The doctor pushed my lens to the limit

I wanted to share an experience from about 10 years ago. I visited an ophthalmologist which I had seen referenced as friendly on a Bates website. Indeed he gave me a reduced correction for closeup. He also mentioned that lasik wasn’t a good idea because it complicates treating cataracts later in life.

But this doctor did a sort of test which kind of scared me but which I found very interesting as well. On that day, he measured that my correction to see 20/20 was -6.25 and -6.75. But after this, he tried to see how strong of a correction with which I would still be able to read 20/20, with my lens working to accommodate. It got as far as -20! The purpose wasn’t to prescribe me this over correction, as I left his office with the -6.25/-6.75 correction and another reduced one for closeup. Maybe he was trying to see how well my lens could accommodate?

But I found it interesting because it made me think of optometrist visits as a child, in which I remember the doctor continually putting stronger corrections and asking if it were “better”. I think I kept saying yes each time until I detected a worried or disapproving reaction from the doctor. I probably could have had a weaker correction as a child if the doctor just stopped as soon as I could read the 20/20 line.

5 Likes

More like how much torture it could handle. With my most recent opthalmo visit, the assistant got rather ratty with me when I insisted that one test lens gave me the same acuity as another (on a projected screen in a dark room). She kept on saying ‘but they are different’. I didn’t get any glasses on the basis of their prescription - had gone only for the ‘physical’ aspects of the examination as in the meantime I had learned how to calculate my own diopter needs on Endmyopia.

2 Likes

Fascinating! They never actually explain what ‘better’ is meant to be like either… smaller is not necessarily any less blur or better… it just means more minus!

1 Like

I insisted that one test lens gave me the same acuity as another

I wonder if the difference was in astigmatism. I remember a few exams where it was difficult for me to determine which of two lenses was “better”. They were different, but hard to tell which was better. I think in that case they were testing astigmatism. When it’s just bumping up or down the spherical correction, the change in acuity is more obvious.

1 Like

Yes, she was testing astigmatism - but then she should be aware of this issue, and not get ratty about it. Probably pressure of time, as this practice was run like an assembly line. I suppose this is how lens induced astigmatism can be easily created. I came out of it very happy, nevertheless, to hear that there were no physical problems.

3 Likes

My doctor done that also. Unfortunately I can’t go further than -2 or -3 more than first match.
Having trouble to see near objects with both eyes with either full or not full (20/40) correction glasses.

At start of vision therapy my accomodation range measured as 0, so R sph -10.5 and L sph -11 was first and last 20/20 at doctor’s test lens kit.

My glasses power is -9 and I am 16.

1 Like