Simple guide about how to end myopia

Will this guide answer all of my questions about myopia and how to end it once and for all?

No, it won’t.

What is the purpose of this guide then?

It will help you start and progress on your journey back to 20/20 eyesight.

How will it help?

It will give you milestones for the journey and tips on how to find more information about them. Please note that it’s a guide for a DIY method, you won’t get a full blueprint here.

But I just want to know how to improve my eyesight, please tell me what to do!

OK, all you have to do is:

1. Make sure to have no eye strain (differential for close-up and good habits)
  2. Find active focus
  3. Make sure to always have some blur (normalized and good habits and reducing when needed)
  4. Challenge the blur with active focus all the time
  5. Continue until 20/20

That’s all. Of course the devil is in the details, but honestly, it is that simple (hence this guide’s title).

So that’s all I need to know?

Not really. Again, there is nothing else to do, but there is a lot to tell about those five points. It’s actually so much that it cannot be written into one simple guide, but you should use the available resources: the “7 Day E-mails”, the Endmyopia.org website, Endmyopia Facebook group, Jake Steiner’s YouTube channel, Endmyopia Le Meow forum, videos from other people who reduced or eliminated myopia, Search the web, and last but certainly not least: common sense.

How should I start?
By reading the “7 Day E-mails” (they can be found on Endmyopia website). Those e-mails contain all information you need to start your journey, so make sure you understand everything that is explained in those emails. If you don’t understand something, try to search the Endmyopia site about the part that’s unclear.

Do I have to wait 7 days to get all of them?

Yes. That may sound like a lot of time, but if you are not patient enough to wait for them, you will not be patient enough for this myopia reversal method. It’s not a quick fix, you won’t get 20/20 vision in a few days or weeks. Most likely the journey will last for years depending on how high your myopia is. On the bright side though, the results you achieve via this method will last.

Does this method have a solid scientific base?

The “7 Day E-mails” covers this largely, almost all of those emails contains some science section to back the information up, so read them carefully. If you are curious about the science and you still have some questions, the Endmyopia website has information on the main page. It’s also available as the “Science” section accessible from the top menu. If you still have questions, then use expression from those previous sources and search the web, but even more importantly: pubmed and google scholar.

Main topics about the Endmyopia method

Measuring
The third day of the “7 Day E-mails” covers it. Also it’s a good habit to print out and put up a Snellen chart somewhere in your home or office. You can download charts from the Endmyopia site, or you can find others on the web. It won’t give you exact diopters, but it will serve as a good reference.

Differential glasses
The fifth and sixth day of the “7 Day E-mails” covers this topic.

So I should use differential for close-up, but what about distance?

You should use your current prescription for now. Don’t go on without your glasses! Looking at nothing but blur does nothing good for your eyes, it may even make your vision worse (search for “blur adaptation” on Endmyopia).

Active focus
The seventh day of the “7 Day E-mails” explains this, more or less. This is the most important part of the journey, but unfortunately it’s just as easy to teach as how to wiggle their ears. Which means that you may have already found it, but you just don’t know how it’s beneficial for your eyesight. But it can also be quite a challenge to learn this skill. It’s really simple to do after you realize how to do it, but cannot be explained in a direct and tangible way. The 7th day e-mail has a link for resources about active focus, make sure you check all of them if you have problems with finding it. If you still can’t get it, search the site, the Facebook group and this forum about it. There is a ton of discussion going on about this topic.

