Things I have learned on my vision improvement journey

The first clue that vision improvement might be possible was some years ago, when I decided to leave my contacts out for a few days over a Christmas break because my eyes were feeling over-worked. Initially, it felt weird but, within a day, my eyes were feeling relaxed and I was seeing more and more detail, just by looking around with curiosity, not straining.

About six years ago, I came across my first online vision improvement programme by Martin Sussman. It offered an eight-week schedule of exercises, visualisations and affirmations as well as reducing your use of glasses and contacts. At the end of it, my vision had definitely improved and my eyes felt better. However, I became frustrated that it did not improve further.

Three years ago, I came across Endmyopia. I immediately came to appreciate its approach, the way it made the causes of myopia clear and gave me knowledge I had never been aware of before such as diopters and how to measure your vision. Until then, I had just accepted prescriptions without understanding their basis

The genius behind the idea of Active Focus is its simplicity. I’ve always loved the way Jake described it in his lesson, Strategies For Active Focus Control.

“Blink at the text! Not violently, not in exasperation. Contemplate the blur. Blink at it, maybe move back a bit further, try it with more blur. And less blur.”

It worked and I came to understand the importance of relaxation and movement. Move your eyes, be aware of movement in your field of vision and don’t try to see.

As my vision improved further, I became more interested in the whole idea of natural vision improvement and became aware of the growing amount of information available. At this point, I think due respect should be given to Dr. William Bates. It is easy to criticise him. I came across his book in a second-hand book shop twenty years ago. I read it, it was interesting in an academic and theoretical way. It was not always easy to follow and his exercises just seemed impractical. But something about it must have sparked my initial interest.

In the last couple of years, I have come across websites and books by Meir Schneider and Nathan Oxenfeld and, a particular favourite, Mark Warren’s “Myopia is Mental”. Their core ideas are the same and compatible with Jake Steiner’s Active Focus. It can be summed up as follows: breathe, blink, relax, shift focus, allow the eyes to move and be aware of constant movement, however small, in your whole vision field.

Thanks, Jake, for your ideas and stimulus. I am almost back to 20/20. :grinning:

4 Likes

What is your current vision? And congrats on your progress

Hi Jenn,

When I joined Endmyopia in 2017, I was able to measure that I was -3D in my left eye & -4D in my right eye. I am now -0.75D left & -1.25D right.

8 Likes

Very nice! I started with -3 and the difference if cutting it in half is huge. I can only imagine your how much better your feeling at lower ranges. I am working on -1.50 -1.25 now. Slower progress at this range but I get good clear flashes alot more.

1 Like

great work!

And how about when you started 6 years ago with the previous course?
What were your eyes at their worst?

I don’t have the exact figures from six years ago but my impression was that my vision improved slightly before I joined Endmyopia.

I think the most important thing I have learned is that vision improvement requires a certain mind set. It’s why I always think that the most important idea from Jake was “contemplate the blur”. Don’t curse it, don’t strain to see better, just look at it neutrally, with curiosity while slightly moving your head.

In my reading, I came across the following, though I can’t remember the exact source, “the more we can treat our eyes like we treat our other senses, the better”.

2 Likes