Test Lens kit which could be delivered to Austria

Hi there,

could someone recommend me a test lens kit that is not that expensive (it would be ok for me to pay 200 eur maximum).

Also I would need a test kit which could be delivered to Vienna, Austria.

Could someone recommend me a good product?

Michaela

1 Like

try this one

I had good luck buying individual lenses from this seller in China. They ship to Austria, it should take 2-3 weeks to arrive. My order was kind of complicated because I wanted specific individual lenses and they didn’t make any mistakes. Looks like it should be about 75 EUR including shipping to Austria.

nycmao you are a genius!

This test lens kit seems exactly what I want!

I would like to get lenses especially for my son but also for myself. I found a way how to measure the PD and it looks like it seems to be 7 cm in the case of my son and also 7 cm in my case. But Im not sure if I measured it correctly.

I could try to get the optometrist to measure it. Is there any reliable fool-proof way how I can measure it myself?

It would be great to find out that our PDs are the same, that way I would not need to order specific lenses for myself and specific ones for my son.

For my son, I would really need lenses which would be -2 and lower. I do have a higher myopia (but I have been able to correct it already a bit). I started with -6.25 and my contact lenses were -5.75.

Today, my contact lenses are -2.75. They are probably a bit weak and my normalised should be -3 (with this power I might see 20/30). So I would see 20/20 with the power of -3.25D - that being my 20/20 myopia.

If there is a way how to measure my PD in a reliable way, could you point me how to do it?

1 Like

You want to measure from the center of the pupil to the center of the other pupil, 70mm sounds a little large, I have a pretty big head and mine is 67mm. I’d call and ask the optometrist, and then double check with a ruler. Here are a couple of online how-to guides.

https://goggles4u.com/pd

actually I tried to measure it with a tailor´s (dressmaker) measuring device but it was kind of difficult. The good thing was that this measuring device could be bent so I did not measure it like a straight line but sort of aligning the devide with the shape of his face - starting from the middle of his right pupil, leading the devide over his nose and I ended up in the centre of his other pupil.

But it was very difficult to measure it and Im sure it did not provide me with an exact measurement.

Thank you for the link, I will check the video!

I think you’ll want a flat ruler rather than a flexible one.

According to glassesusa.com

• The average PD measurement for an adult is 62 millimeters, so if you order glasses and don’t fill in your pupillary distance value, your glasses will be crafted based on the adult average.
  • The normal range for an adult PD is 54-74 mm
  • For kids’ glasses, the normal PD range is 43-54 mm

Well, the proper way to find PD is through corneal reflex pupillometry via use of a digital centration device (DCD) or a pupilometer to measure monocular PD’s at both near and far distance. So the best way is to go to an optician and ask for them to measure your PD (for distance at least, but also ask to measure PD at 60cm since that is what you’ll need for computer use). Some opticians will measure your PD for free, others may refuse or ask for a token payment of some kind. PD doesn’t change that much in adults unless your prescription changes a lot, so you can usually do it once and write the numbers down somewhere.

You could also buy your own pupilometer. The top of the line models can be pricey, but you can find them used on eBay, or buy cheap units on Ali Express. You’ll still need someone else to assist you with the measurement (someone has to operate it), but it is super easy and fast.

If you don’t want to (or cannot) measure the PD accurately using a pupilometer or DCD, then you can also estimate your distance and near PD using a millimeter ruler. This method is not completely accurate but will get you close enough for single-distance glasses. It won’t work if you need to order progressive lenses or bifocals though.

For this approach, you need someone to help you. They will use the ruler to measure from pupil center to pupil center (or from the inner pupil margin of one eye to the outer pupil margin of the other eye) while looking into the distance. Then do it again while focusing on something at your target close-up working distance–this should be like 1-3mm smaller. See the following videos for some examples of how to use a millimeter ruler to measure PD:

thank you very much Merlin! My son has another optometrist appointment in April, so I will see if they could measure his pupils. If they refuse, I could probably go to Optics where they might help me too.