Some points to consider about active focus:

• Ciliary spasm makes it hard, if not impossible to master Actice Focus. Until you eliminate ciliary muscle spasm with proper differential glasses and good habits you may have no chance at all in finding Active Focus (if you don’t know what “ciliary spasm” means, use the search option on the website).
  • Active focus should not be uncomfortable at all. You may find methods to make the blur clear up which result in muscle strain, eye strain, minor or major headaches, but those are either not active focus, or you are doing something unnecessary. You don’t have sensory nerves in your ciliary muscle, so you won’t feel it contracting nor relaxing. Also no voluntary muscle movement or hard blinking is required for active focus to work. If you can only clear blur with those approaches, you have not found active focus yet, so try more and read up. Don’t try harder, but practice more.
  • Active focus is normal behavior for the eye. It’s not like lifting weights, but more like breathing or walking. It should feel natural. Also to look afar, your ciliary muscle has to relax, not contract. The more stressed you are, the less well rested your are, the harder you try, the more you will struggle to find it. It will just makes it more difficult (if not impossible) to get there. Just relax, don’t try to force anything. In other words, use active focus to relax into focus, and not force your vision into clarity.

How to continue?

So I’m not really getting this Active Focus, can we continue with the next step?

Active Focus is the main and only method to improve your eyesight using Endmyopia. Everything else are just tools to enable you to get to Active Focus. Your eyes won’t improve because you wear reduced glasses, they will only improve because you use Active Focus. So make sure to find it and find it correctly. If you reduce your prescription and just stare into the blur without active focus, you aren’t providing any good stimulus. You could even get blur adaptation, which will just make your journey much harder later on.

So you have differential glasses and found active focus. Now you have to wait. Your body (both your eyes and your mind) have to adapt to the changes that were made and this takes time. You should wait 4-6 weeks between diopter changes. Furthermore, when ciliary spasm releases, your eyes may improve drastically depending on how over-prescribed you were. If you get normalized before this waiting period is through you may find that they are already too strong to be of use.

What should I do in those 4-6 weeks?
Live your life! This doesn’t mean that you should forget about Endmyopia, but this is for sure the greatest thing about this method. You don’t have to actively deal with it to improve your eyes. What you need is good habits:

• Using differentials for close-up (at the edge of blur, to make sure that you don’t develop ciliary spasm)
  • When you see something blurred, try to clear it up using Active Focus. Not as an exercise, but as you go about living your life.
  • Measure your eyes a few times every week using the centimeter calculator.

If you are curious about Endmyopia and the teachings, by all means browse the website (it has loads of content that is very interesting), but there may be things you don’t understand yet until you get your normalized, and you may come across advanced topics which are not a concern at this point.

Your first normalized correction
The main purpose of ones normalized correction is to have a bit of blur challenge in the distance while still being able to maintain your normal life. You should take your full prescription and remove some corrective strength from it. How much is that “some”? That is the big question and it’s not easy to answer because it varies from person to person.
Because of these varying personal circumstances and diopter differences there is no set rule which can be used to determine what your normalized correction should be. There is a lot of information about it on the Endmyopia site, also on the Facebook group and in this forum. Search those resources and gather as much information as you can. You may have to guess a little. Even if you make a mistake, it’ll be much easier to make adjustments, because you have some reference from that point on.
For ones normalized reduction it is advised to make the change after you wake up. Don’t switch your old normalized for a reduced one during the day. If you curious why that is, search the EM website for: “Zero diopter reset”.
Once you get your first normalized, enjoy the Active Focus opportunities in the distance. You should always have a bit blur far away, which provides you with a challenge and an opportunity to clear it up. Don’t think of this as an exercise, but whenever you see something blurry, try to clear it up for a moment. After that go about your business again.

When to reduce?
You have differentials sorted, found active focus, got your first normalized and already used these corrections for a while. Again, you should wait 4-6 weeks to let your biology adapt. After that you can reduce your differentials. You should alternate reducing differentials and normalized: reduce differentials - 4-6 weeks - reduce normalized - 4-6 weeks - differentials again - 4-6 weeks - normalized again, etc.
Reducing differentials is often easier, because you can adjust your close-up distances. Generally speaking, if you have hard time acquiring an ergonomically comfortable distance for close-up while being at the edge of blur, it’s time to reduce. If the reduced differentials would result in too much blur up close, it’s better to wait a bit more.
For your normalized you should reduce when you don’t have enough blur challenge in the distance. The main goal with normalized is to have blur challenge that is solvable.
Again, the Endmyopia website has a lot of information about it. Use the search function.

