Tips for nighttime active focus

I find it hard to do active focus at night with low lighting.

If anyone want to share tips related to nighttime vision improvement it would be nice to know

Thanks

3 Likes

If I remember well Jake says that night vision gets better as your general vision gets better. I’ve experienced this to be true. Night vision seems to be one of the last pieces in the improvement process (just the opposite of when you start to have myopia, you notice it at first in darker environment). It also seems that specific night vision training is not necessary/desirable and could strain the eyes (link to the EM article here ).

If you have troubles achieving AF at night, perhaps you could be more progressive and trying in dim light first (at sunset, indoors, on cloudy days). Or maybe going back to your previous prescription just for night time/low light conditions and active focusing with the slightly stronger glasses until you feel you can go down again with your prescription.

An other cause of the problem could be that you’re experiencing DV/misalignement at night (and not blur) and that you’re trying to AF instead of taking time to fuse the images?

That said, on the blog there is the digital clock “exercise” which can help the brain to stop giving up only because it is darker and to learn to deal with less contrast. It’s a good tip, but as you’re supposed to do it without glasses, I think it is more a tip for those with low myopia/astigmatism and who are familiar with AF.

10 Likes

Where do I find Alex’s 60’s installments that are referred to in the linked article on digital clock “exercise”?

1 Like

@Lloydmom The 60’s installments are part of the paid program (Alex is Jake’s predecessor) :wink:

1 Like

Ok thanks, drag lol been doing AF outside on sunny days and it feels like my eyes have super powers but artificial light makes something get lost in translation and it’s much harder and low light makes me feel blind :frowning_face: also spending too much time with the evil screen to try to figure out if I’m missing anything beside practice to get there…

3 Likes

It’s normal to have more difficulties to achieve AF at night or in low light environment: . Even more if you’re still in the learning stage with AF. Could be better to concentrate first on doing AF in natural daylight. All you need is some stimulus, don’t have to be in low light. Challenging your eyesight more can be done in a second time. If there is really too much blur in low light with your actual glasses, it could be an idea to use temporarly a slightly stronger glasses in low light conditions, until you’ve improved a little.

3 Likes

Thanks, it’s manageable the blur in low light, it just frustrates me because my daylight vision and AF practice set a new standard through the day then the twilight hours come and I lose that ground again. I have made gains too but that just means more relative frustration because I was getting used to the better vision in the evenings again, but then came the reduction. I know I’ll get that ground back though so toughing it out.

3 Likes

Hello. Same for me: started EM over a year ago and in the evening seems to be worse and worse… It’s frustrating. The progress in daylight is great, but in dim light it seems that I can see the same now with or without glasses - now i’m at -2.50, started at -4.50.

I have had some success in low light with high-contrast visual targets. Such as:

• books on my bookshelves with reflective gold titles
  • LED digital clock in my bedroom
  • reflections of light from shiny floors or metallic objects
  • LED light panel on my bedroom ceiling which glows very faintly even when ‘off’

As Jake said, you need high contrast to give the visual stimulus the eye seems to require to make focal adjustments. This isn’t so easy to find in artificial or low light conditions but it is still possible.

I didn’t have much success with this (or even active focus in general) until I discovered Mark Warren’s somewhat controversial technique - perhaps being aware of the shifting peripheral field adds some much-needed stimulus for some of us. Movement helps me achieve it. Also it won’t work unless my eyes are as relaxed as possible; reading first makes it much more difficult for me.

2 Likes