Thank you for the advice on measuring the PD at the distance of 60 cm and then longer distance.

If you’re there for an actual eye appointment, I would imagine that most optometrists should perform a PD measurement as part of the eye exam and refraction process if you ask for it. At the least they will do an estimate using a millimeter ruler or read off the measurement from the phoropter, which is good enough to order single-vision glasses online.

The opticians (the people who dispense glasses) are the ones who will have the pupilometer or DCD to do a proper PD measurement. If you say you’re considering progressive lenses for your glasses, they have to do a more precise PD measurement for those anyway. Though they will probably just measure your distance PD and then calculate your near PD rather than take both far and near measurements.

My comment above about them refusing is more targeted on people who might walk into an optician’s or optometrist’s office and ask them to provide a PD measurement. If you’re not there to buy glasses or see the optometrist, then they are less likely to want to help.

exactly, it is better to make them think that I want to buy stuff!

Just tell me, what does a “progressive lense” mean?

Hi Merlin and other users. I was able to get a PD for my son and myself.

My one- R eye distance from the middle to pupil is 30.5 mm
L - eye the distance is 31 mm

My son has 29.5 mm on both eyes.

My first question is - how come that the distance on both eyes in my case is not totally the same? Does it mean that i have a crooked face? :thinking:

If the total PD of my son is 59 and my one is 61.5… is the difference between us small enough so that i could get the same test lens set for us both with a PD being compromise of 60 mm?

Or do i HAVE to purchase 2 sets of lenses, one for Tim and the other one for myself?

It would be cool and also cheaper if we could share some lenses!

Michaela

The lenses are the same, so you don’t need more than one trial lens kit. It’s just the trial frame, you can buy an adjustable trial frame or you can buy them pre-sized to a PD. I think the adjustable trial lens frames are about 20 EUR.

The individual pre-sized trial frames are a few EUR each, probably under 10 EUR shipped to Austria.

As a practical matter a single 60 mm trial frame would probably work OK for both of you.

I’m not sure if the trial frame that comes with the trial lens kit is adjustable or not.

Amazon sells a box of 8 frames in different sizes for $50

https://www.amazon.com/Optometry-Optician-Optical-Adjustable-PD56-70mm/dp/B08D3Q8GPB/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=trial+lens+frame&qid=1616525215

Nycmao but if I was to order the test lens kit from China - the one you had, does that come with an adjustable frame or not?

I would probably contact the company you sent me a link to because I dont need the whole kit full of 100 lenses. I would really need lenses starting from -3.5 D going to 0. I would also get astigmatism lenses starting with astigmatism being -1. So I would not really need the whole set but much less than that and it would end up costing less.

So when you made your order, did it come with a frame having your specific PD or was it adjustable?

I didn’t order a complete kit, I ordered some individual lenses from the seller that offers the $76 test kit that comes with a test frame (I’m not sure what size or whether or not its adjustable). I bought a used test frame and some used lenses from an optometrist in the Air Force on Ebay for $20.

My PD is 67 mm and my test frame is 66 mm.

You can buy a test frame in whatever size you like for $10 or an adjustable one for $20.

Individual lenses are several dollars each plus shipping, I think you’d probably be better served by just buying the complete kit and an adjustable test frame (less than 100 EUR total) rather than trying to assemble one yourself from various sellers, especially since you’re sharing it.

Realistically you’re looking at spending a minimum of 50 EUR and a maximum of 100 EUR for a cheap testing setup, I would guess that you’ll run into a friend or relative someday who wants to try out the test kit and if you ever decided you wanted to sell it, you’d probably get your money back out of the complete kit more easily.

On the other hand, you don’t really NEED a test kit, but at least for me I feel the money was very well spent. It’s much easier to try and see what lenses actually do than to imagine what effect they’re likely to have.

