Sight Meter iPhone App

Beta Release of Sight Meter

Here’s my version of a vision tracking and testing app that I’ve been working on for the last couple months. I submitted it to Apple on Friday and it was just approved for TestFlight beta testing.

This initial version has been stripped down to the basic features but I think it’ll give a good foundation to build upon.

There are a few limitations:

• It’s just for iPhones and iPads.
  • The “Distance to Blur” test has the same limitations as the other iPhone distance to blur measuring apps. It only works between (about) 18 cm and the distance that you can reach.
  • The DTB test requires an iPhone with a TrueDepth front facing camera but I’ve included an additional “manual” way of entering the measurements if your phone doesn’t have TrueDepth.

This is the first app that I’ve made for the iPhone so a lot of this is new to me. I welcome any feedback on the app so please let me know if you have problems with it or ideas about how to improve it.

Here’s the link to join the beta test. Basically, you’ll need to install the “TestFlight” app first and then after that you can install Sight Meter.

4 Likes

What versions of iPad and iPhone is supported? I have an iPad 3rd generation and have no intention of upgrading hardware anytime soon.

Supposedly, as long as an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch is running iOS version 12.2 on it, it should work. Unfortunately I think the 3rd generation iPad doesn’t run iOS 12.

Looks good! I would add though that the “automatic” measurement only works for iPhone X and newer models. But one can record manually with older models, which is still great. I will check it more and give more feedback

Thanks! Yes, the iPhone X, Xs and Xr are the only iPhones that the automatic measuring will work on.

Also, the new 12.9" iPad pro has the TrueDepth camera on it. I haven’t tried it on there yet. Hopefully someone will let me know how well it works.

Very nice! Just downloaded and did my first test. Super easy and straight forward. (Super easy is great for this old dog to figure out!)

I have an iPhone XS Max and the app worked great!

Thanks, Jetpad! I’m looking forward to tracking with your app.

Edit: I just compared the cm from the app with my last measurements and they are the same!

1 Like

Glad it is working well for you. Good to know that it is working on the XS Max.

Here’s a screen grab of my distance to blur measurements for the last two weeks. There’s not enough data captured to see much of a trend yet. Also, it’s missing any “Left Eye” measurements on it because my left eye blur distance is too short for the phone to capture.

Awesome work jetpad! Looks intuitive and user friendly.

Could there be some kind of way to import existing log, e.g. if user formats it correctly? Would be a fabulous way to switch over from old method to this app.

Thanks for your feedback! A basic export and import just to get things backed up and restored is on my short todo list. After that I’ll see about making import a little more flexible to pull in existing logs.

Great job, jetpad! I love the idea. Here are the things I would like to improve if possible:

1. When you measure the distance to blur, there is no way to unclick the Left, Right, Both buttons. I accidentally click it sometimes and have to click save to reset.
  2. Sometimes I need some time to measure, but the screen goes off. I have to click it with a finger occasionally to keep it on. It messes the measurement a bit. So maybe keep the screen on when you do the measure.
  3. I’m not sure if you really need the “save” button. You can always delete the incorrect measurements. Clicking on Left, Right, Both buttons might add result into the log right away and reset the button. Also would be nice to see the distance when you measure (immediate feedback).

Thanks again. It is a fantastic app.

1 Like

Great feedback.

1. It’s not obvious but you can click the buttons again (before pressing save) and it’ll replace the distance from the previous click. I may need to rethink it a little.

2. Screen dimming… Good idea. That’ll be an easy fix in the next release.

3. I kind-of like adding (or not) all three entries at once with the save but I’ll give that some thought.

4. Showing the distance when you measure. - I don’t think I’ll change it to show the distance. I had left it out on purpose so that a visible distance value wouldn’t influence the tester. I wanted it to be objective as possible.

One feature I added to the “Distance to Blur” test is to keep the text at the same angular size as you move the phone further or closer to your face. The text will appear to grow or shrink but the relative size will stay the same. I think keeping the relative size the same makes it easier to see the point where the text become blurry and not just smaller.

Thanks, @jetpad. I was about to comment on that. This feature results in text trembling on the screen, which makes it a bit hard to see the blur. Even if I fix the phone, the text is still trembling because I think your body is shaking a little and the sensor picks small distance change. So, maybe, let the users disable this behavior.

Again, thanks a lot for the work you do. It is the best tool I’ve used to measure Distance to Blur.

I actually had just updated the app about an hour ago and made it a little less jumpy. I could probably even turn down the jumpiness slightly more. Let me know if it is still too “responsive” to the change in distance. I may end up adding a setting for it.

