as in strain. I’m currently not using any. Someone with your or my level of myopia might be able to get away with just a normalized. When you need to do sustained close work, you can either use your normalized and back up a couple of feet, or take them off and get closer. If you get strain at near often, even when following this advice, then differentials might be helpful. But I personally think normalized glasses and frequent use of your distance vision is much more important for most people. I think differentials are more of a crutch. The best thing is to avoid frequent overuse of your vision at near that causes bad strain time after time…regardless of your glasses.

1 Like