Edit: I came up with a bit more precise ruleset about reductions here:
🎥 OCULAR DOMINANCE: Why Your Eyes Each Don't See The Same o_0
Still note that it’s fallible and not all case is covered (see Jake’s comment below the linked comment). But I think so far it’s the most exact ruleset about reduction in the Endmyopia domain.

How to reduce?
Generally speaking you should reduce 0.25 diopters after your initial reduction. Your mileage may vary, but it’s really rare that reducing more at once is beneficial. Again, the goal for differential glasses is to have the edge of blur at ergonomic distance for close-up, and the goal for normalized is to have a nice blur challenge far away. You should stick to those principles.

It should also be noted that if you have astigmatism and/or larger than 0.25 diopter difference between your eyes, you should start reducing your prescription complexity sooner or later. Do not do this on your first reduction, you should get the hang of that first. If it’s unclear how to proceed, search the EM website.

Double vision
As you reduce and improve your may encounter some double/misaligned vision. It’s normal during the journey (especially once you get to lower diopters). Usually you can clear them just by staring at something that isn’t lined up properly (not too hard, not too long, don’t strain your eyes). It may take longer to get it to line up by default. Search the Endmyopia site, the facebook group or this forum for more information if you have problem tackling it.

Low myopia
The main difference is that you can do without your differential glasses. You may have never even needed differentials if you started out with low myopia. This is a great thing, because you can spend more time practicing without glasses. Good habits are also much more important, because you loose the edge of blur up close. From this point if you do too much close-up, your ciliary muscle can spasm again, which makes active focus hard if not impossible. Do make sure to develop good close-up habits if you don’t have them already. For good habits and more information on low myopia search the Endmyopia site.

Also if you still have high astigmatism and/or larger differences between your eyes than 0.25 diopters, you should start reducing those difference. Search for “high myopia with astigmatism”, “prescription complexity”, “ocular dominance”, “patching” and “diopter gap”. Based on other peoples experience it’s much easier to reduce complexity while both of your eyes are in need of correction. It’s much harder to do after one of your eyes achieves 20/20 vision.

Troubleshooting
What happens if you get stuck somewhere on your journey? For example, your eyesight is not improving, or it’s improving a bit slowly? Do know that 0.25 diopters reduction every 3-4 months is normal. Are you just simply uncertain about a topic? As mentioned in the beginning, there are a ton of resources to utilize: the website, the Facebook group, YouTube videos, this forum. You should check those out and search them. There are a lot of people who are on the same journey and whatever your problem may be, most likely someone else already dealt with something similar. Be it high myopia, too big of a diopter difference, high astigmatism, low myopia, when to reduce, where to buy glasses, double vision, not improving etc… Most likely you will find the information you need about your problem. If you searched everything and still cannot find anything that helps you out: Ask a well spelled out question in the Facebook group or here in this forum. There is a good chance that someone has a solution or can point you in the right direction to tackle this issue you might be having.

If you have problems with how to search for more information or you have language problems, one of our community member has written an excellent guide about these: (“New to English? New to the internet” section from here: https://community.endmyopia.org/t/rough-guide-to-myopia-reversal-template/5559/52)

Epilogue

This guide helps, but I feel it only really covers the basics. Is there a guide for the later part of the journey too?

No, and rightly so. As was mentioned in the beginning, while this method is essentially simple, there are a lot of variables. Especially if you take personal, physical and lifestyle differences into account. It is essential that you search for more information after you started this journey. Be an active member of the community, check for new posts and videos on the Endmyopia site and from other community members. Eventually you will get more familiar with the advanced topics, most likely even before they become relevant for your.own journey.

This guide is fine, but honestly I would rather pay to someone who could lead me through this journey and I wouldn’t have to find out everything for myself.

