The big question about all of this

Its clear that vision can get better over time, and it’s possible to reduce and eventually eliminate myopia. That’s not even a question anymore.

But here’s the real question, and the thing I’m still very unsure/skeptical about. I want to see data on this topic to answer it. If the data exists, let’s look at it. If not, I want to see it collected. Logic isn’t going to cut it. As far as I can tell, the jury is still out:

Does improving myopia have a real affect on the health status of the eye? And if so, how long does it take for the risk of retinal problems and other myopic complications to decrease once someone begins a program like this?

6 Likes

We won’t truly know the long term effects until someone does a study on this. Theoretically and logically, as you say, this makes a lot of sense, but I have qualms about this thing too. Not that I don’t believe it, I sure do, and am happy that I will have my 20/20 vision back in about a year and a half.

We need definite studies that would start following people with various degrees of myopia before starting improving their vision and follow them all the way until they get to 20/20. Then the study should have a control group with corresponding degrees of myopia who should be followed for many years as well. Both groups of people should be followed basically until their deaths in order to determine what complications related to eyesight they develop and if there is a statistically significant difference between the two groups. Both the study group and the control group should be standardized according to multiple variables such as age, degree of refractive error, and possibly even motivational level to stick with improving vision for many years, and maybe some others too. During the study, various eye measurements, such as the axial length of the eye, should be repeated multiple times to track their progression as well.

I doubt we’re going to see anything similar in quite a while. Jake mentioned somewhere that he had a bunch of data accumulated over the years from his students, but I don’t know without having seen it what it is and if it’s valid enough to do anything scientific with it.

In the grand scheme of things, we improve our vision using objectively better vision habits. There’s not much else we can do to decrease our risk of eye complications apart from having good vision habits, a good diet, and managing medical conditions that are known to result in visual complications (e.g., diabetes mellitus, arterial hypertension, atherosclerosis, etc.)

6 Likes

@SickOfMyopia, you basically covered everything. I may be in a position to help do this type of study in the future, and if so, I don’t mind helping out. I’m talking years in the future. I know it’ll be informal and I won’t get paid for it, but if we could all pitch in however we can, that would be great. It may not even make it into a publication, but I still want data for my own curiosity.

Thankfully you’re a little less likely to have problems, always having been under 2D, but even then, myopic complications can still occur if the person has enough axial elongation and retinal stretching.

1 Like

My eye pressure and field of view improved within a year after I started Bates method. Optometrist confirmed. This was even before I started getting significant reduction through End Myopia.

3 Likes

@FMR Maybe our bearded guru will initiate such study one day. :smiley: I would gladly participate in it as a lab rat but would not want to do much with the research, organization, and execution parts of it. I had to do research in medical school as a requirement for graduation and hated every minute of it.