Tired of Being a High Myope!

Hi There,

My name is Linda. I’m in my mid-50’s and currently living in Northern California. I’m an Engineer who spends a lot of time in front of a computer monitor and, sadly, have very high myopia. Ugh.

I’m excited to get started on my EM journey and know it’s going to take a long time. But I’m up for the challenge. I’ve been wearing contact lenses for as long as I can remember – probably over 30 years. Since my myopia is so high, I don’t do well with glasses. I only wear them at night before going to bed. I plan on going through my EM journey with contacts and wearing plus lenses over them for close-up work.

I’ve taken Jake’s free 7-day course; read a lot of content on the EM blog, forum, and FB page; and watched a lot of his YouTube videos (funny guy!). I’ve started to change some of my habits, e.g., doing 20/20/20, getting outside, and reducing phone screentime. For now, I’ve been minimizing my close-up work (wearing full-strength contacts) by sitting about 80 cm from my monitor using a wireless keyboard and mouse. I’ll be using plus lenses as soon as I figure out which ones I need.

My Rx:
Contacts: -9.50R, -9.00L
Glasses: -10.50R, -10.00L
Note: My optometrist has been intentionally fitting my left eye at the lower strength for close-up, i.e., to create monovision. My naked eyes are pretty even.

Anyway, that’s me and my eyes, in a nutshell. I look forward to learning from other high myopes, who have been successful in their EM journey while wearing contacts. While it would be awesome to get to 20/20 someday (a pipe dream), I know it may not be realistic. My goal is to at least get to a moderate myopia level (around -5 or so), so that I can reduce the risk of developing those potential issues related to high myopia (i.e., detached retina, cataract, macular degeneration, etc.).

Wish me luck!

Linda

7 Likes

Good luck on your journey!

I’m not sure why your progress would stop at -5. Once you stop cilliary spasm and take away the excessive accommodation caused by doing so much close work through your minus correction, the pressures that created the myopia should be relieved and I would bet that you could continue to improve right past -5.

You basically want to convert your “near” environment to a “far” environment. Maybe try +1.5 or +1.25 over your contact lenses when you’re at the computer, whatever allows you to do “text pushing” at a comfortable viewing distance. You’ll want as much outdoor time and true distance as you can fit into your life.

As an engineer, you might enjoy Otis Brown’s book How To Avoid Nearsightedness He argues that the eye adapts to its environment, and made an electrical engineering analog computer model of accommodation and myopia. I think he worked in aerospace and NASA. He’s pretty conservative in his views, and suggested that -2D myopia can be fixed, but one of his co-workers went from -5 to passing the drivers license test. He’s kind of the classic “engineer” in that he’s got circuit schematics in his DIY guide after about chapter 3. :slight_smile:

Every diopter you improve is a big step away from all the bad things that can happen with high myopia, so no matter where you end up, you’ll be heading in the right direction!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. I guess I stopped at -5 diopters to temper my own expectations. Hopefully this forum will be around by the time I reach 20/20 (maybe in 10 years?), so that I can post my success story! Since I sit about 80 cm from my monitor, I think +1.25 or maybe even +1.00 plus lenses over my contacts might work. I’ll have to check out Otis Brown’s book, as it sounds quite interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Keep us posted.

2 Likes