Starting Experience And Experiment

I started measuring my vision daily in August, after reading tons of EM blog posts to figure out what I was doing. I didn’t trust my official prescription, especially for astigmatism, and had switched from my current prescribed glasses to an older unknown strength pair when I realized I didn’t have an astigmatism until I wore those glasses long enough to adjust to them. They distorted the ground when I got them, but someone talked me out of returning them, because neither of us understood what was going on.

Anyway, about the experiment. In the process of learning to measure my own vision, and reading tons of blog posts (while practicing active focus on them), I realized that I could probably figure out how to force my ciliary muscle to relax. I used a progressive relaxation meditation technique, and sure enough, I became fully aware of the feeling of strain and got it to release. It hurt. It hurt that night, and the next morning, and I was hyper-sensitive to strain for a couple of days before it calmed down. I continued to release my eye strain each night, and it kept getting easier. I also saw a quarter diopter improvement after the first couple of days doing this, and I hadn’t finished my first week of measuring, and I had a noticeable improvement in my eyes’ speed in adjusting to the dark. Very exciting! I was pretty sure there was more built up strain in my eyes that I hadn’t released yet, too.

Then I kind of fell off the wagon of doing any of this stuff for a couple of weeks, my differential glasses got lost, and with everything going on, I lost focus and willpower. I wanted to start again, so this past week, I started doing my bed time eye relaxation again. I feel like I got much deeper into the strain this time, and releasing the layers of strain I’d done before remained easier. It was painful to even look at my phone at all while my eyes adjusted this time. What I didn’t do was any active focus until my eyes calmed down.

So, does releasing the ciliary spasm without using active focus improve your vision clarity? It didn’t for me, my brain needs the active focus to recalibrate.

7 Likes

Could you talk about it a bit more? :slight_smile:

In my experience relaxing is a prerequisite for AF, but AF needed for improvement.

2 Likes

I would also really like to which technique, could you explain a little more? That sound very interesting.

If you’ve never done a progressive relaxation meditation before, you can often find guided ones that are intended to help you fall asleep. The ones I learned from focus on the whole body, though, so my version for this is modified. Instead of something like relaxing your bicep, then your forearm, then your hands and then your fingers, I’m focusing on the face and eyes only.

I start by laying down and being generally relaxed and comfortable, taking deep, slow breaths. With each exhale, I try to release tension. Maybe first from the eyebrows and forehead, next two breaths the jaw, next breath the eyelids, and each successive breath after the rest of the face is relaxed, trying to release more tension from the eye area. I find it goes in waves of feeling nice and relaxed, then the feeling of strain starts to surface and become more intense, then it takes a few moments to begin to release, then more to release fully and return to the relaxed sensation, and then more strain will usually surface again if I continue. Tiny eye movements back and fourth can help encourage the tension to release, too.

4 Likes

That sounds great, so smart to focus it on the eyes in that way. Thank you for taking the time to explain!

1 Like

In my experience:
Vision clarity improves without AF, too. I regularly take breaks from AF’ing (months away from AF).
I found several levels of ciliary spasm release. The first release happened almost without outdoor time, but the other levels needed proper time, looking at real distance.

3 Likes

Interesting. I have definitely also found several levels of ciliary spasm. I think the difference is that I don’t have enough time outside right now. The light, distance, and you letting it take it’s time probably let your visual cortex adjust to the changes, and I just surprised mine.

what levels of ciliary spasm release did you find? could you explain more on this

for me, i find its hard to get the eyes to relax, especially due to all the strain we’ve put on them from using glasses for screens. one method to relax eyes is through palming or taking a warm hot (not burning!) cloth and letting it rest over the eyes. helps release any tenseness. Though I would like to have more of a natural meditative way to ease the strain.
where are you on this journey have you made any improvements without af so far?
definately try to get some outdoor time before the cold and winter hits,(depending where you are)

I’ve always had an easy time figuring out how to control facial muscles, so I’m curious if other people will have a lot more difficulty with my relaxation method than I did.

I’m at the beginning of my journey, though I made some progress before, I stopped having good habits and lost them. I haven’t really noticed any gains without active focus, but once I added active focus again, I got back my “beginner gains” from my previous attempt.

But at the same time hopefully you have less screentime for the same newborn reason, too…