In that case, we have good news. Jake Steiner has a sort of personally coached, structured program for getting you back to 20/20. After the 7 Day emails you will get more information about it. In this program you get a structured approach along with personal help from Jake if you encounter any problems.
There are also other more detailed courses on the Endmyopia website for sell. Check them, they may help your journey.

I’m a bit confused now. This program contains the information I need to reach 20/20 eyesight, and it cannot be accessed from free resources?

This is certainly not the case. Everything you need is available for free. The paid program only gives you a structured approach, so you don’t have to search the site, the Facebook group, this forum, etc. for the information required. You will also get personal time from Jake if you have any questions. But every bit of information and every answer can be found in the free resources too. You just have to search for it, experiment a bit and use common sense.

43 Likes

So I have written the “rough guide” I thought of when I mentioned it to Jake on the fb group (Help With A "Rough Guide To Improve Eyesight").

What’s intentional in the guide:

• the lenght of the guide. I wanted to keep it short. Both because people should not rely solely on this but should search for other source, and because I want it to be “bite sized” and not a lengthy guide which should be studied for hours and days.
  • the information content of the guide. If I missed something which is crucial for the endmyopia journey let me know, but I would rather not extend the guide further (I feel I’ve written too much already). On the contrary, maybe it needs some reduction, for example in the normalized and how to reduce parts. Again, the goal is not to answer every question, but to point to the right direction.
  • active focus is more detailed than the other parts. I think this is the most important aspect of the whole method. If you get comfortable active focus then you will have fun and improve on your own. If you struggle with AF, if you have to force yourself to do it, then you will stop doing it sooner or later.
  • not having links to exact posts / videos. If I would link one post then there is a chance they just check that and think they know everything about the topic. Also people should learn to search.

Not intentional:

• grammatical mistakes. English is not my first language so I expect to have them (though I tried to search for them), especially comma mistakes (my language use much more comma than English, so I just can’t really wrap my head around when I should use them in English and when not :slight_smile: ). So please let me know if you find anything (this sentence is a great example for my comma problems :smiley: With hungarian grammar it would look like: “So please, let me know, if you find anything”. In English maybe there should be a comma after “please”? I honestly don’t know).
  • not proper English. Again, it’s not my first language so what sounds ok to me, may sound weird in reality :slight_smile: Let me know if some sentences / subsentences should be rephrased.

I’m not sure:

• The guide is phrased like the reader has not yet read the 7 day e-mails. But maybe this guide would be better to send / show to the users after they are through the e-mails? In that case some section needs rephrasing. What do you think @jakey?
  • Maybe there should be “no medical advice, etc.” part at the beginning. I would rather let that do by @jakey though if he ever wants to post this publicly, he has more experience writing these kind of things :slight_smile:
  • I’m not sure where should be @Tii_Chen 's guide linked. Maybe it should be put to somewhere in the beginning, so if someone is struggling with language / searching won’t be intimated by the “search, search, search” thing? On the other hand I don’t want to make people feel they have to read something long at the beginning of the guide, so I feel it’s better in the Troubleshooting section.
  • Maybe there should be a link to Jake’s “short guide about Endmyopia” video? (I cannot link it now, but the first video from this topic: Start your improvement here). If yes, I’m not sure where it should be.
  • At first I named it “stupidly simple guide” based on my previous post (Help With A "Rough Guide To Improve Eyesight") :smiley: But that may sounds too rude / negative in English? I would like that better though.
  • If this should be in the “Tools” category :smiley:
13 Likes

I’ve tried it with a dummy e-mail address and it seems to work for me now. What is the exact error message you get? Let’s tag @jakey if he has some idea.

Works fine. Seeing 100+ new completed requests just from today.

3 Likes

It sounds to me like blur adaptation is likely an increase in visual resolution in the brain. Why would this be a bad thing?