Ok, there is a new version of the Sight Meter app.

• The main feature of this release is the nomalization of the “Distance to blur” measurements. That will allow you to take DTB measurements while wearing glasses or contacts (or a combination of the two) and it’ll convert those measurements into the equivalent distance as if you weren’t wearing any corrective lenses. For example, if you wear contacts but your DTB is less than 18 cm, wearing “reader” glasses along with your contacts can move your DTB into the range that can be measured on the iPhone. This first release of the normalization feature will probably give some strange or poor results and I’ll need to make additional changes to improve the accuracy and understand its limitations. What I’ve found so far is that It seems to get less accurate with stronger prescriptions or with vision issues like presbyopia.

• There is a new “Settings” icon at the bottom of the screen. That’ll be where you can turn on/off features or find things that don’t belong anywhere else in the app.

• The “Distance to blur” test has been changed to use all uppercase letters for better legibility. I’ve also added the currently selected vision profile at the bottom of the test so that you can be sure it matchs what you are wearing while taking the test. That is important so the nomalization of the distance is accurate.

• The “Distance to blur” report will now show normalized distances unless you turn off the “Normalize charts and reports” on the settings page.

• Clicking on rows of the “Distance to blur” report will now show a new report listing details about the distance test.

• The “Distance to blur” chart will now show normalized distances unless you turn off the “Normalize charts and reports” on the settings page.

• The “Distance to blur” chart now shows trend lines after it has enough data. You can turn off this feature by toggling off “Display Trends Line” in settings.

• The iPhone screen is blocked from automatically dimming when taking the “Distance to Blur” test.

• There is a setting to set the origin of the y-axis to zero on the “Distance to blur” chart. Turning that feature off will make the origin of the y-axis, the shortest distance recorded.

2 Likes

I need some help calibrating the normalization feature of Sight Meter. What I’d like is everyone using the app to take a “Distance to blur” measurement for each eye without wearing any vision correction (Naked Eyes) and then take the test again wearing contacts, glasses and/or a combination of contacts and readers. Send me your Naked Eyes distance along with a screen capture of the “Test Details” report for each test you took with corrective lenses. You can submit them through TestFlight or directly to my email at dsmith@jetpad.com so that we don’t clog up this forum with them. Here’s an example for myself. My right eye needs a -5.50 diopter contact to give me 20/20 and my distance to blur is 18.2 cm. Here’s my “Test Details” report when I wear +1.50 readers on top of my contacts.
Pasted%20Graphic

1 Like

Here’s a few more updates to the app.

• I’ve spaced out the letters on the distance to blur test. I think it helps a lot for getting an accurate reading.
  • If you haven’t found it yet, clicking on the text in the “Distance to blur” test, will invert the colors to give you white text on a black background.
  • I’ve added “plano” for missing spherical values in prescriptions to make it more obvious that a value is zero.
  • I’ve smoothed out changes to the size of the testing text on the distance to blur test. The text size now slowly adjusts to the new distance from your face and that makes the text less “jumpy”.
  • You can wink an eye (or both eyes) to record the distance in the “Distance to blur” test. This is handy if your DTB is longer than your reach. It’ll allow you to put the phone beyond your reach and still record the distance. It’s still a little flakey so I’ve turned the feature off by default. If you want to try it out, there is a setting to enable it.
  • And I still need some help calibrating the normalization feature of Sight Meter. The more data I have, the better. Take a “Distance to blur” measurement for each eye without wearing any vision correction (Naked Eyes) and then take the test again wearing contacts, glasses and/or a combination of contacts and readers. Send me your Naked Eyes distance along with a screen capture of the “Test Details” report for each test you took with corrective lenses. You can submit them through TestFlight or directly to my email at dsmith@jetpad.com

I’m not sure that this is something you’re interested in doing but it could be helpful to add a “different color” font option. I use this photo when I measure my eyes and it really helps me figure out where my blur edge is. Also something that tracks the time of day when you measure could be helpful. Because my eyes are always worse at the end of the day.

So far though i think the app is awesome. Good job.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been experimenting with different text and background colors but haven’t tried a split screen version like you’ve shown here. So to use this you move it away from you and you’ll see the green start to blur just before the red starts to blur? And you’d pick a distance that is right in the middle of the two?

… time of day tracking…

I’m currently recording the time of day but I’m not doing anything with it so far. At some point, I’ll probably add some filtering to the reports and charts that’ll let you compare the results between different times of day.