🎥 They Said I Need Glasses?!

Quite a few questions and searches on first myopia diagnosis.

So, you know. Like a good sagely beard-stroking guru, a Jakey set off to make an explainer video and an accompanying blog post.

You’re thinking … no way. No way at all that worked out. It’s probably another giant epic rant digression, full of obscure pop culture references, conspiracy talk, flexing the stock portfolio, throwing shade at plzz-bros, and all teh grammatical faux-pas-es.

BUT YOU’D BE WRONG, thinking any of that. Objection, your honor!

(ok you were right, thinking that … shut up)

The problem of course is that the more content we put out there, the more the hurrdi-durrr contingent comes out of the woodwork. The retail establishment hates me (though why, honestly, my method would triple their lens sales), plzz-bros swamp the comment section, my inbox gets inundated by diopter advice requests, and I keep thinking … why, Jake. Why are you such a freaking masochist.

That’s why it’s always rant fests. Also a testament to the power of habits (at this point endmyopia is pretty strongly ingrained habit). Just make sure that whatever habits you let grow, don’t let them involve trying to offer counter mainstream ideas to random people on the Internet.

Put the same amount of effort into real estate development, and you’ll be rich and also emotionally un-scarred.

Cheers. :zipper_mouth_face::wink:

8 Likes

Great video. Unfortunately, most of the Optometrists, and virtually all of the lens sales associates, are indoctrinated in the illness model…they actually–most of them–don’t even know about pseudo myopia and NITM. Optometrists are taught about it, but many either forget that stuff, or have accrued confirmation biases due to human nature, so they believe it’s rare. A lot of the opticians know about ciliary spasm, but they don’t believe lenses play a big role in it. Some optometrists, because of how their training has been conducted, and studies they’ve read, may think they’re fully correcting but are actually over correcting. Many vision technicians don’t test for ciliary spasm. It’s not even on their radar. In short, most people in the business actually believe nothing or little can be done to help the situation…just like most of the general population. The difference is that the people in the field rationalize their views based on what they are taught, know, and observe.

4 Likes