1 Like

Their “blur adaptation” is not the same thing as the “blur adaptation” in this guide (and usually on Endmyopia site). They speaking about being for 3 hours in blur (that was their trial), while we speak about living in blur all the time (not using glasses altogether). There is no problem and can even lead to improvement if you don’t use glasses for a short period of time occasionally (I think Jake also recommends to don’t use your glasses for 30-60m when you wake up for example), but your eyesight will deteriorate if you do it frequently for a long time. It’s like weight lifting: you will get stronger if you lift weight 3 times a week for 60-120m, but your muscle will just injure and break down if you lift weight 7 times a week for 4 hours every day.

Edit: in the trial most people was also low or near to low myopia (“mean refractive error = -2.07D”). In that case ditching the glasses is almost like wearing normalized glasses.

4 Likes

I see. Is this more of a community observation or are there studies proving it? If the latter I could use help finding them, obviously since I’m finding off-topic stuff instead.

(P.S. I’m -3.5 and -3.25, what’s worse? I wear contacts and don’t have glasses, is it worse for me to be looking at close up screens with them on or looking far away with them off? I go for a 2-3mi run every morning, but apart from that I’m usually looking pretty close up. Since taking my contacts off frequently a week ago I’m finding it mildly uncomfortable to look at screens with them on, even as far away as I can get them. But the obviously boosted clarity when I put them on and go for a run outside has been nice.)

Search for “blur adaptation” on Endmyopia.org and on Jake’s youtube channel.

@halmadavid… David, good job! I must have overlooked this topic the first go around. Little suggestion to remove the first person ‘I’ in this sentence …maybe replace with “Don’t forget about Endmyopia, but…”

Also, when discussing ciliary spasm, you may want to emphasize going outdoors to relax the ciliary muscles in order for Active Focus to be possible :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The tried method is to use your glasses all the time (until you reach low myopia). If you want to steer away from that you have to experiment, because there is not much experience with it. There is this guy who could improve with similar glasses aversion as you have: https://www.liamchai.com/eyesight/ , maybe he can tell more how it worked for him. But again, this is not the Endmyopia method, so your mileage may vary. Jake’s advice is to wear glasses, just have a bit of blur challenge.

You don’t need text to AF. I usually do distance AF on trees, grass, bushes, etc.

1 Like

Hi there David,

I finally managed to get some time and look at this piece. I restructured some sentences and made things a bit more smooth/polished. I hope you can appreciate the changes I made. Great starters guide!

3 Likes

Thanks! And you are awesome! It sounds much more like English than before :slight_smile: It really needed this polish.

1 Like

As far as I understand Jake recommends wearing glasses for two reason:

• most people feel bad and frustrated and stressed without being close to clear vision. This is definitely not a case for you :slight_smile:
  • ultimately what makes your eyes improving is the active focus. That you “show” your eyes that it could be clearer.

So because the first one is not a problem for you and if you can use active focus with your current blur levels and blur horizon that it may be possible that you can improve this way. But you have to experiment with it, because there is not much data with this as far as I know. If you already lived this like for long I don’t think you could make with active focus your eye worse, so in worst case you just won’t improve.

But again, this is just an educated guess from me.

FWIW, when I try to read the guide at the link provided I get a message that it moved or it’s private. Is that intentional or perhaps I’m not authorized to view it?

The rough guide is available for people in this forum who attained level 3 or higher (just below moderator and upwards). It can also be accessed if you make a small donation to the EM cause, thereby bypassing the need to attain enough status in here.

This is intentional, the rough guide is a compacted version containing most of the EM teachings and if this is freely available in here, it will greatly undermine outreach efforts and the backto2020 course. It’s nothing personal, it’s just better for the future of EM and getting it more out there.

2 Likes

@Laurens Thank you kindly for the reply. I have no problem with what you’ve explained.

Sorry to be a downer, but I do have a problem with this…

1 - I recently received an unsolicited email from Jake describing the Rough Guide and characterizing it as being free. But in reality you’ve confirmed that it’s actually kept behind a paywall.

2 - FWIW, I did actually make a contribution to Jake through Paypal. I didn’t do so to gain access to any info or guide - I simply felt like supporting his efforts. This was before I received Jake’s email inviting me to access this (supposedly) free guide.

