Strategy in reducing differentials or normalised

I have been using my first differentials for the more than 4 weeks. I sense that this is strong enough for me to push my screen beyond my desk. I will wait for another two weeks to reduce my differentials, which I will reduce by 0.25 SPH in both eyes. This idea occurred to me that I can keep on reducing my differentials until it is not possible anymore, and then order my first normalised. In this journey, I prefer to take small steps, well spaced, so that my eyes and brain get maximum time to adjust.

2 Likes

In my experience, reducing for near work is much easier than reducing for distance, since you can transition smoothly by going a few centimeters closer after you reduce. So if I were unable to get blur at my working distance, I’d reduce my computer glasses pretty quickly.

5 Likes

Well normalized and differentials reductions usually happen simultaneously. When you can see clearly with he initial differential reduction then you will find that your current glasses are also becoming stronger and you can see a line on the snellen stronger.
so if you mean that you are going to keep reducing the differentials until you do not need it any longer, without getting normalized, gains / progress might be slower

1 Like

I suspect you’re in for some eyestrain if you follow this plan.

Basically, as I understand it, differential and normalized are staggered, introducing diffs first, then norms, and leading the next reduction with diffs and so on.

I think if you change the focal plane, such as an equalizing change, both diffs and norms need to change at the same time.

Good luck with your journey!

I suspect you’re in for some eyestrain if you follow this plan.

Basically, as I understand it, differential and normalized are staggered, introducing diffs first, then norms, and leading the next reduction with diffs and so on.

I think if you change the focal plane, such as an equalizing change, both diffs and norms need to change at the same time.

Good luck with your journey!

My first differential is 1.25 SPH less than my full correction. Now, I feel that I can slash more. I want to take baby steps, so slashing 0.25 would be appropriate. I want to wear the second one for 4 weeks before ordering the normalised. I want the progress to steady and irreversible.

My first differentials are 1.25 weaker than my full correction. I want to wear the recommended 1.5 weaker lenses and improve on it before ordering the normalised. I am actually okay with slow progress but not an unsteady progress.

Optometrist recommended correction is LE -7 SPH -1 CYL and RE -5.25 -0.75 CYL. I am not at all thinking that its possible to keep on reducing my differentials without starting with normalised. I just want to figure out the maximum difference between the differentials and full correction which my eyes will accept and improve.

1 Like

Highly dependent on your circumstances. If you’re using a laptop vs using a monitor an additional 50cm away, your diffs numbers will differ as needed.

When your axial length improves, so will your overall vision, requiring a change in norms to get blur challenge and diffs to get a blur horizon for AF and strain reduction at near.

Sounds like you’re on the right track!

1 Like

I slashed just 1.25 to get my first differentials and I want to move to the standard differentials which is 1.50 less. If I see improvement with the standard recommended differentials, then I will feel more confident and order my first normalised. I know that this will make the initial progress slow, but, its okay. An important observation is that the first differentials are now stronger than it was on the first day and I don’t get close-up strain.

This also makes me think whether we may benefit or happen to get multiple differential reductions in between two normalised reductions.

1 Like

Actually I saw a video from Jake saying you should alternate differential and normalised reductions, never both at the same time so that you always have some nice familiar glasses. 4-6 weeks between any change

My thoughts are in this direction, how much should we reduce for close -up work before getting the first normalised. What I understood from Jake’s video’s and blogs is that reductions in differentials is easier to control than distance. There won’t be much benefit if I don’t reduce close-up enough before going for reductions in normalised.

I’ll look to see if I can find it, but when you’re equalizing, I think you want to change both norms and diffs at the same time, based on another vídeo from @jakey.

Will update with link when I get home. https://youtu.be/0VlOWU2Hn0E

1 Like

Yup. Once you dig in there’s definitely quite a few scenarios with all these things. Generally alternate reductions, though when changing relative focal plane ratios, often better to address them in all corrections (still with a bit of a gap just to make sure the change works - usually starting with differentials).

2 Likes