Subtle bad eye habits

So working through years of bad eye habits and found an odd one today.

When I go walking outside the intention is to most look into the distance with natural light. However, what actually happens is that as I walk forward I keep looking at the ground a step or so infront of me, and sometimes I stay in that focus for 5 plus minuutes of walking or so. I became aware of it today, but not an easy habit to kick. It seems that looking down doesn’t fully reveal where I step (think walking down stairs) as there is a blur to the view beneth your glasses, looking almost straight down your nose.
So I’m often or constantly focused on the step infront of me incase there is an item (stone/pothole) that might cause me to fall/mis-step.

Anyone else have this habit, or do you have any bad habits? Care to share?

6 Likes

I has the same habit. I got way better in by reminding myself to not look at the ground.

I also has the habit to look far away but just let everything be in blur and not focusing to anything. Especially if I’m into some thoughts or speaking with someone. I’m still battling with this one.

3 Likes

I discovered this issue today too. Very interesting. Let’s change it then.

2 Likes

A good way to break the habit is to look down at the floor 30 steps or so ahead of you so you can avoid dog droppings for example. After stepping in dog droppings a few times in my childhood, I too always look at the ground occasionally!

3 Likes

I am also guilty of this habit - and was completely unaware of it for years and years. I thought it was just an odd thing that when we went bush walking, my partner would always know where we were relative to landmarks in the distance, but I would be the one who’d spot the wildflowers. It wasn’t till I started working on improving my vision that the penny dropped - I look down, he looks up, I am myopic, he is not! And it is hard to curb this tendency.
I’ve had to come up with all sorts of tricks to make myself look up: I follow birds in flight, I trace the outlines of distant trees and buildings with my eyes or I look for the negative spaces between trees and buildings. When on public transport or in the city, I look for different colours: Monday is blue, Tuesday is orange, etc - I count how many blue backpacks or shoes or jumpers or cars I can spot until I get to 50, and then I start all over again. No more going into a dreamy reverie for me!

6 Likes

Since I am determined to improve my eyesight I make a conscious effort to look into the distance.
I have a question: Does your eyesight get better when you look into the distance but you cant see far far into the distance, yet you still look anyway?
Example, when a plane goes by, it can be way up there, but there is no way I can see clearly the components with normalized glasses. Does that improve eyesight, because technically I am not using active focus. just i guess relaxing the cixiliary muscle

Only active focus improves eyesight. So the only thing matter if the vision gets clearer or not. If you just look far away but the amount of blur does not change then it does nothing. If you look far away, it’s blurry, you use active focus and it gets a bit less blurry (or clear) then it improves your eyesight.

2 Likes