Too much correction causing panic attacks?

So I did a little inventory of my endmyopia experience so far and came to the realization that my depressive episodes seem to correlate quite tightly to the times where I have done a lens reduction. More interesting is that in the two times that I made too much of a reduction I happen to have a panic attack within a few days.

Has anyone else experienced this? I know it sounds like some woo-woo batesy stuff but I thought I would ask and see if im imagining things :joy:.

1 Like

I should add that I’ve noticed a sense of calm when i switch back to a higher prescription. Especially during the night when my symptoms are usually worse.

1 Like

No panic attacks but if I think about not wearing glasses… which of course is the end goal… I get a kind of unreasonable fear of the idea.

1 Like

As a further note early on in the process I did have a good deal of fear about not being able to see. I never noticed it before I started EM it wasnt until I began that I realized I had this fear of what might happen if I cant see. And although I didnt correlate it with every reduction I think the thought of making reductions did give me that fear. I knew I would not be able to see with lower glasses and that is when I realized that it was a fear I had overall.

2 Likes

It is possible that you reduce too much or too fast. Jake talked about it some of his blogpost about the mental aspect of myopia (though there he talked more about the effect of losing the clear peripheral vision, but that also suggests the problem you mention here).

2 Likes

If your sense of control over your environment depends to a large extent on what you can see of that environment, a reduction could cause some panic about lack of control. As I have avoided wearing glasses as much as possible for all my myopic life, I started to depend more on hearing to be alert to the environment. I cannot tolerate having my ears covered - not that I actually panic - but I even get the feeling that I cannot see as well as usual. My ears are partly my eyes.
You might have to take care not to reduce too much, and not to do it at a time or in a situation where you know you are prone to panic attacks.

2 Likes

Maybe, but instead of aiming for 20/30 or 20/40 I always aim for 20/25 on my norms. I basically have to wait for my eyesight to reach 20/15 before I change. I think the problem stems from my high astigmatism/low myopia ratio. I think it skews the typical benchmarks for how to reduce.

3 Likes

I’ll agree. Astigmatism is a bear.

1 Like

I’ve had anxiety when my prescription went up. The brain has to devote a lot of energy to adjustment, you can’t do the things you love to do as long because of the fatigue.

You might start out wearing the new lenses just a few hours of the day and letting yourself rest after in your old lenses?

2 Likes

I had several panic attacks after I outgrew my last set of prism lenses but still kept wearing them. I also don’t feel comfortable if I drop too much like the first time I tried to go with -2.25.

1 Like

That’s basically what I’ve started to do today. I’m kinda treating it like I have three corrections instead of two. I’m still trying to parse out good times/triggers to remember to switch because today I forgot I had on my stronger prescription on basically all day.

1 Like

By definition, anxiety is generated by uncertainty. Maybe, in a twisted way (but quite probable), your anxiety comes along with an uncounscious fear of failure, the fear that you may not handle well the new reduction. Yeap, don’t let it sabotage your gains :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nothing is going to stop me. If anything this will act as a sort of therapy. The new plan is to have four scripts: night driving, day driving/out in public, indoors, and reading. This seems to be working so far, but I’ll report back if it somehow backfires.

2 Likes

It might be that with a reduction in your lens prescription your field of clear vision shrinks; there’s more blur “out there.” This can give you a sense of disorientation of where you are in the physical space, and a panic attack would be one natural response.

1 Like

You’ve got that right! Dealing with a small dose of panic, clearly generated by a specific event such as reducing your correction, may be a good way to learn to deal with larger panic attacks caused by other triggers.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced the same thing - anxiety after a reduction. Didn’t get close to panic, but I’m at the far end of my anxiety journey and haven’t had a panic episode in a long time.

When I used to get lens-related anxiety, I attributed it to the whole list of things going on. Not feeling right, sense of doom, can’t quite see right, oh no my stomach hurts a little, etc. So I never thought it was a direct response of my lens reduction. It was that, along with other anxious whispers in the background, a lens reduction created some heightened awareness of my anxiety.

So now I almost never have anxiety and reductions no longer bother me. It gets better.

2 Likes