Signs that it's time to tackle cylinder?

After lots of blog reading and videos I’ve got my first normalized figured out. I have elected to deal with cylinder reductions later. I’m a bit sad to not eliminate astigmatism from the beginning because I was able to eliminate it on my differentials. But I feel like it would be best for me to get some spherical gains before taking that leap.

It was a tough choice to accept but my test lens kit really helped convince me which road would make the most sense for me. I’ll take any progress I can get. Maybe on my next reduction it will be time to get rid of cylinders.

My question for anyone who’s made astigmatism reductions is what signs helped you to recognize it was time to tackle some cylinder reductions?

Is there a diopter range that seems to be better for it? Or worse for it? Everything I’ve read says to handle it later in most cases. But I’m not sure what later is.

Also, has anyone reduced both cylinder and spherical at the same time? Or is that just asking for trouble? I’ve read that sometimes it’s even good to raise spherical when dropping cylinder.

Any tips on what to watch for as indicators that it might be time to begin addressing cylinder?

3 Likes

I can address one of your questions:

Yes, some people have had success doing that. But if it was written as plus cylinder, you don’t add minus power after removing it. That’s only for minus cylinder.

Alternatively, you can convert to minus format, and then do the drop and add thing.

6 Likes

You are being very, very wise! :+1:
Exactly the way to do it!
As you’ve already figured out, it’s easier to drop cyl on differentials. From the blog I remember to wait 1-2 sph reductions before a cyl reduction, and repeat.

As @FMR said, you might convert some cyl in sph. While you start wearing your first normalized, make sure to search the blog for ‘reducing prescription complexity’ - explains how to convert cyl into sph, and when to do it.

You have a test lens kit - try the intended prescription before ordering your next normalized. I suggest to go for a walk in the dark with the test frame and look at neon signs or the moon. If a normalized with slightly higher sph but without cyl feels good in these conditions, I would go for it.

For me, signs and the moon at night are a great indicator on my vision, especially astigmatism.

However, I’ve dropped it all at once because of my un-Jake-start of the vision journey, so no experience with gradually reducing.

11 Likes

I’ve seen that mentioned, but can you clarify… Does 1-2 sph reductions mean normalized reductions, or normalized and differential?

A complete reduction is them combined indeed. So 1-2 successful full reductions, partial will not benefit you. You’ll only reduce your differential and then tackle some astigmatism without correcting the normalized that went along with the first differential reducing and vice versa.

So yeah, combine them and see what works.

2 Likes

What Laurens Said :wink:

U said 2 wait for atleast 1-2 reduction before a cylindrical drop…but this if for which differentials or normalised can Idrop cyl. no by .5 in my differentials as they are having -1.5 & .75 cyl no…with sph -7 in both eyes

What I wrote above referred to normalised.

You are asking us to give you diopter specific advice. This goes against forum policy. Please read the corresponding section (diopter specific advice) in the house rules for more information on why we are unable to provide that. Please rephrase your question to stay in accordance with these regulations.

I’ve replied in your thread already that you’re asking diopter specific advice. Consider this your warning.

1 Like