Smartphone vs computer screen discussion continued

Another thing is your face can actually block portions of the image from one eye or the other.

And the close distance messes up a whole bunch of things.

LIke it!

I’m less scientific about this stuff than either of you all are (I’m glad that you are!), but it all makes sense. I’m doing my own 100 day experiment where I give myself a 1 minute time limit for looking at my smart phone. I’m expecting this to give me a boost .

I would hypothesize that some of us really have to get everything right in terms of visual habits to make continual progress of get to this finish line, and smart phone use is definitely one of the things that can mess us our eyes.

1 Like

One thing I like about being on the computer is that when I push the computer monitor back to the edge of blur, and I see something blurry, my first instince is to active focus, not lean in closer.
If Im on the phone I always pull the phone closer unless Im conscious about it.

The distance from the screen can be a lot different too. I got the monitor at 75cm currently. Been thinking about buying a bigger monitor and putting it at 100cm. Not sure if it will make a difference though.

Right. With the phone, you’re just seeing a blurred background of things further away because it takes up less of your visual field. But at the same time, the brain tends to ignore the periphery and tries to focus your visual attention mostly on the small central portion, creating the tunnel vision situation. Trying to remain aware of the periphery in this situation can help, but there’s often a struggle sine you only have so much visual attention at near to devote.

With a computer screen that’s say 20 inches, you’re not just using central vision (unless you sit further away than 80cm or so, roughly, maybe). I wouldn’t be surprised if we eventually find through research that active focus works better when more than just central vision is engaged on the target.