This is difficult

When I started this process I wanted to know where I actually stood. I had been wearing -2.75 contacts and -3.0 glasses for at least 5 years so I went to the eye doctor who increased my glasses to -3.25. I started with -1.75 differentials since i’d been wearing +1.25 computer glasses over my -2.75 contacts for a while and figured that would give me some blur. It didn’t. So I decreased them to -1.5. Still really no blur, but I wore them for about 6 weeks before ordering -2.25 normalized. With these I do get some blur. But seeing as I do like to wear contacts when doing certain activities, I ordered -2.25 dailies based on this article by @jakey https://endmyopia.org/convert-contact-lens-prescription-glasses-prescription/. No blur whatsoever. Checking Snellen, I can clearly read the 20/12 line! The good news is that I can use the lower strength and still see, but I can’t use them to get any kind of blur. But do I need -2.0 or -1.75? (Rhetorical question, not asking diopter advice!)

It is just so hard to know what strength glasses/contacts to order. I am happy to know that the 3.25 that I was prescribed was way overprescribed and I’m closer to not needing glasses than where I started, but it is such a trial and error process. I wish it were easier.

2 Likes

If you can source cheap glasses (e.g. online), the solution is simple: get glasses in 0.25D steps in a batch and try different ones until you get the blur edge you need. You will need these glasses anyway either as normalized, or as differentials, eventually :wink:

This also solves the problem of the fact our eyes change in capability day after day, mostly in the degree you can active focus. For example, on monday I could push focus an extra quarter dioptet vs Friday, and I attribute that to 20+ hours of AF at work tiring my eye muscles :). My computer glasses on Monday were -2.25D but by Wednesday I needed -2.5D, for a example.

3 Likes

congrats. your journey is shorter than anticipated. zeeni.com is a good source. I would recommend trying glasses that are $5 a piece until you find a fit. and yeah order in batch to save on shipping. As for contacts, maybe figure out glasses first then try a pair of contacts.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I have my glasses figured, it’s the contacts not even being close to being blurry that I was venting about. That and it’s just so hit or miss. I’m becoming a Zenni frequent flyer!

1 Like

We need to come up with an “endmyopia wall”. Somewhere to shelve all your old glasses, pin up your “prescriptions”, receipts of endless online orders of reduced diopters, keep some eye charts, test lenses, and whatever else that’s part of your eyeball re-tuning efforts. :smiley:

8 Likes

Imma need a bigger bag. Next zennis already on the way. :heart:

2 Likes

I’m already getting an idea for a framed old pair of glasses at. Ha ha

1 Like

A frame of frames. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am in the same boat. Can’t make any sense with contacts + plus lenses vs differentials. Nothing is adding up. Contacts are sometimes prescribed .25 less because they sit on the eye, but then if you have a low astigmatism they will add .25 more. This all makes for very messy math. I even purchased a lens kit and still not making much headway. The time of day/lighting/too much close up/too much sugar all give various results. I drove myself batty getting my first lenses ordered. You don’t notice all these fluctuations until you start measuring things and I had lasik making me special in a bad way. So, I am doing exactly what Hoofjr advises and buying different increments. I am staying with the same three sets (Normalized, differentials and night driving) until I notice a change and then will try on a lower diopter rather than too much testing. When I wear my contacts I use plus lenses that work best with the current script, rather than what I tried to figure out. At night once while driving with my contacts in I realized I was having a lot of trouble seeing and they just were not strong enough so in desperation I put on an old pair of glasses that were around -1.25 over my contacts and could see so much better. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!

1 Like

This is a really good problem to have - Are my eyes good, better or great? :grinning:

1 Like

I think the proper term for this these collages are called “vision boards”. Very punny.

Contacts and glasses are very different. When I wore them I had glasses of -4.75 with astigmatism correction of -.5 but my contacts were a flat -4. Definitely makes for tricky math… I haven’t wore contact in like 12 years now though. Anyways I am down to -3.25 with no cylinder and looking forward to seeing 20/20 in my -3 normz soon. Looks like you are already way ahead of me and you just started :joy: best wishes

1 Like