As for my forum account level? Beats me. (Nor do I really care what level number I am).

I participate on the forum because it seems like a nice community aimed at helping others improve their eyesight.

So with all due respect, since the decision was made to keep the Rough Guide behind a paywall - or require some forum level # to be achieved - then emails shouldn’t be sent out to folks telling them it’s free when in fact it’s not.

If folks coming to join the Endmyopia community continue to experience this disconnect between what is said vs what is done, it will not reflect highly on the community itself.

Food for thought.

1 Like

Jake has shown me how it’s being presented and it’s fairly said that you need to achieve the proper level in here to get it for “free”. But if you feel like this needs to be clarified even further, make a suggestion to @jakey to improve upon this.

Regardless, you are now added and able to see the guide. I don’t keep track of the donations because they are managed through a different system and the real access is in a subsection of the backto2020 forum.

@Laurens First of all, I thank you kindly for providing Guide access. I plan on giving it a careful read shortly.

I can’t speak to what’s being presented elsewhere but the email I received said this:

Jake’s email: “… 11 chapter long “rough guide” for all the main steps for improving eyesight… you might be interested in checking it out… It’s available for free, though as well for a (much encouraged) donation… Check out the 11 chapter ‘rough guide’ option here

Obviously I did not provide an actual link above in this post, but it takes you to a paywall page in which a payment of at least $29 is required to proceed to the Guide.

Please don’t get me wrong… I’m not suggesting that Jake or Endmyopia is in any way required to give stuff away for free. Charging folks for valuable content is entirely appropriate and reasonable.

My purpose was simply to raise the point that since the copy of an unsolicited email clearly offers a free guide (even while asking for a voluntary contribution), it’s then proper form to actually make it available on such terms.

And again, if I weren’t a fan of Jake, his Endmyopia website, and this forum, I wouldn’t be participating (nor would I have previously sent a paypal donation to Jake’s email in the first place).

Hopefully this perspective is taken in the constructive spirit in which it’s offered.

Cheers :nerd_face:

3 Likes

We can take a look at the verbiage again, though it seemed pretty clear to me:

Along with this, the purpose and intent of the guide as a two way street is also pretty clearly explained in both the e-mail and the guide sign-up itself. https://courses.endmyopia.org/le-rough-guide-sign-up

I really think we’re doing plenty for free on the non two way street format already. I’m giving out a ton of my time and resources, and none of this is really ideal to help endmyopia grow. We do need the financial resources to support the people who help build the things that I myself can not.

We don’t have a donation system.

@SomeGuy you’ve also complained about this via e-mail to me personally now, as well as here. I honestly don’t quite understand the issue, though it is possible that no-one else has taken the time to bring it up so far (or the explanations are reasonably clear). It’s a bit counterproductive to take up multiple e-mails to me to complain about free resources and tends to add to my frustration level.

Of course I realize you have good intentions and appreciate all of your contributions. Just consider that I get hundreds of e-mails a day and “why’s more stuff not free” is somewhat high on my list of annoyances. Also possible to either chose to message me OR bring it up in the forum. :wink:

2 Likes

@jakey Well, sadly it seems my motivations were misconstrued after all and angst seems to be rising. Yes indeed, as a courtesy I also sent you a direct email with a similar message; I assumed you’d appreciate that approach.

To restate my sole point: the email I received contained a single link - i.e., to a paywall page. And this was inconsistent with the characterization of a free offer made within the email. That’s all.

[Frankly, since I’m still too lame to figure out how to access the Rough Guide, whatever it might clarify about such terms remains a mystery to me.]

Again, I admire what you’ve accomplished and, on a personal level, me and my aging eyeballs greatly appreciate it. You can give away stuff - or not - as you see fit. That was neither my concern nor my issue.

Not much else I can say without repeating my original point.

If you care to boot me off of the forum, that’s your call. Regardless, I’ll continue to wish you well.

G-dspeed.

2 Likes