Stuck at the beginning

Hello, everyone.
I have found endmyopia on feb 2020.I bought my first pair of differential on may but got my normalized on october.No special reason for the delay.I was just not ready to start the journey yet.I expected to get an improvement by now.But I’m still at the same point.
Except going outdoors,I had followed all other recommended habits such as doing AF, wearing differential, no more than 3 consecutive hrs for closeup etc.I mainly do AF while watching tv or reading books.

First prescription (2018):
 Os- sph -2 cyl 0 axis 0    Od- sph -2.75 cyl 0 axis 0

second/Last prescription (Feb,2020):
 Os- sph -3.5 cyl 0 axis 0  od- sph -4 (20/30) cyl 0 axis 0

First differential(May,2020): 
 os-sph -1.5 cyl 0 axis 0  od- sph -2 cyl 0 axis 0

First normalized  (oct,2020):
 os- sph -2.5  od- sph -3

Second differential (oct.2020):
 os- sph -2   od- sph -2.5

I had a 0.75 diopter gap at first. But as my second pair was a huge increase from the previous one, my opto corrected my right eye/non dominant eye only to 20/30 which resulted in a 0.5 diopter gap.
And my first normalized is 1 diopter less than the full prescription cause that’s what my cm measurement suggested.With this pair I can see 20/50 or 20/40 with my left eye and slight blurry 20/50 with my right eye on snellen(3m) chart.At that time my cm measurement was R.eye-31-32 & L.eye-36-38.But now it’s R.eye-29 & L.eye-34.
So what should i do now? Should I increase my normalized or stick with this pair and start going outdoors?

Welcome to the forum

Apparently you gave a 1D challenge to the left eye and a 1.5D challenge to the weaker / non-dominant right eye (to be precise the opto gave 0.5D challenge and you added an extra 1D drop).
Consider your full opto correction to be -3.5D and -4.5D, i.e. what would have been the correction at the opto to 20/20 vision. So in reality you are starting with a 1D difference between eyes.

If seeing 20/50 slightly blurry is the best you can do, meaning this is the best visual acuity when your eyes are not tired yet and the lights are optimal, then this indeed seems to be a bit of a too much drop for your eyes to cope with.
If 20/50 sligthly blurry is the vision at the end of an exhausting day at artificial rubbish lights, it may be just a matter of time, if(!) during the day you are closer to 20/25 or 20/30.

The good news is that you have no cyl, so the N1 glasses can be used - just maybe later.

So what are the conditions around your 20/50 measurement for normalised? (tiredness and lights)
And how do the differentials work for you? do they give you equal clarity?

1 Like

There was no tiredness but the lights were not optimal,indeed.

For the differentials, my left eye sees brighter than the right eye.My cm measurement with differential is more for my left eye than the right one.
I did some test with different powers & here’s the result:

L.eye- sph -3 20/30 sharp, 20/25 neither sharp nor blur
R.eye-sph -3.5 20/50 clear
L.eye- sph -3.25 20/20 clear
R.eye-sph -3.75 20/40 clear 20/30 clear if I look for a bit
R.eye-sph -4 20/30 clear 20/25 clear if I look for a bit

will it be a problem if I don’t start with a 1 diopter gap?And what is the consequence of not having the same diopter gap for differential and normalized?

EM is about tailoring the basic ideas to your specific needs. Feel free to experiment. You haven’t been fully corrected before in the right eye so your brain is not used to receiving images with full difference either. So it is very likely you can trigger both eyes to improve without stepping up to full correction on the weaker eye. And if so, that’ll be a big gain for later.

Again, you’ll see for yourself.
It is actually quite common. People often equalise differentials first but keep the gap for the norms for a while. Similarly people often drop the cyl from differentials but keep it for the norms. People seem to be able to get away with more with close up distance, but be more annoyed with DV or blur when looking further away.
The only thing I would make sure is not to let the stronger eye fully control the distance vision. (But then again there are a few people who are OK with that, too. But I just like to keep my team together)

Bianca’s got some great points.
I’m not going to delve into your specific diopters, too difficult.
But keeping it high level advice.

• Alot of people when they’re in a plateau go back up 0.25 or so, to reduce blur challenge. I know its a pain and it feels like your going ‘backwards’ but really its not. One step back = two steps forward.

• Have you considered blur adapatation?

I think that -3.25 and -4 will be a good pair to start with.If that works then I will use my current norm as an equalization step.

Me too.

Thanks for the help,Bianca.

1 Like

Ya,I’m gonna restart the journey again by going up 0.75-1 diopter.

I have considered that.But I don’t think that I’m blur adapted. I can AF with my current norm for a certain amount of blur.I wear my full prescription from time to time to let my visual cortex remember what I’m aiming for.
Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

ok good luck!

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea. I have found trying to take short cuts - even seemingly small ones, leads to slower/no progress.

And your norms and your diffs should be the same balance. Maybe you can get away with a difference, but it is not recommended. And even though you would normally stagger reductions between norms and diffs, if you are changing diopter gaps in one, it is generally recommended by Jake to change both gaps at once. Keep things simple for the visual cortex. If it is confused about what you want, it may not dare to make changes…

Sounds quite threatening.
It seems like a lot of trial and error awaiting my journey.

I’ll check for one or two weeks how everything goes and if it doesn’t work I’ll fall back to the default plan.

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

Not threatening, just good to know if things aren’t working out - that it isn’t because your eyes can’t do it. And yeah, some trial and error at least for sure. But it’s all part of the fun.

1 Like