That is exactly the reason why i want a test kit myself. So u are suggesting that i should buy a complete kit, i will try to look around for some links but so far i havent seen one as cheap as 100 eur ,:frowning:

I don’t know how much shipping to Austria is, to USA it’s 85 EUR with free shipping. I think this is probably the same kit that the seller in China has. I’ve always had good luck with Ebay, I think you could use ebay.de or maybe they have an Austrian site.

I don’t know if Craigslist is a thing in Austria, but you might also just post a notice on a local message board there and see if anyone wants to sell you their old test lens kit for 50 EUR. I’m sure there must be an optometry student who bought the cheap kit and then later bought a fancy one who doesn’t need the cheap kit anymore.

Well, nobody’s face is perfectly symmetrical, so you probably have a slight asymmetry in the distance between your nose bridge and your pupils. In some people, it can also represent a slight difference in eye muscles or convergence ability, but that is less likely. There is no need to worry about it though.

I assume the PD values you’re talking about are your distance PD. Did they also measure your intermediate distance (60 cm) or near distance (33 cm) PD values?

As others have said, the trial lens set itself is universal and can be used by anyone. PD only matters when you’re putting the lenses in front of your eyes using a trial frame. So just make sure to get a good adjustable one and you won’t have an issue. But you could be fine with a shared single PD trial frame tuned for 60 mm PD. For distance vision anyway, you’ll also need one for intermediate or near vision, which will need a 1-4 mm smaller PD depending on the distance.

Most (all?) of the time, when a trial lens set comes with a test frame, it will be a cheap, random PD, non-adjustable frame. You will definitely want to order a fully adjustable trial frame. Personally, I think the “pure titanium” models are better (they are lighter and more comfortable to wear, but not quite as adjustable), but the standard style universal frames linked above work just as well. These are the style (doesn’t need to be the same frame or supplier) that I’d recommend, for example:

It is worth it to get a better and more complete trial lens set. A small set may work if you have a less complicated prescription and low myopia and both eyes need different corrective power. But that isn’t usually how it works. A larger set is nice because they provide two of each lens power and offer a wider range of powers, including both plus and minus lenses. This makes it easier to build frames with the exact correction that you need. It also allows you to do proper home refractions to validate changes in eyesight. You can’t as easily do that with a smaller kit… well you could, but you’d have to buy two of them.

Common size options are 68-piece, 104-piece, 232-piece, and 266-piece sets. I would not recommend the 68-piece set. The 104-piece set isn’t much better, but at least they usually offer two of each included lens. While it may be more expensive, it is worthwhile to look for a 232 or 266 piece set, particularly if you plan to share it with your son. It is cheaper than buying two smaller test kits. That way you have enough lenses to cover most prescriptions, and you could buy two trial frames and try out lenses for each of you at the same time. You can usually find great deals on places like eBay for used trial lens sets that are well less than retail price too. If you cannot find a 232 or 266 piece set that is in your budget, go for a 104 piece set, but you may have to stack lenses a bit to get your proper prescription. (Stacking lenses isn’t usually a good idea since it provides less visual acuity, amplifies any imperfections in the lenses, and messes with vertex distance.)

guys thank you so much for your answer! I will then try to look around for a 266 piece set.

I have another, rather stupid question. If I was to buy a full test lens kit and saw that it comes with a non-adjustable frame and then I would order a frame separately from a different company, would it work?

Are the frames compatible with all the lens kits?

I recommend that you order an adjustable trial frame at the same time as the test lens kit if you can manage it. If your kit includes a trial frame you are probably not going to end up with one that you can actually use. It seems like kids’ size trial frames tend to be the most common. So if you don’t order an adjustable (or 60mm fixed PD) trial lens frame you’re not going to be able to use the test lens kit until you do.

In practice lenses and frames are standardized to 38mm OD lenses, so if you get a decent kit you should be fine. However, if you get some off-brand kit it is possible that you’ll get something else. I think the chances of that are pretty low though.